Political donations. How much do Democrats Vs Republicans get?

I always here big money goes to republicans. So we have a chart here that shows donations. How much given to both parties.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Crazy how the Koch brothers who I hear progressives bitch about are way down on the list. Also L. O. L at Goldman Sachs giving more to Democrats then the Republicans.

Also I'm curious as to I hear all the time that the NRA owns congress. How's that possible when they're in 75th place?

In the end we can see big business likes Democrats overwhelmingly. Wonder why that is?

On the surface, I think the democrats look to have a good, maybe even great message. Legalize all drugs, free money to the poor, Free college for all, Free healthcare for all. Tax those rich jerks and make them pay for everything.

In the meantime, the democrats can be bought and dealt with like everyone else. So why not give to the party you think has the best chance of winning and earning some favor.

Sometimes rules have to change because the people demand it. So why not try to buy influence so the rules doesn't have to change as fast and\or as much.

There are a lot of unions on th list which overwhelmingly support the Democrats. Twelve in the top 20. If you take out all the unions, the numbers skewed more toward the Republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to keep in mind that people often go through great lengths to hide their donations, whether they form shell organizations to do the donating or they go through PACs. That's where a lot of the "big money" is coming from. It can be difficult to impossible to trace back to the original donor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You have to keep in mind that people often go through great lengths to hide their donations, whether they form shell organizations to do the donating or they go through PACs. That's where a lot of the "big money" is coming from. It can be difficult to impossible to trace back to the original donor.
    Yup. Look at how much foreign donors Hillery is getting. Especially those who wish to kill gays and restrict women's rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    I always here big money goes to republicans. So we have a chart here that shows donations. How much given to both parties.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Crazy how the Koch brothers who I hear progressives bitch about are way down on the list. Also L. O. L at Goldman Sachs giving more to Democrats then the Republicans.

Also I'm curious as to I hear all the time that the NRA owns congress. How's that possible when they're in 75th place?

In the end we can see big business likes Democrats overwhelmingly. Wonder why that is?
    Link only shows federal contributions. State and local elections matter. The Kochs for example spend a lot on those elections. Also sometimes its not what you spend but where you spend it.

The NRA is actually pretty cowardly despite their bluster and typically only gives to incumbents. However, they're willing to spend big on a couple local races that might be hotly contested.

Total money spent on a presidential race is nothing. Sure having another Dem as president is desirable but probably less effective than having a majority of states who have Republican Governors and Reps.

Finally, money spent after the election is also important:
    https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s

Deleted
    You mustnt forget that companies and cooperations rather invest in Democrats nowadays.

Someone like Hillary Clinton would be one of the best presidents for the corporate world. She's basically the best "Republican" candidate right now, even though runnig for the other party.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    On the surface, I think the democrats look to have a good, maybe even great message. Legalize all drugs, free money to the poor, Free college for all, Free healthcare for all. Tax those rich jerks and make them pay for everything.

In the meantime, the democrats can be bought and dealt with like everyone else. So why not give to the party you think has the best chance of winning and earning some favor.

Sometimes rules have to change because the people demand it. So why not try to buy influence so the rules doesn't have to change as fast and\or as much.
    That's just the stuff they say to dumb people to get votes.

There's a lot of information missing from that data.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

because they're better at keeping their mouths shut?

15+ Year Old Account
    You're just tracking direct donations here. In reality, it's all dark money now (untraceable) - I'm not even sure why some of these people/companies would include direct donations at all.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Donations are not the only way groups influence politicians. The threat of bankrolling a primary challenger, even if it never materializes, is plenty of reason to toe the line. So is mobilizing opposition to a bill and making the calls to a Congressman's office 100-to-1 against--even if that doesn't come close to reflecting the opinions of his constituents as a whole.

Or put another way, you tell me: How is it that gun control legislation supported by 85% of the public can't get through Congress?

Actually it's easy to explain. Given most of the democrats' donors are unions, they donate because the opposition wants them to no longer exist. That's pretty existential, and it's a damn good reason to support a given political party. It's way more compelling than "their tax plan makes me pay extra."

That said, I want all private money out of politics so the whole issue is moot for me.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2016-06-23 at 06:52 PM.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. Look at how much foreign donors Hillery is getting. Especially those who wish to kill gays and restrict women's rights.
    I didn't know that foreign members of the GOP donate to Hillary. Kind of strange!

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You're just tracking direct donations here. In reality, it's all dark money now (untraceable) - I'm not even sure why some of these people/companies would include direct donations at all.
    Because it keeps the eyes fixated on the amount of publicly seen money instead of people rooting around and searching for all the dark money. If publicly visible campaign contributions dropped to 0 everyone and their brother would know there's such a thing as dark money, instead of it being a niche subject only political nerds know about. The populace knows they're all corrupt, but they really don't know how corrupt or most of how things are done. Best to give them a safe, reliable boogeyman than to pull a disappearing act and take the chance of people actually investigating this to the utmost.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post

That's only Bernie bro, he has lost it long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    Donations are not the only way groups influence politicians. The threat of bankrolling a primary challenger, even if it never materializes, is plenty of reason to toe the line. So is mobilizing opposition to a bill and making the calls to a Congressman's office 100-to-1 against--even if that doesn't come close to reflecting the opinions of his constituents as a whole.

Or put another way, you tell me: How is it that gun control legislation supported by 85% of the public can't get through Congress?

Actually it's easy to explain. Given most of the democrats' donors are unions, they donate because the opposition wants them to no longer exist. That's pretty existential, and it's a damn good reason to support a given political party. It's way more compelling than "their tax plan makes me pay extra."

That said, I want all private money out of politics so the whole issue is moot for me.
    I'm union. IBEW. I'm kind of mad they use my dues to prop up a party I'm highly against and despise.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm union. IBEW. I'm kind of mad they use my dues to prop up a party I'm highly against and despise.
    Well, why would a union want to prop up a party that wants to destroy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Maybe he prefer his dues focus on more local things. I really don't like when Police, Fire and other services get involved with Politics. Public servants should remain publicly neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Cause, fuck progressives.

Isn't it obvious. While I do dislike republicans, Democrats just tell a good lie. That's the only real difference. They are better performers to the public.

They will say they will tax the rich all day,but they won't touch corporate loopholes or change anything substantial. Sure; socially they are clearly liberal. I give them that. However, that's it. Especially the clintons. They are all about big business