Micheal Pachter: Zelda looks awesome; will sell 10 million NXs quickly.
    Um unless they NX is going to be sold cheap like $250, people who want zelda will be buying a WiiU cause it's cheaper and "not suppose to be replaced by the NX"

So um horse shit.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Oh God, you have reached a new low when you're linking Pachter on here.

The guy is a joke, never forget that last holiday was going to be the turning point where Xbox One started to out sell the PS4. Never forget Mario Kart 8 won't sell well because not many Wii Us sold(meanwhile millions of MK8s sold later...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Um unless they NX is going to be sold cheap like $250, people who want zelda will be buying a WiiU cause it's cheaper and "not suppose to be replaced by the NX"

So um horse shit.
    Not to mention Zelda games in generally rarely reach anywhere near 10 million(in fact no Zelda game has ever even sold over 9 mil let alone 10). Who is to say that a significant portion of the 5-10 million people interested in Zelda don't already own a Wii U? I would wager the majority of them do. Said this before and saying it again, people like John who think Zelda is a "system seller" for the NX are living in fantasy world as is Nintendo if they believe that. Like I said before, Twilight Princess didn't push Wiis, Wii Sports did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Hey, he throws some good parties, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not to mention he also believes Zelda is launching alongside the NX: "Something I missed… I actually did not realize that Zelda was launching on NX when NX launches. That makes me think NX is much more higher powered than I expected, that NX is an iteration probably closer to PS4 than I thought it would be, and it’s going to have a big title to support it."
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

i dont know why you wouldnt consider zelda a system seller.

pretty much ANY high quality wiiu game they port to nx is a system seller because of how many people have never played them.

its obviously not going to make the nx a success just because zelda like pachter is saying but its not like putting zelda on nx isnt an incentive for alot of people.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont know why you wouldnt consider zelda a system seller.
    Probably because it's not in the grand scheme of things for Nintendo? The highest selling Zelda game is OoT at 7.2 mil, a great number and also an absolute joke and dwarfed by numbers of their other franchises.

In the world of Smash, Mario Kart, Mario and Pokemon Zelda is pretty damn low down on the totem poll for Nintendo system sellers. It's like claiming Bloodborne is a system seller for Sony, when it's not. Being a good game does not mean you're game that's going to push millions of systems out of retailers.

pretty much ANY high quality wiiu game they port to nx is a system seller because of how many people have never played them.
    Except that they're already out on the Wii U, which people will already own. Ports are good filler content, not system sellers. Why buy a new console to play games that we can already play and have been out for a while?

The major flaw in the argument is people assuming hardcore Nintendo fans don't own Wii Us. I'm pretty sure in reality that's probably ALL that own Wii Us.

Nintendo needs to give both their hardcore fans and casuals alike to buy the NX. Wii U ports won't do it because 1) Hardcore Nintendo fan already owns them and 2) They weren't enough to get a casual to buy the Wii U so why will it work with NX?

If Nintendo thinks a damn Wii U port is going to be a system seller for NX they lost their damn minds, and the system is going to bomb harder then the Wii U.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except that they're already out on the Wii U, which people will already own. Ports are good filler content, not system sellers. Why buy a new console to play games that we can already play and have been out for a while?
    because most people dont have a wiiu and view it as a console that is going nowhere.

the last of us was a system seller for the ps4 for alot of people who had chosen xbox last gen. the same is true for nx.

of course, making the nx backwards compatible would do the same thing but i have a feeling its not going to be this time
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

because most people dont have a wiiu and view it as a console that is going nowhere.
    So if the games weren't compelling enough on the Wii U, what about the NX will make them more compelling? NX needs exclusives alongside these ports to be compelling.

the last of us was a system seller for the ps4 for alot of people who had chosen xbox last gen. the same is true for nx.
    Sauce? I remember a few editorials, but I don't recall any hard data for this. IIRC the Last of Us PS4 bundle sold well, but I don't recall any indicators that Last of Us remaster was a proper system seller in the way we're discussing.

The Last of Us Remastered is such a system seller on PS4 that every FIFA game ever released on PS4 dwarfs its sales numbers. Every CoD, most of the DICE shooters, GTA5 and Fallout 4 also dwarf it. Uncharted 4 is on pace to out sell it by the end of this month likely in just 2 months of sales.

