Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was very confused by the little more when I googled the prices I have to admit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    So this 480 (4gb version) is going to be better than GTX 980 without OC'ing or what? They say it's between GTX 980 and 980 Ti in terms of performance. Is that correct?
    There's no benchmarks officially released, but word on the street is that it performs like a 390x, which performs around a GTX 980. Also, depends on the games as well. Some games favor Nvidia like Project Cars, and some favor AMD like Ashes of the Singularity. I'd imagine the only way it'll perform near a 980 Ti is in DX12 games like Hitman and AOTS, which you already see with the 390X.

If you have a 970 or 980 I wouldn't get a 480. Pointless waste of money. The 470's and 480's are for people who don't have a GTX 970/980 or R9 290/390 type graphics card. Even if you had a GTX 780 Ti, I wouldn't buy a 480. But most people on Steam don't have anything near the 480. A lot of people are running old Nvidia cards, particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Doubling the price isn't exactly a little more, to play the same resolutions a little bit faster.
    Well, no, but it will last longer.

as for the prices

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigab...gx-155-gi.html - 980 GTX £289

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2-...gx-091-kf.html - 1070 £374.99

It is only a "little" bit more by comparison.
    Last edited by Turaska; 2016-06-22 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Personally I'd splash out a little more for a 1070 and just overclock it, it'll probably last you longer than a 980 would.
    You do realize that when he said 980 for 200 bucks he was likely referring to the 480 because it will have 980 like performance for $200.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the Linux people, in other words @Dukenukemx here. Lol
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...X-480-Is-Going

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen that article earlier. The 480 will suck at Linux benchmarks just like all the other AMD cards. The drivers aren't going to magically work better for the 480.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    The RX 480 is getting way too much hype. I'm afraid people are going to be disappointed and hate AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    The RX 480 is getting way too much hype. I'm afraid people are going to be disappointed and hate AMD.
    Depends on which hype you believe? If you think the 480 is a 1070 killer, then you'll be disappointed. If you see the 480 as a cheap 970/980/290/390, then you won't be disappointed.

The only thing that'll make people hate AMD is if the prices aren't matching the MSRP. Online retailers are assholes when it comes to the prices of new graphic cards. You are better off going to a local BestBuy or electronic retail store to pick up a RX 480, cause they will keep the MSRP price. Online retailers seem exempt from this.

Considering the fiasco around the 1080/1070, you'd think people would attack stores like NewEgg and Amazon for jacking up prices. For a while now, none of them have been able to keep prices around MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Well, no, but it will last longer.

as for the prices

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigab...gx-155-gi.html - 980 GTX £289

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2-...gx-091-kf.html - 1070 £374.99

It is only a "little" bit more by comparison.
    $600 for a Gtx 1070 eh

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Depends on which hype you believe? If you think the 480 is a 1070 killer, then you'll be disappointed. If you see the 480 as a cheap 970/980/290/390, then you won't be disappointed.

The only thing that'll make people hate AMD is if the prices aren't matching the MSRP. Online retailers are assholes when it comes to the prices of new graphic cards. You are better off going to a local BestBuy or electronic retail store to pick up a RX 480, cause they will keep the MSRP price. Online retailers seem exempt from this.

Considering the fiasco around the 1080/1070, you'd think people would attack stores like NewEgg and Amazon for jacking up prices. For a while now, none of them have been able to keep prices around MSRP.
    The 480 should not have supply issues. OCUK alone has around 1000 card ready and they can get more if they need them. Compare that to the new NVidia one that has 5000 pre orders but only managed to ship 1000 (also OCUK). They expect about 500 cards sold on day one, so hopefully no price jacking. However, I would still recommend to waiting for custom models (also launch drivers tend to have issues).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    The 480 should not have supply issues. OCUK alone has around 1000 card ready and they can get more if they need them. Compare that to the new NVidia one that has 5000 pre orders but only managed to ship 1000 (also OCUK). They expect about 500 cards sold on day one, so hopefully no price jacking. However, I would still recommend to waiting for custom models (also launch drivers tend to have issues).
    Price jacking is inevitable, but the huge supplies should help keep those online retailers near the MSRP range. But still, I'd be looking at local retail type stores to buy a RX 480.

