Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    It could be though.

Fix tickrates, tone down some of the ults, remove all the "aimbot" abilities/guns/ults and tada, you have a fun, colorful game with the potential to be played at high levels, both MLG level, and between elite players of the game at their homes worldwide.
    Careful now, you are making sense - that's not what blizz fans like.

But yeah, it could be - it's just a risk that "some" players might get discouraged from playing this game when they can't press one button and kill everything on the screen and that is a terrifying perspective for blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Careful now, you are making sense - that's not what blizz fans like.

But yeah, it could be - it's just a risk that "some" players might get discouraged from playing this game when they can't press one button and kill everything on the screen and that is a terrifying perspective for blizz.
    How cynical should we get?

Is the really low tickrate intentional to favor the people with much slower reaction times?

McCree: Aimbot Ult
    Soldier 76: Aimbot Ult
    Hanzo: Enormous arrows that hit when he misses
    Torbjorn: Aimbot turret
    Winston: Aimbot gun
    Symmetra: Aimbot turret & Aimbot gun
    Lucio: Aimbot-esque healing
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-23 at 12:44 PM.

People are already trying to treat it as such in quick-play and it's annoying as hell.

Yeah, I suck at Tracer, but that's because I don't play her. So I'm going to try playing her because it's quick play and not competitive.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

Deleted
    How cynical should we get?

Is the really low tickrate intentional to favor the people with much slower reaction times?
    Take a look at Hots. It's a gutted LoL:
    - no last hits
    - no items (no complex counter building)
    - no laning phase means no roles (no jungler etc)
    - etc
    While taking those things out the only thing they've put in are map specific mechanics which mostly boil down to "rush to objective every X mins". This is how blizz makes games, their top prio is "accessibility". It absolutely trumps any other dev directive for them. If player needs to spend more than a minute to understand some mechanic - it is getting thrown out.

OW is not much different, it main focus is also accessibility:
    - abilities(spells lol) trump aim
    - I win ults
    - only few weapons that require aiming
    - maps designed around congesting players at all cost
    - VERY hard counters
    etc..
    So yeah...

bear in mind, i only dabble casually in OW, but it strikes me, your complaining about ultimates, and counters.

In my thoroughly average experience, reading the fight is part of the game, knowing that your opposition have not yet used their ultimates, so maybe holding off, in order to blow their load in one go, could/should be part of your planning process.

I cant even count how many times i have saved my team as Zenyatta with a well timed ultimate in response to say a hanzo's ult to clear a point, or used a Macree ult to keep people off a point as my defence timer ticks down. in WoW arena, people try and loosley track their popponents use of stuns, silences, interrupts etc, in Leage, players track who has used what Ult, and have made themselves weak for x amount of time. OW seems to be more about consistantly switching your "character" in order to counter the opposition, so long as both teams are doing that, it will make for dynamic matches, when multiplied by having the "top players" in the world playing against each other, i see no reason that this would not become even more dynamic.

Not entirely sure how this thread went from ultimates ruining the game to 3 pages about scatter arrow either, its a handy tool, but not that crazy.
    Last edited by darkphiba; 2016-06-23 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nofunallowed View Post
    Why does it matter if the enemy is moving? It's mathematically predictable how they will move after all so that shouldn't stop you.
    What...

/10char

Deleted
    1. random ‎(comparative more random, superlative most random)

- Having unpredictable outcomes
    Can't find a single dictionary with that definition.

- only few weapons that require aiming

So yeah...
    Really? Which class can you play effectively with no aim? Even Thorbjörn needs you to shoot with your gun if you want to play well.
    Mother pus bucket!

Take a look at Hots. It's a gutted LoL:
    - no last hits
    As someone who used to champion how much better DOTA 2 was over LoL, because of the added mechanic of denying, do you then realise how actually unfun that entire mechanic is when you don't have to do it anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Really? Which class can you play effectively with no aim? Even Thorbjörn needs you to shoot with your gun if you want to play well.
    Let me rephrase myself: only few weapons require more precise aim than aiming in general direction of an enemy. When you have projectiles the size of watermelons it's.. kinda easier to "aim".

As for last hit, I don't like that mechanic - still, it has it's added benefit.

Let me rephrase myself: only few weapons require more precise aim than aiming in general direction of an enemy. When you have projectiles the size of watermelons it's.. kinda easier to "aim".
    True, you don't have to headshot everything to win, however, this game has weapons that launch projectiles that have travel time and a curved trajectory. It takes anticipation of movement and current range estimation as well as just quickly and precisely placing your crosshair over the face of your opponent, so it takes "Quake"-skills as well as just pure Duck Hunt skills.
    Mother pus bucket!

