Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First time building a pc. NEED HELP

Hey guys,

as the title states, i'd like to build a pc. My primary use will be for gaming (WoW, RS, ETC). I have a budget of $1200-$1400. If someone would be able to help me find all the necessary parts i can get the most out of for my budget, that would be great. Thanks.

I had this build thrown together for awhile now. There's a couple of things to consider. If you want to you can wait for the RX 480 to come out at the end of the month instead of buying a 1070. The RX 480 is rumored to be equal to nvidias 980, and it will only cost 200$. The 1070 is a stronger single card but it's probably overkill for what you're doing. The CPU is intels "k" cpu it's overclockable and I highly recommend overclocking it to get the most out of it. You can look up a guide on youtube on how to do so. If you don't feel like messing with overclocking you can save some money by getting a 6600 for your cpu and a Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 for your mobo instead.

Did you need an OS/Peripherals/Monitors?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($90.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1169.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-23 16:51 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-23 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks for replying. I was wanting to have duel monitors too. Any good ones you can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Moosexx View Post
    Thanks for replying. I was wanting to have duel monitors too. Any good ones you can recommend?
    These two are both nice monitors without breaking the bank. The first one is a very basic show you stuff monitor and is 21.5 inches. Second one is slightly higher quality it's 23inches and has a 1MS response time.

Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Micro Center)

Does everything you listed include like all the cords and everything i would need to make it absolutely work?

Does everything you listed include like all the cords and everything i would need to make it absolutely work?
    Yes sir all cords should be included in the said boxes. You will probably need a surge protector. Also I'd try to match your monitors not get two of the same type.

Assuming you already have a mouse and keyboard.
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-23 at 09:56 PM.

for just wow and, well if RS is runescape, would a rx 480 perhaps be a better value than a 1070?

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    for just wow and, well if RS is runescape, would a rx 480 perhaps be a better value than a 1070?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    If you don't have a copy of windows 10 to use you'll need that too. You can get it for around $30 from Kinguin. I'd also suggest getting a bag of zip ties so that you can keep the cables nice and neat.

If you can wait for the RX 480 to launch at the end of the month that would make the build $200 cheaper than buying a 1070. A 1070 is rather overkill for the games you listed.
    Yep mentioned the RX 480 in my original post and the 1070 being overkill. And most motherboards come with a couple of zipties. Personally I have a bag of a couple thousand lying around lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    If you don't have a copy of windows 10 to use you'll need that too. You can get it for around $30 from Kinguin. I'd also suggest getting a bag of zip ties so that you can keep the cables nice and neat.
    Not sure about the case in the build, but my case came with zip ties. Corsair 200R. It's also less expensive than the case suggested in the build.

I dont have a mouse and keyboard either ahah. Also what would be the problem getting two of the same monitors? Lastly, will the build be able to run the games listed and or most games on max settings if i waited for the rx 480?

I dont have a mouse and keyboard either ahah. Also what would be the problem getting two of the same monitors? Lastly, will the build be able to run the games listed and or most games on max settings if i waited for the rx 480?
    Yeah, the RX 480 should have no problems playing most modern games on max or near max settings at 1080p and should be pretty good at 1440p as well.

Alright, thanks guys! Does the RX require like a connector or anything? Or do i just slide it in and its good to go?

Alright, thanks guys! Does the RX require like a connector or anything? Or do i just slide it in and its good to go?
    RX 480 is just like any other GPU you have to insert it into the PCI-e slot and plug in the PCI-e power connecter(assuming it has one)

Update: Here are my recommended peripherals

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
    Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset ($67.90 @ Amazon)

If you want~
    Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($22.99 @ Amazon)
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-23 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You mean surge protector. A powerstrip, by itself, isn't really a good idea for something this expensive.
    Yeah sorry I'll edit my post I kind of use powerstrip interchangeably with surge protector.

And yes two of the same monitor is perfectly fine(recommended actually)

ill watch videos and stuff so i can put it together right. once everything is together does it just startup and im able to get windows 10? or do i need to do something

ill watch videos and stuff so i can put it together right. once everything is together does it just startup and im able to get windows 10? or do i need to do something
    You'll need to have a thumbdrive or a CD/CD drive to plug into your PC to download windows to your SSD/HDD (I recommend the SSD) and you'll need to purchase a copy of windows 10.

sorry but i'm gonna pop in and ask something i've always wondered but never really found a solid answer on..

what is the point of a surge protector if all of my plugs are fused? like.. isn't the point of a fuse to be a point of controlled failure should there be an unsafe surge of power?

Okay so if i was to buy windows 10 online, i'd transfer it over to the thumbdrive, then once the computer is setup i just plug it in?

Okay so if i was to buy windows 10 online, i'd transfer it over to the thumbdrive, then once the computer is setup i just plug it in?
    Plug in the thumbdrive, power on the PC, it will probably bring you to the bios first there isn't anything you need to bother with there for now, exit the bios, it should load you into windows installation if you did everything correctly and you're good to go from there.

~DO NOTE: For me I had to get the Z170-a drivers off of the asus site being that the ethernet port did not work untill I did so.

Do you have skype or discord or somethin i can add you on for further questions man?