Finally beat Blood and Wine. It was a good expansion, and I had fun playing it, but I felt like it was the worst segment of the game overall. I was way more invested into everything during the base game and Hearts of Stone than I was during Blood and Wine. Not sure how to describe it other than B&W was just hard to get invested in and attached to anyone or anything during the story. The whole vampire thing was pretty cool and how it delved into the background of vampires, but other than that, I felt the story fell pretty flat. Definitely not CDPR's finest story telling IMO. The overall environment and detail to the world was top notch as always.

Maybe it was because I waited so long to play this expansion that when it finally got here, it just didn't fully live up to what I was expecting. That and I feel like having no type of love interest kind of hurt it as well. The whole bromance with Regis was nice, but was lacking in many departments that the Witcher series tends to rely on.

Overall, a good expansion, just the worst of the two IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Finally beat Blood and Wine. It was a good expansion, and I had fun playing it, but I felt like it was the worst segment of the game overall. I was way more invested into everything during the base game and Hearts of Stone than I was during Blood and Wine. Not sure how to describe it other than B&W was just hard to get invested in and attached to anyone or anything during the story. The whole vampire thing was pretty cool and how it delved into the background of vampires, but other than that, I felt the story fell pretty flat. Definitely not CDPR's finest story telling IMO. The overall environment and detail to the world was top notch as always.

Maybe it was because I waited so long to play this expansion that when it finally got here, it just didn't fully live up to what I was expecting. That and I feel like having no type of love interest kind of hurt it as well. The whole bromance with Regis was nice, but was lacking in many departments that the Witcher series tends to rely on.

Very interesting. i've heard the opposite from others. I can't say anything about it since I haven't gotten to B&W yet.

I actually felt the way you do about B&W, while starting HoS. But then it picked up quite nicely once I met Vlad. It's been a while since i've belly laughed while sitting alone in my room playing a video game. I really hope you are wrong and B&W is on par with HoS story telling wise. But time will tell. I have a ways to go still. (Only did 1/3 of the von Everec quest)
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account

You basically sum up my thoughts on it as well. The setting was fucking beautiful and well designed. The plot however I found rather meh. Base game and HoS was better.

Finally beat Blood and Wine. It was a good expansion, and I had fun playing it, but I felt like it was the worst segment of the game overall. I was way more invested into everything during the base game and Hearts of Stone than I was during Blood and Wine. Not sure how to describe it other than B&W was just hard to get invested in and attached to anyone or anything during the story. The whole vampire thing was pretty cool and how it delved into the background of vampires, but other than that, I felt the story fell pretty flat.
    I think the story started off pretty good but started to drop At the point when Syanna came into play, i really liked the section with the Wight, especially since they kinda reference Gaunter O'dimm there.

Also liked going after this Cintrian, a major blunder that this guy was literally dropped out of the window and not seen again, not even checking his corpse for any clues.

What bothers me about this whole Vampire thing, they place a rather big plot point on the fact that only a Higher Vampire can kill another Higher Vampire yet in the maingame you slay a Higher Vampire (Hubert Rejk during the Novigrad quest "Carnal Sins") and Eskel talks about in Kaer Morhen how he slew a higher Vampire, there this whole "Higher Vampires can regenerate" plays no role at all, i mean you even saw how fucking fast Dettlaff regenerates from being cut in half.

Also, Hubert Rejk uses a Katakan / Ekkimara model instead one of those rather cool Higher Vampire models like Dettlaff / Regis.

Last edited by Kralljin; 2016-06-23 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I think the story started off pretty good but started to drop At the point when Syanna came into play, i really liked the section with the Wight, especially since they kinda reference Gaunter O'dimm there.

Also liked going after this Cintrian, a major blunder that this guy was literally dropped out of the window and not seen again, not even checking his corpse for any clues.