If we just throw around the "system seller" term for any game that is 1) Good and 2) Successful that's not using it properly IMO.

for me a system seller is any game that makes a console worth owning

for me a system seller is any game that makes a console worth owning
    Then "system seller" is a meaningless term if we're going to use "feels" definitions for it. You can't have a reasonable discussion if everyone has their own personal definitions of words.

Did the game actually move significant numbers of consoles? If yes, it's a system seller. If no, then it can still be a brilliant game, but it's not a system seller. That's pretty much all it boils down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wasn't the word that they're just using SD cards?
    If they do it will be proprietary cards based on SD technology just the the 3DS game cards. They're not going to just stick the games on generic SD cards.

I was thinking about this, and it seems like comparing Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess is a very apt comparison.

Twilight Princess came out with two versions, both of which could be played with on the next-gen system due to backwards compatibility, so you could choose which version you wanted. Whereas with Breath of the Wild, the rumors are gathering around no physical backwards compatibility with the previous generation.

Next, both versions of Twilight Princess were nearly identical, with different control schemes and a swapped map being the only major differences. Breath of the Wild, based on comments from Reggie and Aounuma and from what we've seen of the Wii U version, the NX version of Breath of the Wild will be the graphically superior version (more steady framerate, if not better locked framerate, less pop-in, etc.).

Finally, I thought there was another comparison, but I guess I either forgot it or didn't have another.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    I was thinking about this, and it seems like comparing Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess is a very apt comparison.

Twilight Princess came out with two versions, both of which could be played with on the next-gen system due to backwards compatibility, so you could choose which version you wanted. Whereas with Breath of the Wild, the rumors are gathering around no physical backwards compatibility with the previous generation.

Next, both versions of Twilight Princess were nearly identical, with different control schemes and a swapped map being the only major differences. Breath of the Wild, based on comments from Reggie and Aounuma and from what we've seen of the Wii U version, the NX version of Breath of the Wild will be the graphically superior version (more steady framerate, if not better locked framerate, less pop-in, etc.).

Finally, I thought there was another comparison, but I guess I either forgot it or didn't have another.
    Most likely because the NX will use an entirely different, most likely x86, architecture compared to the ARM based Wii U. I don't really have a problem with this, depending on system specs, they could in theory do software emulation for Wii U games, but at this point I would be fine if they just moved forward and stopped dwelling on the past of supporting old systems. I was happy when the DS came out and there was GBA support since it was still a wildly popular system at the time, but they moved away from it eventually with later iterations of the system and while the 3DS is backwards compatible, they use essentially the same cartridge design just with higher capacity cards in the 3DS. Whatever they do with their next portable, I hope they continue down the cartridge road while pushing ahead with internal storage support as an option. Out of all the blunders Nintendo has made the last several years, the 3DS has been one of the few systems where they didn't fuck up royally right out of the gate. Better to not pull a Sony though and use proprietary memory cards, because that would be suicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Most likely because the NX will use an entirely different, most likely x86, architecture compared to the ARM based Wii U.
    Wow. The Wii U is PPC not ARM, and most rumors point towards NX being ARM based and not x86. This comment made me laugh pretty hard.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Derp, brain are failing me tonight.

And anyone who uses ARM for a console should be shot. How many successful gaming devices run on ARM that can play current generation games? I will give you a hint, it's none. Look at how many devices run on ARM and tell me which one's can perform as well as what the other systems.

If Nintendo wants to again alienate themselves by using technology that won't be easy to port to, that is their own fault, but better to be a sheep and follow the herd than be the lone wolf that starves to death because he can't figure out how to catch up to the sheep.

How many of the big 3 have tried running a home console on ARM architecture?

Your statement is laughable at best. You could use a chip with ARM architecture that is better then the base model Xbox Ones and PS4s for similar cost.

Also if Nintendo wants any kind of cross compatibility with handheld x86 is not an option at all. Thus why ARM emerges as the likely candidate.

Don't even try the bs that ARM is harder to develop for because one thing the Vita was praised for by developers is being the easiest system to port to.

I'm not sure if this has been said but it looks like nx is going to be another Wii.

Haven't they learned from the Wii U? Being this late to the game but not wowing people with power, when people are talking about the ps 4.5.