Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    No one posted it? HOLY SHIT, NO ONE POSTED IT?! What the fuck! This is like the ULTIMATE cover > original!

Original:

Cover:

Johnny Cash's version just seems so much more authentic. Sorry, did I say seems? I meant IS. This man went through so much pain in his life, and it all comes out in this song.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You are aware that Whiskey In The Jar is an Irish folk song right? And Metallica's version is crap.
    Metallica's version is a cover of Thin Lizzy's version, and yes, I know it's originally a folk song, but the original folk song is nothing like Thin Lizzy's version. Listen to the version by the Dubliners and you'll hear the difference. And whether Metallica's version is "crap", it's still better than Thin Lizzy's.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    No one posted it? HOLY SHIT, NO ONE POSTED IT?! What the fuck! This is like the ULTIMATE cover > original!
    Hurt was mentioned like five times.

Personally, I like Reznor's version more, being a fan. I think Cash got a lot of soppy pity points because he was dying and died the next year. And because he was Johnny Cash. I didn't like his version as much because he made it too easygoing and mellow. Also, Cash changed the crown of shit into a crown of thorns. Too religious for me.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-06-23 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    Decent Original

Godly cover
    Last edited by mmoc82e782b950; 2016-06-23 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Yes, it's apparently blasphemy, but I like The Ataris' version of Boys of Summer.
    Nope, I like the cover as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted

Original:
    Last edited by mmocd25bfcd059; 2016-06-23 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatix View Post
    This cover is better than the orginal
    -
    -snip-
    If we're talking Marilyn Manson, the one that made them famous was better than the original:

Sweet Dreams:

I don't know about better but...

Amazing classic:

Worthy tribute:

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Metallica's version is a cover of Thin Lizzy's version, and yes, I know it's originally a folk song, but the original folk song is nothing like Thin Lizzy's version. Listen to the version by the Dubliners and you'll hear the difference. And whether Metallica's version is "crap", it's still better than Thin Lizzy's.

Hurt was mentioned like five times.

Personally, I like Reznor's version more, being a fan. I think Cash got a lot of soppy pity points because he was dying and died the next year. And because he was Johnny Cash. I didn't like his version as much because he made it too easygoing and mellow. Also, Cash changed the crown of shit into a crown of thorns. Too religious for me.
    Mentioned, but no one posted the video of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I normally don't really enjoy what Disturbed is laying down but they certainly did a good job with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

I don't like saying one version is better than another though since it's music and to each their own. I'd probably listen to the Disturbed version before the S&G though.
    That's indeed a great cover version. Paul Simon likes it too, as far as I know. I personally prefer the original, since it contains the Zeitgeist that needs to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdseN1Irbp8

Discuss.
    if you insist..
    1. the guy who made the video is an idiot.
    Under Pressure is a Queen song (album Hot Space) not a Bowie song. He only collaborated with Queen.
    And on that note. You must be out of your mind, to declare such a piss poor band like Smash mouth as better than two of the best vocalists in Rock history in a duet.

here's a couple other ones

Original:

Cover:

Original

Cover:
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

love this song by Judas Priest. but the updated version by Machinehead is way more badass sounding.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are very few decent covers. Johnny Cash's Hurt is one.

Heart's "Stariway to Heaven" is another decent cover. It is not the original, but their interpretation is pretty darn good. If you can make Page and Plant cry in live TV while doing a cover of their song, you did a good job IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    No, Metallica's version lost completely what made the Lizzy tune great (and a charts success). It's just a metal shredding melody, while Lizzy merged two styles.
    Irish Folk and Rock.
    Much like White people can't really rap, American metal dudes can't play European folk rock.

