Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I despretaley need the help of a electrician/genius.

My pc case is shocking me, wether its on or off, the PSU switch is on or off, aslong as its plugged in the wall.

This does not happen if I hook it up in the hallway, the bedroom, the livingroom, only in the room I have my PC in.

Ok the answer is obvious right? Its the socket in the wall of the room, no biggy as a temp solution il get a socket box from the hallway to my room, but surprise surprise it still shocks me if it is in my room. I have had this pc for 3years, no issues and now this. I cleaned a few days ago but honestly i've cleaned over a 100 pc's. I took it apart again today and put it back together to see if it would solve the issue, alas no cigar.

The case does not shock me if I am wearing shoe's or slippers or whatever in the PC room. It does not shock me regardless of what I have on my feet (or if I have nothing on my feet) in the bedroom which has identical carpet, and it does not shock me in the hallway which has a wooden floor. I tried getting a friend to touch it and he only felt a discharge when he touched the case but after that nothing. I let him touch my fingerprint scanner (yes I have one of those on my keyboard, don't ask why I don't know its a old keyboard) which didn't shock him. It does shock the hell out of me, i've even tried changing clothes and sitting here naked. I am honestly at a loss. PC works fine tho.

What the fuck is going on?

I am from the netherlands and its moist as HELL here right now and the occasional thunder in the distance if that is relevant, I don't know anymore. Help please.

Edit: also the case does not shock me if im standing on something or have my feet off the floor.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-23 at 08:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your power socket isn't properly grounded, that's what's causing you to get shocked.

First turn off the power to your room in your fuse box, following that go to Hornbach/Gamma/Karwei/Praxis and buy a new wall socket and replace the old one.
    Do verify that you've turned off the power in your room entirely from the fuse box BEFORE you do something like this so you don't electrocute yourself.

This is something you should be doing rather rapidly and you can do it in about 15 minutes so do it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Your power socket isn't properly grounded, that's what's causing you to get shocked.

First turn off the power to your room in your fuse box, following that go to Hornbach/Gamma/Karwei/Praxis and buy a new wall socket and replace the old one.
    Do verify that you've turned off the power in your room entirely from the fuse box BEFORE you do something like this so you don't electrocute yourself.

This is something you should be doing rather rapidly and you can do it in about 15 minutes so do it tomorrow.

But it also does it if I hook up the PC to another power socket and put the PC in my room through a (stekkerdoos) socketbox, yet if I use that same wallmount and put the PC it in the hallway it does not (also while using a socketbox), are you sure it is the socket with this in mind? Thats why its mindblowing the hell out of me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    But it also does it if I hook up the PC to another power socket and put the PC in my room through a (stekkerdoos) socketbox, yet if I use that same wallmount and put the PC it in the hallway it does not (also while using a socketbox), are you sure it is the socket with this in mind? Thats why its mindblowing the hell out of me.
    That's the only thing I can think of as there's no other explainable reason.
    Unless your room is somehow a giant electromagnetic box/Faraday cage (twisted variant that I cannot explain), which I doubt.

Anyway replacing the socket costs you maybe € 10,- ... I'd say that's worth testing it out for.

7+ Year Old Account
    EDIT:

Never mind, already suggested by someone else.

That's the only thing I can think of as there's no other explainable reason.
    Unless your room is somehow a giant electromagnetic box/Faraday cage (twisted variant that I cannot explain), which I doubt.

Anyway replacing the socket costs you maybe € 10,- ... I'd say that's worth testing it out for.
    I guess you are right about that, never done it before but how hard can it be? Right..? That being said I still don't get why if I use a different socketbox (or the same one) on a different socket in the house it still happens, but only in my room, wether the pc is on the floor or not. The moment I lift the pc up and put it in the hallway and put the plug back in the PSU I get no shocks at all. 10/10 house is haunted for sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Does your powerboard have a ground? If your power socket is grounded in the hallway but your powerboard isn't then it's of no use.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess you are right about that, never done it before but how hard can it be? Right..? That being said I still don't get why if I use a different socketbox (or the same one) on a different socket in the house it still happens, but only in my room, wether the pc is on the floor or not. The moment I lift the pc up and put it in the hallway and put the plug back in the PSU I get no shocks at all. 10/10 house is haunted for sure.
    Just pay attention to wiring colours and connections.
    It's not that difficult but as I said make sure the power is off before doing ANYTHING.

Also post back if it succeeded or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    Does your powerboard have a ground? If your power socket is grounded in the hallway but your powerboard isn't then it's of no use.
    Hm im not sure if my powerboard/socketbox w/e it is aclled is grounded, I get no shocks if I use it in a different room tho just to clarify.

Just pay attention to wiring colours and connections.
    It's not that difficult but as I said make sure the power is off before doing ANYTHING.

Also post back if it succeeded or not.

Will do, what else could it be if not that? Could it be something related to the PC if it a 100% doesn't do it in a different room?

7+ Year Old Account
    Hm im not sure if my powerboard/socketbox w/e it is aclled is grounded, I get no shocks if I use it in a different room tho just to clarify.
    Oh you always use the same powerboard? I thought you only used that powerboard when you switched to a power socket in the hallway.
    Last edited by Rascal Bob; 2016-06-23 at 09:20 PM.