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    League doesn't have that problem since if a team is winning the whole game they'll 9 times out of 10 survive a team wipe due to their gold and objective lead. No such thing in overwatch.
    i dont really understand this line of thinking though. You say you want a game where the team that starts out with the lead almost never loses the game? I think that makes for a worse spectator sport literally 100% of the time. High variance, upsets, comebacks, etc are the reasons sports are entertaining in the first place basically. Would the NBA finals this year have been better/more entertaining if GS has just won game 5? I mean they were the presumptive better team and had a huge series lead... By your logic it should be over right there and that would be better for the sport, but instead we got one of the best finals series maybe ever. Unpredictability (note, not randomness, those are two very different things) makes watching more exciting, not less (might make it more frustrating to play sometimes, but not to watch).

Im not necessarily saying that itll succeed as an esport, need way more time to tell that, and im sure itll never get to the level of cs:go, but saying that because you can mount a comeback makes it less watchable is downright ridiculous. I think perhaps the biggest problem the current competitive scene has is a lack of parity. There are a few teams that basically never lose (ironically, its too predictable). Things like this: http://www.gosugamers.net/overwatch/...ud9-gg/matches shouldnt happen, because it makes the game less entertaining. Also that kinda hurts the argument that skill doesnt matter and anyone can beat anyone just by pressing Q...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Only one I can think of is Reinhardt's hammer. You just have to be facing within the 180 degree cone of your target.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dralleballe View Post
    Heartstone took off, a game which is based luck when it gets down to macros.
    Never played that game, but isn't it basically an e-Magic the Gathering type game? Those are always popular with the e-sport crowd.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Nevene View Post
    Where's the depth in being able to shoot faster and aim better than your opponent ? It might require skill, but FPS is basically one of the video games genre that has the less depth, having nothing to learn and relying on reflexes is the opposite of depth
    depends on the Game... Quake UT CS have a lot of depth

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by classic username View Post
    depends on the Game... Quake UT CS have a lot of depth
    Ignore those people (like Nevene), it's just not worth it, because fuck movement (I bet he doesn't even know what strafe jumping is), timing, pattern prediction, power-up mind games and pushing human's perception is fucking garbage apparently. Pushing one button and killing everything in your sight has much more depth it seems.. . . ....... .. . I hope his throat has enough depth.. .... .. .. . to swallow.. ... .. all that shame of his of course :P.

Plebs gonna pleb.

Ignore those people (like Nevene), it's just not worth it, because fuck movement (I bet he doesn't even know what strafe jumping is), timing, pattern prediction, power-up mind games and pushing human's perception is fucking garbage apparently. Pushing one button and killing everything in your sight has much more depth it seems.. . . ....... .. . I hope his throat has enough depth.. .... .. .. . to swallow.. ... .. all that shame of his of course :P.

Plebs gonna pleb.
    Plebs will never know they're plebs because they operate under the mindset that if they fail at something that it cannot be them and that the system is flawed.

Alternatively if it's imbalanced in their favor they fight tooth and nail to keep the easy.

This needs more attention:

https://gfycat.com/RawSaneDegus
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-23 at 06:42 PM.

Deleted

Shame really.

I'm extra bitter at blizz because I feel cheated for a second time - of course this is just my pathetic self entitlement speaking but I had such high hopes for Hots and OW and in both cases I got "Sunday" games. Look nothing wrong with some goofing around in OW/Hots but this is not what I was hoping for...

10+ Year Old Account

Again, what's your issue with this?

It can't be that Widowmaker thought she was "safe". She can't see her own model, and the only way for her to judge if she's "hanging out" over the edge of that wall is whether she can get hit. She has no way to tell if a pixel of her model was sticking past the ledge or not, without the kill cam footage.

And without the bigger hitboxes he gets, Hanzo would be basically unplayable. He's already not considered to be all that great, even with those hitboxes. This seems like such a niche issue, and one that ONLY exists because of the killcam that lets people see these niche cases.

Sure, it's not realistic, but it's a game where one character (Tracer) is kind of unstuck in time, and another (Winston) is a super-genius Gorilla. Realism isn't a major component. What matters isn't how accurately Overwatch represents realistic action, but how competitive and well-balanced the game framework it presents is. The hitbox "issue" with Hanzo is only a real "issue" if it causes a balance problem, and I can't see how it is. Don't want to get shot by Hanzo? Get behind cover. It isn't whether your model is peeking out that matters, but whether your hitbox is.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-06-23 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Calls people plebs and says they blame the system not themselves for anything.

Proceeds to whine about an aspect of the system and blame it for something.
    Just a very disappointed observer with a lot of experience gaming.

I'm incapable of blaming overwatch mechanics for my ineptitude, because I don't play overwatch.

You're just being defensive for whatever reason. Maybe you're bad at shooters, maybe you're overly empathetic and the struggles of mediocrity have a pronounced effect on you.
    Last edited by Speaknoevil; 2016-06-23 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But.. It already is?

Even by the part of it almost pushing away League of Legends.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..