What bothers me about this whole Vampire thing, they place a rather big plot point on the fact that only a Higher Vampire can kill another Higher Vampire yet in the maingame you slay a Higher Vampire (Hubert Rejk during the Novigrad quest "Carnal Sins") and Eskel talks about in Kaer Morhen how he slew a higher Vampire, there this whole "Higher Vampires can regenerate" plays no role at all, i mean you even saw how fucking fast Dettlaff regenerates from being cut in half.

Also, Hubert Rejk uses a Katakan / Ekkimara model instead one of those rather cool Higher Vampire models like Dettlaff / Regis.

Yeah, like I said....the story telling wasn't up to the usual standards of CDPR in my opinion. The world detail and environment was spot on as usual though.

Deleted
    urgh I'm level 25 and I'm at the quest to recover Ciri from the mist isle I've done all the contracts and secondary quest I found, but I'm nowhere near a level in which I'm comfortable doing the expansion content. I really wanted to do the new content before doing the last fights but I suppose I won't have that chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    urgh I'm level 25 and I'm at the quest to recover Ciri from the mist isle I've done all the contracts and secondary quest I found, but I'm nowhere near a level in which I'm comfortable doing the expansion content. I really wanted to do the new content before doing the last fights but I suppose I won't have that chance.
    Go hunt down more of the '?' on the map. It can lead you to treasure hunts and such which will help you increase in levels.

Also, I don't want to spoil anything, but don't worry about what level you are at right now and the starting level of the DLC. It will work out.

Deleted
    I did 90% of those in Velen tbh, I need to do the ones in skellige but they are a huge super pain cause they are in the middle of the sea T,T
    I will see what I can do but eh

Also I tried to start one of the missions of the DLC but I meet monster 34+ and a pack of Drowned Dead at that level when I'm 25 is not exactly fun ç_ç

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    You'll be near level 32+ at least by the time the main story is done just from following the narrative, don't worry about it and just go to the isle if you're at that points now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You'll be near level 32+ at least by the time the main story is done just from following the narrative, don't worry about it and just go to the isle if you're at that points now.
    Yup! There is still XP to be gained, before the DLC.

Deleted
    Too bad that sailing is awkward and clunky as fuck in this game. Could use some motorboating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Too bad that sailing is awkward and clunky as fuck in this game. Could use some motorboating.
    I don't find it too bad. The only real issue I have with it, is that the Sail is in the damn way from me seeing ahead of the boat. They should had made the sail transparent when you are in the boat.

Deleted
    I could use some motorboating too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mind much the way sailing was handled. Goddamn sirens though...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Nothing wrong with some sirens dropping by to keep you company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally completed the game and all DLC. Still have a bunch of '?' to discover, but the majority of the game is complete.

Deleted
    fucking quest paying homage to the asterix cartoon, in the Beauclaire bank. Absolutely glorious. Best quest ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally completed the blood and wine dlc with the best ending yay I missed from ? quests as well but completed most of the stuff in the game. I will play it again for different possibilities and stuff though !

Finally set aside some time to play this and am totally sucked into this game. One thing I recall reading from this thread was you can't romance Triss and Yen at the same time, and holy crap what a brutal let down of Yen in the close to the Wish questline. I actually felt like a complete jackass, and it's been awhile since a game made me feel something while playing it. I hope letting down Triss isn't this bad when I do a NG+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Finally set aside some time to play this and am totally sucked into this game. One thing I recall reading from this thread was you can't romance Triss and Yen at the same time, and holy crap what a brutal let down of Yen in the close to the Wish questline. I actually felt like a complete jackass, and it's been awhile since a game made me feel something while playing it. I hope letting down Triss isn't this bad when I do a NG+.
    Yeah, it was painful. I wanted to stay with Triss, because I romanced her all the way back from Witcher 1, but I also wanted to be with Yennefer, since Geralt was with her before the events in the game... Ended up going with Triss, and still felt bad about this.

Why can't I be with both?!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.