Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalus View Post
    Actually that's the common interpretation. The real story is....*nonsense*
    Top kek. In fact, quite the toppest of the keks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    Bruh we get it, you hate religion. But we don't do things BECAUSE we will get rewarded (well maybe some of us do), we do good things because we WANT to, and because it's the right thing to do, and it just so HAPPENS that we will be rewarded, but it's not our primary motivator. At least, it's not for me. It doesn't even come into play for me. I like helping people, I'd give my enemy the shirt off my back, even if he then stuck a knife through my gut. I don't care.
    My feelings towards religion have nothing to do with it, the influence of religion in decision making is undeniable since there are clear rewards and punishments. Whether it is avoidance of sin, guilt, getting to heaven etc, it is far from selfless behavior.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalus View Post
    Actually that's the common interpretation. The real story is that romans were good people and instead of killing entire cities, like some barbarians did, they took the agitators and crucified them. The T-shaped "crosses" were usually put up on hills so that the whole city would see it, it was that time and age's equivalent of the "news at 5". The whole idea was for them to have a very nasty, loud and visually graphic death, so that it would prevent others into becoming agitators. Now turning events into fantasy for the sake of it... is another story, the story of the many, the story of the stupid, the gullible, the dreamers, the addicts for the surreal, and tbh fuck that, i'm not telling that story.

@Hubcap: there is no true altruistic act and we have to deal with it and whatever good comes from anyone's actions we have to welcome it, encourage it, basicly broadcast it. Only then will we reach a true level of civilisation, when we will really help each-other out, as opposed to all the identity crisis and blaming/shaming and killing and so on that's happening nowadays. Maybe we will never achieve such greatness, but one can always hope.
    Actually the true story is Pilot did not want to kill Jesus. He found him not guilty of any crime punishable by death. But he did it to appease the Hebrews who demanded his death for heresy. His job was to try to prevent a uprising if he could. And the Romans could be very barbaric in their treatment of their enemies. Check out what they did in Gaul.

Spreading cuteness and happiness to other is altruistic and unselfish. It's cute to help other find cuteness in their lives and to make other happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    My feelings towards religion have nothing to do with it, the influence of religion in decision making is undeniable since there are clear rewards and punishments. Whether it is avoidance of sin, guilt, getting to heaven etc, it is far from selfless behavior.
    Good points. A person can be motivated by rewards to do good things. Absolutely true.

There is no such thing as an unselfish act, If you define selfish act as an act which concerns one person exclusively that is.
    Given that one can only rely on its own sensations to perceives the world, any act committed by one concerns itself exclusively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Something you may find interesting also:

Godlike princess curbs childhood cheating
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...hood-cheating/

This is why I think ideology matters, religious or not. And why some people need an ideology to not do dumb stuff.
    Interesting. So this is somewhat the case when drivers will watch their speed limits when they know a cop is near and watching them.

Going vegan. I miss meat and dairy all the time, but its the right thing to do.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Going vegan. I miss meat and dairy all the time, but its the right thing to do.
    Oh please, spare us your self-righteous hypocrisy. Going vegan is not "the right thing to do". It's your personal choice, it's not morally right or wrong, correct or incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sure, and all he got out of it was living forever in heaven, in judgement over all mankind.
    is it really a good act if it knew it was going to rez again? ..????

.. an act? for sure... a good one? lols no

thats like saying, im giving you a house because i know im getting 300 houses for free in 3 days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Was listening to a podcast were they were talking about unselfish altruistic acts. It was their opinion that there are no such acts because acting in an unselfish altruistic way makes you feel good so you got something out of the exchange.

Giving a wino a $1 makes you feel good and the wino feels good cause he's that much closer to buying his bottle of fortified wine.

Is there an unselfish altruistic act?
    Marine Capt. Jeff Kruss was a Blue Angel pilot involved in a crash earlier this month. He could have ejected, but did not do so because had he ejected, the plane would have hit an apartment building with people possibly inside. He died because he chose not to eject.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Actually the true story is Pilot did not want to kill Jesus. He found him not guilty of any crime punishable by death. But he did it to appease the Hebrews who demanded his death for heresy. His job was to try to prevent a uprising if he could. And the Romans could be very barbaric in their treatment of their enemies. Check out what they did in Gaul.
    It's the story that's been presented to us... as they did crucify agitators of all kind. Whether it's roman killers or "freedom fighters", when you became a "rockstar" you were crucified.

Oh please, spare us your self-righteous hypocrisy. Going vegan is not "the right thing to do". It's your personal choice, it's not morally right or wrong, correct or incorrect.
    Wow, someone got triggered pretty hard.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Wow, someone got triggered pretty hard.
    Not at all actually, it's just you vegans are all the same, you shove your "hur dur we r moraly superior 2 u" crap down our throats every chance you get.

Not at all actually, it's just you vegans are all the same, you shove your "hur dur we r moraly superior 2 u" crap down our throats every chance you get.
    lol, ok.

Being vegan means doing the least amount of harm possible. If you feel like that's superior to how you live, maybe look inward

Deleted
    I thought of one, paying taxes. Some of the money might go towards doing something good, maybe. I certainly don't feel good about paying taxes.
    Something that you have to do at gunpoint is not altruism.

As for real altruism, well everything makes you feel something. You can technically make the same argument about everything.

Was listening to a podcast were they were talking about unselfish altruistic acts. It was their opinion that there are no such acts because acting in an unselfish altruistic way makes you feel good so you got something out of the exchange.

Giving a wino a $1 makes you feel good and the wino feels good cause he's that much closer to buying his bottle of fortified wine.

Is there an unselfish altruistic act?
    I do volunteer search and rescue. Part of the work is body recoveries. They do not make you feel good in anyway. While the successes make you feel good. As a volunteer you do not have to turn up to every job. Yet we turn up to the good and the bad.

Yes, throwing yourself on a grenade/explosive is very selfless.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    Yes, throwing yourself on a grenade/explosive is very selfless.
    Or reckless. You really don't know what goes in one's mind when they do that. Because they die and cannot tell you. Don't assume to know.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side