Ugh.. I can think of several things causing it, but each one doesn't make sense because of how you portray it, so not gonna bother.. Earthing is such a god damn hassle, causes so many weird things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    Oh you always use the same powerboard? I thought you only used that powerboard when you switched to a power socket in the hallway.
    Yes I tested it with the same powerboard in multiple sockets around the house, I had no issues, the moment I drag that powerboard from the same socket in to my room, and then plug it in to my pc that is also now in my room, it shocks me, I unplug the cable, lift the pc back in to the hallway, plug it back in, it doess not shock me. All while using the same wallsocket and the same powerboard. I have tried three different powerboards tho but no change there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not sure what that would be. Location that you're operating the thing shouldn't matter. It is possible you have a loose cable from the PSU that's touching the case. When you moved it out into the hallway it happened to movie it enough so it was no longer touching. Then when you moved it back it randomly started touching the case again. Other than that, it's not like it's some magic box that does random shit based on location. And even then the cable that's touching the case would have to be a frayed wire in some way thus energizing the case.
    No frayed cable, from what I can tell unless the case itself has one (like for the power reset button or w/e) but all the PSU cables are perfect, I tried two different PSU to wallsocket cables, I moved the pc back and forth a good 10times (I have been fucking with this for 5hours now) and it only happens in my room. It got to the point I am now considering I am going insane, but on a serious note it is shocking me if I touch it with my feet on the ground if its in my room.

Edit: one other odd thing, I can stop the case from shocking me while the PSU switch is off by flipping the cable that goes in to the wall, just 180 degrees, I tested this maybe 12x, if I put it in one way it shocks me even while the PSU switch is off, I flip it 180 degrees and I put it in, it does not shock my while the PSU switch is off. Again this only happens while the PC is in my room. 5days ago I had no problems at all. This occurs regardless of what PSU cable I use.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-23 at 09:35 PM.

Do you have a cheapo powersupply?

7+ Year Old Account
    It must be some sort of bad grounding or shitty wiring.

Have you ever felt the shock from a 230v/16A power socket? Is it comparable to what you're feeling when you touch your case?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Do you have a cheapo powersupply?
    RM 750 from corsair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Do you have different types of flooring in the different rooms?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, it's only shocking you when you touch it with your feet? Are you by chance dragging socked feet across carpet to do so versus hardwood floors in the hall?
    If I have my naked feet on the ground, and I touch my PC, I get shocked. This only happens in my room, other rooms with IDENTICAL carpet do not cause this, my hallway which is covered with wood, also no problems there.

If im sitting in my chair and put my feet on the radiator and then touch my case, it also shocks me. If I hold my pc case and remove my feet of floor or radiator the entire feeling is gone.

I'm just throwing at you guys what I can as I honestly have no clue at this stage.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-23 at 09:38 PM.

RM 750 from corsair.

If I have my naked feet on the ground, and I touch my PC, I get shocked. This only happens in my room, other rooms with IDENTICAL carpet do not cause this, my hallway which is covered with wood, also no problems there.
    Do you have a tesla coil in your room? That would be relevant. Uhh... I'm at a loss.

7+ Year Old Account
    If the case shocks you when you touch, but only if your feet are on the floor, you are essentially acting as a ground for whatever voltage is going through your computer. I did some minor research into sockets used worldwide, and it appears that the European standards of sockets are types E, F, J, and K. These are all grounded sockets, BUT the older version of these sockets are the type C socket, and these are not grounded. Is it possible that the socket in that room is a type C? If so, the socket type is actually illegal, and you should get it changed immediately by a certified electrician.

Additionally, it is possible that your room specifically has properties that generate ESD and that is why you are receiving a shock. I work in a circuit board production facility, and there are systems in place to reduce moisture in the air as that may contribute to ESD issues. Besides verifying the outlet type, a dehumidifier might assist in lowering the humidity of that room. Between humidity in that room and a carpeted floor, you could find yourself with quite a nifty shock.

As for why it is only in that room and nowhere else, do a test on something. Plug the computer into an outlet in the hallway right next to the door of the room you are having the issue in. Leave it on and running for several hours without touching it**, then when several hours have passed, go into the room you get shocked in, reach out into the hallway and touch the case of the computer. If you get shocked, it is the humidity/carpet. If you don't it is almost guaranteed the outlet you are plugged into.

**I say not to touch it, because most likely the reason you are not getting shocked in the other carpeted locations is because it doesn't have enough time to generate the charge you've been feeling if you just go from one room into the next, plug it in, check and bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Do you have a tesla coil in your room? That would be relevant. Uhh... I'm at a loss.
    I do not , I appreciate the help, threw some edits in the above two posts, trying to be as detailed as possible but im exhausted at this stage.

uh that is really weird.. maybe somehow your pc case is becoming electrified and whatever flooring in your room is... uh i don't even know, i am not good at electrics.

but that sounds potentially very dangerous and uh.. yeah what power supply do you have? none of your extra power cables are being impaled on any metal part of your case right???

edit: okay yeah reading the edits.. your case is definitely becoming electrified somehow.. let us know what power supply you have and ensure no unused cable from it is making contact with anything, no exposed wires touching the case or anything silly

grounding problems