Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hyperloop Technology heading to Russia

For those of you that don't know, a "Hyperloop" is basically a RailGun fired through a vacuum that you can travel on at speeds exceeding the speed of sound, and it's probably safer than air travel.

"PUTIN SAID HYPERLOOP WILL FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE THE GLOBAL ECONOMY."

Link to article:
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/21/11...ment-magomedov

________________________________________________________________________________________

Definetely looking forward to the Hyperloop being expanded further, it's an exciting time we live in where we're colonizing space, making tubes that transport people at transonic speeds and raising solar power efficiency to 35%

10+ Year Old Account
    Can they afford it?

Good for them. They need high speed trains in America as well as light rail trains going everywhere.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish them the best. This could be great for international trade if it does work. Considering the new transportation technologies that have happened in my lifetime include crap like the segway, it would be awesome to see something actually interesting and groundbreaking like a faster than sound train be built.

The Technology is still in its early experimental stages, HyperLoop One has just recently completed a propulsion test seen here:

The technology should, however, be very cheap compared to other means of transportation. No expensive rail line or oversized air resistant super trains. You're basically riding a projectile through a low pressure environment.

I can't provide any financial estimate, but it's cheap. Really cheap.

Russia doesn't have any money.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Why do you think they're investing in this?

Deleted
    It's good, but it's no Sinclair C5

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    The technology should, however, be very cheap compared to other means of transportation. No expensive rail line or oversized air resistant super trains. You're basically riding a projectile through a low pressure environment.

It's definitely cheaper than Maglev trains, but not sure if cheaper than regular trains. Don't you need to lay down a ton of tubes, and somehow get power for the capsule's induction motor?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Russia doesn't have any money.
    That's what they want you to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say go for it Russia. Americans are competitive by nature and we lack a true competitor in the political playground. That is to say: seeing others surpass us is the quickest way to get our butts in gear.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Can they afford it?
    Yes, Russia has very low public dept (something like the 3rd lowest in the world) and something like 300-400 bln $ in reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Can they afford it?
    If we let them host another olympics they can afford it.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    It's definitely cheaper than Maglev trains, but not sure if cheaper than regular trains. Don't you need to lay down a ton of tubes, and somehow get power for the capsule's induction motor?
    The power is produced from solar panels ontop of the tubes, which is transfered to the pod as it moves along. Since there's very little air resistance, it doesn't need as much power as a regular maglev or highspeed train would.

It's 100% green energy powered, and it could even produce a net positive amount of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    The Technology is still in its early experimental stages, HyperLoop One has just recently completed a propulsion test seen here:

I imagine maintenance costs would be through the roof. maintaining a vacuum is difficult.

They can use this as a space cannon some day, honestly with space elevators and this tech they could make some low power solutions to get shit into space, just build a delivery system into one of the worlds largest mountains to reduce the distance between launch and space and then profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    They can use this as a space cannon some day, honestly with space elevators and this tech they could make some low power solutions to get shit into space, just build a delivery system into one of the worlds largest mountains to reduce the distance between launch and space and then profit!
    There has been talk about creating such a space launch system on the moon. On Earth it's totally impossible though, too much air resistance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I imagine maintenance costs would be through the roof. maintaining a vacuum is difficult.
    The low pressure environment is created by basically redirecting the air in the tube with a turbine in the front and using it to form a cushion that levitates the capsule, thus eliminating friction from wheels. Therefore a vacuum isn't really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Is it? I mean, we have a huge maze of water and gas lines underground that don't seem to be leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Is it? I mean, we have a huge maze of water and gas lines underground that don't seem to be leaking.
    well like the old saying goes, nature abhors a vacuum.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems good, althought it seems a little claustrophobic in those tubes and going to the toilet is a big no. Also, if you have an accident its literally 0% survival rate, happy days!