I am proud of Europe. And very disappointed in US...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    I am proud of Europe. And very disappointed in US...
    US destroyed with their own hands a 100% chance to get a sequel )))))

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    Unfortunately they are cutting back on showtimes and screenings in theaters.

To make room for Indy Day and NYCSM 2

is No.1
    Why is there such a massive difference in earnings between FF7 and Warcrafts earnings, when their presale/opening weekends were quite close?
    I was convinced Warcraft would be doing much better than this in China, particularly because of the franchise and its rewatchability potential, which I was sure is massive in China. Also, is it normal to remove a massive box office hit in China only after a couple of weeks in theaters?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phyx View Post
    Why is there such a massive difference in earnings between FF7 and Warcrafts earnings, when their presale/opening weekends were quite close?
    I was convinced Warcraft would be doing much better than this in China, particularly because of the franchise and its rewatchability potential, which I was sure is massive in China. Also, is it normal to remove a massive box office hit in China only after a couple of weeks in theaters?
    FF7 was a sequel let's say people of all kind watched it
    Warcraft was frontloaded by fans this is why we had those huge number on OW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    US destroyed with their own hands a 100% chance to get a sequel )))))
    Nah, don't worry.
    The movie will be in the movie theaters for almost another couple month (the usual cycle is 75 days).
    Then comes cable PPV and DVD releases on top.
    In the end the revenue may be in the $700 - $750 mio range. And that warrants a part 2 easily.
    Plus, maybe the US market learns from the Chinese market and advertises the next movie better.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Well the idea is that Thrall becomes a gladiator while being enslaved and he fights different people. I think the plan is to have him fight a tauren, which would be epic
    What if he becomes buddies with the fellow tauren gladiator?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Nah, don't worry.
    The movie will be in the movie theaters for almost another couple month (the usual cycle is 75 days).
    Then comes cable PPV and DVD releases on top.
    In the end the revenue may be in the $700 - $750 mio range. And that warrants a part 2 easily.
    Plus, maybe the US market learns from the Chinese market and advertises the next movie better.
    Also given that the first Iron Man movie that started the MCU earned "only" $585 million while Iron Man 3 earned $1.215 billion there may well also be reasons to believe that sequels could do better. We seem to be living in an age of sequels afters all, and more people will have watched the first one through home media, streaming and TV by the time the second movie comes out. And if they agree with the wider audience they will be positively surprised when seeing the movie, potentially going in to it with pretty low expectations at that given the lukewarm response it has received from critics, while the overall response from audiences has been very positive. If Warcraft can slowly work its way up to $450 million, which has been widely reported as a break-even for the film, then I'm sure they will have another go at it. It's all set up now in terms of technology and props that they had to develop for the first movie, and Duncan is obviously in. And for Blizzard break-even is a very good result, as they obviously stand to gain a lot of attention and marketing for their franchise by way of the movies. If it doesn't reach that much at the box office, then I'm not sure, but I still think that they will invest in another one.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2016-06-23 at 08:21 PM.

Not Warcraft, but another reason why you should hate Metacritic

Look at this! So many positive reviews and then it gets such a mediocre general score? That's stupid :P

Not Warcraft, but another reason why you should hate Metacritic

Look at this! So many positive reviews and then it gets such a mediocre general score? That's stupid :P
    sans tits bruv LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    or they just dont like those factions and characters.
    Yes, because of factional affiliation reasons. Otherwise, you're stating there are people who played Warcraft III and actually disliked any of the campaigns.

or they just dont like those factions and characters.

this is like someone who doesnt like spider-man getting bitched at for not going to see homecoming "because its all connected"

some people just dont like certain characters.
    It's a bit different with superheores.
    Superheroes initially started as standalone characters and stories before they started the crossovers and became part of a unified universe and many stories now are still stand alone.
    it is normal that someone won't spend his time watching every piece of MCU especially when it isnt necessary to understand the rest.

With warcraft having 1 solid continuity it is different.

We aren't talking about mere interest.
    We are reffering to people who are salty specifically becuase theur faction isnt catered to and whine that the Horde won;t be represented in an Arthas' story for example.
    These are the people he mentioned and we wrote what we believe about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    If Warcraft can slowly work its way up to $450 million, which has been widely reported as a break-even for the film, then I'm sure they will have another go at it.
    Who would invest any money in a franchise that takes your money and return them with 0% profit after 3 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Who would invest any money in a franchise that takes your money and return them with 0% profit after 3 years?
    Because there's more to it than box office.... More ways to make money that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Anyone who did so with a dozen other franchises like Nolan's Batman trilogy?

Nolan's Batman Begins had a great domestic release and a solid as f--k franchise. The last 2 movies got 4 times their budget.

Warcraft is simply nowhere close.

People who believe that after investing a lot in getting the technology and props needed to make a film of this magnitude they could do another one of the same quality for a somewhat slimmer budget, people who believe that as more people watch this first movie through various means after its box office run more people will be familiar with the franchise and interested in the sequel, people who DO get a profit as after they in that case would have hit break-even at the box office they would start earning money through home media, streaming and TV rights in the years to come, and people who gains in indirect profits through having their franchise receiving a lot of attention through these movies leading to more sales of other Warcraft products such as World of Warcraft. That's the "who".

The Dark Knight was announced more than a year after Batman Begins. So I suppose we will still have to wait a long time if we ever should hear something about a sequel, after they track the home release reception of the movie and posible incomes from a sequel. Granted they won't lose money with this first one, but won't earn much either, it's not entirely out of the table.

Update : Another problem is the names. After the terrific critics it could be difficult to find actors who may take the risk. Toby Kebbel stated in an interview he would like to portray Thrall. If the story really goes the way DJ says in that interview at least he has a good actor guaranteed for the main character.
    Last edited by Vitrino; 2016-06-23 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    The Dark Knight was announced more than a year after Batman Begins. So I suppose we will still have to wait a long time if we ever should hear something about a sequel, after they track the home release reception of the movie and posible incomes from a sequel. Granted they won't lose money with this first one, but won't earn much either, it's not entirely out of the table.

Update : Another problem is the names. After the terrific critics it could be difficult to find actors who may take the risk. Toby Kebbel stated in an interview he would like to portray Thrall. If the story really goes the way DJ says in that interview at least he has a good actor guaranteed for the main character.
    thats not a problem. warcrafts cast was mostly d listers anyways. they came pretty cheap and warcraft probably paid them a nice payday compared to their usual movies and tv shows.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

thats not a problem. warcrafts cast was mostly d listers anyways. they came pretty cheap and warcraft probably paid them a nice payday compared to their usual movies and tv shows.
    I forgot about Rob, he will surely repeat too. And Daniel Wu, being the movie a hit over his country.
    But I was thinking a big appeal for the general audience would be a reasonable big name. Maybe for the role of Taretha Foxton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They made a profit on Batman Begins and it was successful domestically(made over $200M). Add in the fact that it got decent reviews and it's not surprising they did more movies after much deliberation. Just had to wait for the massive money they made off the DVDs in the US.

Yes but you know how loyal to the bran Blizzard's fan community is. The amounts of DVD sales that Batman Begins made is perfectly attainable for Warcraft. IMO the crucial point will be the studies they make of the reception of the movie by the wide audience from broadcasting and streaming.
    Last edited by Vitrino; 2016-06-23 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And movies that don't do well at the box office rarely do well on home video(although there are outliers).
    The big drop the movie suffered between the first and the second weekends at the two biggest markets is an outlier. It's clearly the fan effect. That same outlier could increase the DVD/BR sales. (I admit I don't know much about piracy in China, and that could take my point totally down).