Hootie's Hey Hey What Can I Do > Zeppelins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So listening to radioactive I've decided that the cover that lindsey stirling did with pantatonix is way better than the original by imagine dragons. I always love it when a cover sounds better than the original. I also love when Weird Al's music is better than the original songs he's doing parodies of.
    Covers are done by lazy and/or uncreative artists and shouldnt even be taken seriously. If you are a professional musician who makes money from your work, you should be performing original material instead of piggybacking off someone else's blood, sweat, and tears. That said, if youre going to listen to a cover of this song, you should at least listen to a parody and not a note for note, word for word copy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post

Heart's "Stariway to Heaven" is another decent cover. It is not the original, but their interpretation is pretty darn good. If you can make Page and Plant cry in live TV while doing a cover of their song, you did a good job IMHO.
    Little known fact.
    Heart started out as a LZ cover band.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Covers are done by lazy and/or uncreative artists and shouldnt even be taken seriously.
    LOL.
    once again a topic where you've no clue about but have to throw your hat in the ring.
    Why are you always making a fool out of yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Covers are done by lazy and/or uncreative artists and shouldnt even be taken seriously. If you are a professional musician who makes money from your work, you should be performing original material instead of piggybacking off someone else's blood, sweat, and tears.
    Many modern artists do not write their own songs and have dedicated song writers. The music is often developed by a creative team behind the scenes (part of the audio label). The singer needs to look pretty, have a decent voice and deliver. That's modern music.

Days of originality and creative genius in music is long dead.

While a lot of artists do sing covers to cover their lack of originality, many more sing covers as a tribute to the original artist. And sometimes you want to interpret a song in a different way and add your spin to it. Case in point -- "Yesterday" by Beatles has been covered by more than 3000 artists including Elvis and Sinatra (both older and senior to the Beatles).

And for some songs, you really sometimes wish -- "Hey, how will this song sound in this dude's voice?"

E.g. Ray Charles cover of Lennon's Imagine.

Last edited by Fayenoor; 2016-06-23 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added Video
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    if you insist..
    1. the guy who made the video is an idiot.
    Under Pressure is a Queen song (album Hot Space) not a Bowie song. He only collaborated with Queen.
    And on that note. You must be out of your mind, to declare such a piss poor band like Smash mouth as better than two of the best vocalists in Rock history in a duet.
    I knew someone would take it seriously. Thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    I'll just leave this here
    [a very BAD under the bridge cover]
    no...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    [bad under pressure cover]Discuss.
    no....
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    [WORST "the sound of silence" cover man ever thought possible]I don't like saying one version is better than another though since it's music and to each their own. I'd probably listen to the Disturbed version before the S&G though.
    hell no...nothing beats that original....
    its sad if people are so desperate to stay on the horizon that they have to cover songs instead of comin up with new ones and ruin them like this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Areosmith - Dream On[bad dream on cover]
    no...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    [bad Metallica covers]
    no, just no. Kill'em all and Master of the Puppets are songs you should not cover...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Boyz in the Hood:
    No....

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post

Johnny Cash's version just seems so much more authentic. Sorry, did I say seems? I meant IS. This man went through so much pain in his life, and it all comes out in this song.
    Was thinking the same thing until I found your post. Agreed, Cash really took Hurt to a whole new level.

Here is another cover that I like better than the original.

Cover:

Original:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Many modern artists do not write their own songs and have dedicated song writers. The music is often developed by a creative team behind the scenes (part of the audio label). The singer needs to look pretty, have a decent voice and deliver. That's modern music.

Days of originality and creative genius in music is long dead.

While a lot of artists do sing covers to cover their lack of originality, many more sing covers as a tribute to the original artist. And sometimes you want to interpret a song in a different way and add your spin to it. Case in point -- "Yesterday" by Beatles has been covered by more than 3000 artists including Elvis and Sinatra (both older and senior to the Beatles).

And for some songs, you really sometimes wish -- "Hey, how will this song sound in this dude's voice?"

E.g. Ray Charles cover of Lennon's Imagine.
    or Roxy Music

On that note...

David Bowie has a whole album of cover versions - Pin Ups

Since we talking about better covers...
    Deep Purple put themselves on the map with those two covers

And Hendrix' too got famous with a cover: Hey Joe.

Great artists can take a song and make it their own. Bad artists just play it.