Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Again, how are you going to classify all these foods, and classify the countless new ones that enter the market place every year?

It's not as simple as you're making it out to be, and could actually wind up costing more money to implement than the government "loses" when a person uses SNAP to buy soda.
    Have it fall in line with Taxable Food. Taxable foods are deemed as non-essential.

These foods and beverages, however, are not exempt from tax:
    candy and confectionary;
    alcoholic beverages;
    soft drinks, fruit drinks, sodas, or similar beverages;
    heated or prepared meals (sandwiches, salad bars, etc.); and.
    food or beverage sold for on-premises consumption.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20food%20items

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    You would hate living in Canada then, anywhere from 20%-40% of our income is taken from each pay if you make over 20k ish a year.
    I live in NJ, it's pretty much the same here, lol. I lose about 30% of my pay each week.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    For me, it is about setting rules to ensure the money is used wisely. If you are so broke that every penny counts, there is no reason to waste on things which are crap.
    Not your business what other people spend those stamps on. It's their responsibility to use the food stamps effectively...not the governments

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Do you think supporting us is refuting? Also, you keep ignoring

"Please answer the question. Do food stamps not operate how they are suppose to restricting excessive sugary purchases?"
    The statistics directly refute your position.

Can you rephrase that into a post that actually makes sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Have it fall in line with Taxable Food. Taxable foods are deemed as non-essential.

These foods and beverages, however, are not exempt from tax:
    candy and confectionary;
    alcoholic beverages;
    soft drinks, fruit drinks, sodas, or similar beverages;
    heated or prepared meals (sandwiches, salad bars, etc.); and.
    food or beverage sold for on-premises consumption.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20food%20items

- - - Updated - - -

I live in NJ, it's pretty much the same here, lol. I lose about 30% of my pay each week.
    Well I am glad someone feels my pain! lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Not your business what other people spend those stamps on. It's their responsibility to use the food stamps effectively...not the governments
    I actually said that on like page 1 or 2. I have no say in how things are done, so it is what it is. But it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

SNAP offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families and provides economic benefits to communities. SNAP is the largest program in the domestic hunger safety net. The Food and Nutrition Service works with State agencies, nutrition educators, and neighborhood and faith-based organizations to ensure that those eligible for nutrition assistance can make informed decisions about applying for the program and can access benefits. FNS also works with State partners and the retail community to improve program administration and ensure program integrity.
    he SNAP/Food Stamp Program is the largest nutrition assistance program administered by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The goal of the program is “to alleviate hunger and malnutrition … by increasing food purchasing power for all eligible households who apply for participation” as stated in the Food Stamp Act of 1977, as amended (P.L. 108-269). The program provides monthly benefits to eligible low-income families which can be used to purchase food. Through the electronic benefit transfer systems (EBT) the use of food stamp “coupons” is no longer the means in which a client receives their benefits. EBT replaces paper coupons through use of a benefits card, similar to a bank card. USDA reports that all 50 states, DC, and Puerto Rico are now using EBT systems.

The federal government pays 100 percent of SNAP/Food Stamp program benefits. Federal and State governments share administrative costs (with the federal government contributing nearly 50 percent).

Every 5 years, the SNAP/Food Stamp program is reauthorized by Congress as part of the Farm Bill. The reauthorization establishes who is eligible for SNAP/food Stamps and addresses program access, benefit levels, and other matters.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture through the Food and Nutrition Service continues to conduct research and studies aimed at improving the program. By improving access to the program in addition to on-going outreach and education, the USDA hopes to increase participation rates for those who are eligible for the SNAP/Food Stamps, but are not receiving benefits.

As of Oct. 1, 2008, SNAP is the new name for the federal Food Stamp Program. It stands for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. USDA has more information on the name change, as well as a chart of state names (pdf) for the SNAP program.
    Interesting so many different things get ignored on the purpose of the snap program. Please do tell more how restricting sugary purchases is disdain for the poor.

Taxable food varies by state.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

The statistics directly refute your position.

Can you rephrase that into a post that actually makes sense?
    So no, you won't answer the question. Hopefully I can educate a bit with the above quotes. Probably won't.

Interesting so many different things get ignored on the purpose of the snap program. Please do tell more how restricting sugary purchases is disdain for the poor.
    So, now it's all sugary purchases?

Keep moving those goal posts, you might find a coherent argument somewhere along the way.

I actually said that on like page 1 or 2. I have no say in how things are done, so it is what it is. But it doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on it.
    I think you need to focus less on my first sentence and more on the second.

So no, you won't answer the question. Hopefully I can educate a bit with the above quotes. Probably won't.
    By quoting the mission statement of the SNAP program?

You didn't even read the link I posted from the USDA that directly relates to this thread's premise. Hurr durr.

So, now it's all sugary purchases?