Ok this aint looking good and what i was worried about:

http://www.techspot.com/news/65328-a...cb-photos.html

More importantly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amDuBHloqk

I just tested with his exact settings on that map and i was getting 80-90 FPS with a gtx 760 and a 2500k. I have no idea what CPU they have but my god blizzard games simply do not like AMD GPU's. The card on paper is more than twice as fast as my 760 but in this game its almost nothing, i watch streams of people with 970's and they are in the 150+ FPS range on ultra. Ugh, what is it with AMD cards and blizz games, they just dont make nice together. I will bet anyone in here a gtx 970 will beat 480 in WoW/overwatch while the 480 stomps it in anything else.

Such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Your 760 is performing almost on the level of a 970 then. Either that or you're not playing at max settings.
    wut? I just tested using the exact settings the video was using and it was ranging 80-90 fps at 1080p. Ive seen 970 streams sitting at 150 fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ok this aint looking good and what i was worried about:

http://www.techspot.com/news/65328-a...cb-photos.html

More importantly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amDuBHloqk

I just tested with his exact settings on that map and i was getting 80-90 FPS with a gtx 760 and a 2500k. I have no idea what CPU they have but my god blizzard games simply do not like AMD GPU's. The card on paper is more than twice as fast as my 760 but in this game its almost nothing, i watch streams of people with 970's and they are in the 150+ FPS range on ultra. Ugh, what is it with AMD cards and blizz games, they just dont make nice together. I will bet anyone in here a gtx 970 will beat 480 in WoW/overwatch while the 480 stomps it in anything else.

Such a shame.
    I don't think you understand what you're looking at. The image of GPU-Z doesn't mean anything because this is a totally new GPU. There's a lot of optimizations done in the hardware that make these numbers unimportant. Much like Nvidia using the extra clock speed boost from 16nm, so is AMD with 14nm. Don't read too much into that.

The video itself is more confusing. The person looks like to be averaging 100 fps on what looks like mostly Ultra. Couple of settings are on High, specifically Texture quality and refraction quality. And where do video cards fall in Ultra quality?

Also this isn't a benchmark but someone playing the game. From what I've seen on YouTube, people with GTX 980 get anywhere from 60fps to 120 fps. Why it ranges so much I don't know. But it looks like it performs like a GTX 970 - 980, which is what we already knew it would.

First off i WANT to buy this GPU guys lol. I literally just tested that video with the same settings he had at the end of the video and i was in the 80-90 range on that map with a 1300mhz gtx 760 and a 4.2ghz 2500k. I am doing best i can to replicate this but people are telling me my results are too high for my setup apparently?

nVidia has lost me trust in products too many times over the series of years. Don't agree with the business/marketing decisions they've been doing. Also don't agree with the prices they are doing for the small performance gain.

AMD on the other hand. I've owned around 5 AMD cards, and only 1 has failed. 5770, working. 6870, working. 7870, working. R9 270x, failed. R9 390x, working.

Personal history with the two companies, I will give nVidia no more chances, or efforts into getting any of their products.

Note: I'm on 1080p, and have no need or desire to go beyond at this time. Tried 2K 27". Didn't like it.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

IDGAF about marketing or any of that crap, i just want a GPU that performs in the games i play. So far from what ive seen AMD is continuing the trend of failing at blizzard games.

IDGAF about marketing or any of that crap, i just want a GPU that performs in the games i play. So far from what ive seen AMD is continuing the trend of failing at blizzard games.
    What driver did he use for the game? Not sure how much you know about GPU's but drivers can make a huge difference. If they didn't use drivers with Polaris optimizations the card could be performing far worse than it should (in some games drivers can increase performance by more than 50%).

There is a good reason why people should wait for official reviews next week before judging the cards performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never understood that logic. Blizzard games tend to love the CPU, not the GPU. You could have a toaster for a graphics card and Blizzard games would run fine. It's like asking for an F1 race car to go to the grocery store. OverWatch maybe the exception, but even still if you're getting over 60 fps then why do you need a more powerful graphics card? The RX 480 is getting over 100 fps on Ultra and I'm wondering why people see this as a failure? Actually the people on that YouTube video were excited for the RX 480, but whatever.

Besides OverWatch, you have WoW as the only two demanding games that Blizzard makes. Unless you really think that a GTX 1080 is needed to play Diablo 3? As long as the GPU is sufficient, the CPU is all that really matters.