Keep moving those goal posts, you might find a coherent argument somewhere along the way.
    "Malnutrition or malnourishment is a condition that results from eating a diet in which nutrients are either not enough or are too much such that the diet causes health problems.[1][2] It may involve calories, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins or minerals.[2] Not enough nutrients is called undernutrition or undernourishment while too much is called overnutrition.[3] Malnutrition is often used specifically to refer to undernutrition where there is not enough calories, protein, or micronutrients.[3][4] If undernutrition occurs during pregnancy, or before two years of age, it may result in permanent problems with physical and mental development.[2] Extreme undernourishment, known as starvation, may have symptoms that include: a short height, thin body, very poor energy levels, and swollen legs and abdomen.[2][3] People also often get infections and are frequently cold. The symptoms of micronutrient deficiencies depend on the micronutrient that is lacking.[3]"

If people want to kill themselves eating junk food, then they should be allowed. It's not my choice or anyone else's on what someone should put in their body, I don't care if the 11 cents that comes out of our taxes for welfare programs pays for it or not. What next? Telling them they can only eat vegetables if it's prepared how we say? You can kill yourself on frying up broccoli and brussel srpouts fried in butter and salt every day as well. Looking down on poor people who need help buying groceries is merely an example of "I wish I could be getting help too, but I don't want to admit I am jealous so I should be able to enforce how people I don't know live". The old snarky "must be nice"...yes, I'm sure it's super nice being poor and living a shit life.

By quoting the mission statement of the SNAP program?

You didn't even read the link I posted from the USDA that directly relates to this thread's premise. Hurr durr.
    Is it really hard to just say no you won't answer it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    If people want to kill themselves eating junk food, then they should be allowed. It's not my choice or anyone else's on what someone should put in their body, I don't care if the 11 cents that comes out of our taxes for welfare programs pays for it or not. What next? Telling them they can only eat vegetables if it's prepared how we say? You can kill yourself on frying up broccoli and brussel srpouts fried in butter and salt every day as well. Looking down on poor people who need help buying groceries is merely an example of "I wish I could be getting help too, but I don't want to admit I am jealous so I should be able to enforce how people I don't know live". The old snarky "must be nice"...yes, I'm sure it's super nice being poor and living a shit life.
    You are right. It is there choice. However the government should not be involved at all in it. They can spend their own money. I don't know how I can be jealous of people on a program I am on.

"Malnutrition or malnourishment is a condition that results from eating a diet in which nutrients are either not enough or are too much such that the diet causes health problems.[1][2] It may involve calories, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins or minerals.[2] Not enough nutrients is called undernutrition or undernourishment while too much is called overnutrition.[3] Malnutrition is often used specifically to refer to undernutrition where there is not enough calories, protein, or micronutrients.[3][4] If undernutrition occurs during pregnancy, or before two years of age, it may result in permanent problems with physical and mental development.[2] Extreme undernourishment, known as starvation, may have symptoms that include: a short height, thin body, very poor energy levels, and swollen legs and abdomen.[2][3] People also often get infections and are frequently cold. The symptoms of micronutrient deficiencies depend on the micronutrient that is lacking.[3]"
    Why are you quoting this? Are you claiming that people who are on SNAP are dying of malnutrition because they eat too much sugar?

Is it really hard to just say now you won't answer it?
    You haven't asked a question that I can make sense of. Are you asking me if it's within the SNAP's mandate to control what it's participants eat?

You are right. It is there choice. However the government should not be involved at all in it. They can spend their own money. I don't know how I can be jealous of people on a program I am on.
    Why does it matter to you though? Do you think you'd be paying less taxes if candy bars aren't allowed to be bought? if the government bans everything besides carrots and rice to be bought with food stamps, these people would still be getting the same amount of food stamps.

Is it really hard to just say now you won't answer it?

- - - Updated - - -

You are right. It is there choice. However the government should not be involved at all in it. They can spend their own money.
    The government isn't involved in it. All they do is provide the food stamps. What the recipients use those stamps on has nothing to do with the government.
    What this law would do is add government involvement...not remove it.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Taxable food varies by state.
    Yeah, all food that isn't pre-prepared here is tax-free. Like, a package of doughnuts at wal-mart is tax-free, and those certainly are non-essential.

Why are you quoting this? Are you claiming that people who are on SNAP are dying of malnutrition because they eat too much sugar?

You haven't asked a question that I can make sense of. Are you asking me if it's within the SNAP's mandate to control what it's participants eat?
    No the point I'm getting at is the design of the program isn't to feed people excess sugar, and the government should not have any part in it, even if it is only 1 person (highly unlikely). Does restricting purchasing sugary products go against SNAPs design?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    Why does it matter to you though? Do you think you'd be paying less taxes if candy bars aren't allowed to be bought? if the government bans everything besides carrots and rice to be bought with food stamps, these people would still be getting the same amount of food stamps.
    It doesn't matter to me. If you read the thread earlier, I actually don't care. I just don't like illogical reasoning that liberals try to use to validate any fucking thing they choose to do in this country while trying to convince the world that republicans are destroying the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    The government isn't involved in it. All they do is provide the food stamps. What the recipients use those stamps on has nothing to do with the government.
    What this law would do is add government involvement...not remove it.
    You realize you just said "the government isn't involved while the government is involved"?

No the point I'm getting at is the design of the program isn't to feed people excess sugar, and the government should not have any part in it, even if it is only 1 person (highly unlikely). Does restricting purchasing sugary products go against SNAPs design?
    Are you some sort of sugar crusader? You seem oddly determined to prevent people from eating any sugar with SNAP benefits.

SNAP is a supplemental program, designed to act as a safety net to ensure needy people and families have adequate resources to purchase food. SNAP already provides education about healthy eating and lifestyle habits.

What exactly are you so pissed off about? That people are using SNAP benefits to buy food you think they shouldn't be, or that people in general are making unhealthy choices?

You've dodged a lot of really valid criticisms and challenges to your position. That's usually a sign you're wrong.