Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Who would invest any money in a franchise that takes your money and return them with 0% profit after 3 years?
    Fox with Fantastic Four? They are literally shreeding money just to piss off Marvel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronicsauce View Post
    That's true and I acknowledge it, but I still left the theatre very disappointed. That being said, people that don't know much about the original story will enjoy the film much more, however the concern there is that they'll think that's how things actually went down. Prepare for lore debates in the future with people who watched the movie and think they know everything about the origins of Warcraft and spout tons of misinformation :/
    Don't think that's true at all. I have been playing Warcraft since the original Orcs & Humans. The differences are minute and ultimately negligible as the story meets the same conclusion.

I can't imagine you would like any film adaption as they all take creative license at some point, some to the point where it actually changes the story. These changes, did not change the story. I would say that it actually makes for a better story, BECAUSE they took the liberties they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Doubtful. If anything it shows that the only people who will buy the DVD are fans instead of general audiences, which would decrease their sales. Every major IP has massive fans that will buy the DVDs, the successful ones create new fans with their movies who then go buy the books, dvds and other merch.
    The thing you are forgetting about the DVD sales and the movie is that Duncan Jones cut nearly 40 min of FINISHED footage from the film. That makes for a pretty kick ass director's cut. WTB pre-order.

Where Blizzard really missed an opportunity was the in-game items to promote the film. Had it have been an exclusive mount/pet/thrall in a basket toy... (with the purchase of a ticket) the film would have done a lot better. But perhaps they can do that for the Blu-Ray sales... seriously this talk about DVDs... who buys DVDs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by phyx View Post
    Why is there such a massive difference in earnings between FF7 and Warcrafts earnings, when their presale/opening weekends were quite close?
    I was convinced Warcraft would be doing much better than this in China, particularly because of the franchise and its rewatchability potential, which I was sure is massive in China. Also, is it normal to remove a massive box office hit in China only after a couple of weeks in theaters?
    FF7 got a huge audience and Paul Walker did die though

Overall the audience went more often to the theater last year than this year. They also increased the number of foreign films this year in China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Who would invest any money in a franchise that takes your money and return them with 0% profit after 3 years?
    Hollywood Accounting.

I am sure it works in reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. A director's cut doesn't mean they can't bootleg the shit. And it doesn't magically create more customers in the US either. And Duncan has already said that currently the plan is for a few deleted scenes and no director's cut unless the film magically starts doing better.
    I am not saying piracy isn't a problem in China... cuz it absolutely is. But your bootleg argument really holds no water, because even box office movies get pirated. So if available bootleg/pirated material has an effect on sales... it should have effected the box office as well, it didn't so there is no reason to assume that the home movie sales would be that much different when compared to box office sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    I don't know, tomorrow it officially will reach 400M$ it is now at 397,6M$ as far as I know
    projected 450-470 Million overall now

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but in China they'll see a movie in theaters and still buy the bootleg before buying the official DVD for many reasons. Mostly because they can get the exact same movie bootlegged later but you can only see the movie in theaters one way, even if you buy a bootleg. Part of the reason to see a movie like Warcraft on the big screen is for the visceral experience it provides.
    Your logic has holes plain and simple. But keep pretending like you are an expert on the Chinese cinema market.

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    projected 450-470 Million overall now
    And doesn't it need 500 Million to start making a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by charan25 View Post
    I am sure there are several methods to cover the slight loss or barely breaking even situation if what you and others say is true.

Until someone provides proof about that number it will be forever considered fake.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    Until someone provides proof about that number it will be forever considered fake.
    They did actually. There were several pages of discussion on it and someone linked the way the math works out for most films.

While we cannot know exact numbers, the idea is based on them spending around as much on advertising as production. Then you have to account for the % that goes to each party.

The idea is after all the math is done, you need about 500 million to consider a movie like this to go back into the green for the peopel who actually spent money advertising and creating it.

Go back a few pages. Look in the 80-90 range. It's all there.

anyone posted this already? I did not want to go back and read everything through

Another story that could be featured in the "Warcraft" movie sequel is about the Lich King. This would include the events of "Warcraft 3," with the rise and fall of Arthas as he turns to the iconic villain.
    http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/43...ncan-jones.htm

Again not confirmed but it is a good possibility. Ner'Zhul and Arthas then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    They did actually. There were several pages of discussion on it and someone linked the way the math works out for most films.

While we cannot know exact numbers, the idea is based on them spending around as much on advertising as production. Then you have to account for the % that goes to each party.

The idea is after all the math is done, you need about 500 million to consider a movie like this to go back into the green for the peopel who actually spent money advertising and creating it.

Go back a few pages. Look in the 80-90 range. It's all there.
    You could argue that marketing in the States and Canada was a big failure, you cannot blame everything on the creators and critics.

If they view if fair and square, they will green light a sequel and make a better, improved sequel movie marketingwise and productionwise.

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    anyone posted this already? I did not want to go back and read everything through

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/43...ncan-jones.htm

Again not confirmed but it is a good possibility. Ner'Zhul and Arthas then.

- - - Updated - - -

You could argue that marketing in the States and Canada was a big failure, you cannot blame everything on the creators and critics.

If they view if fair and square, they will green light a sequel and make a better, improved sequel movie marketingwise and productionwise.
    Hey man. I was just telling you where the number came from. I honestly don't even care about what did well or what failed or speculate on future stuff. I was just answering a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Hey man. I was just telling you where the number came from. I honestly don't even care about what did well or what failed or speculate on future stuff. I was just answering a question.
    do not need to feel offended, I was stating the obvious too.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, according to some sources it needs 450 and according to others it needs 400.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not pretending to be an expert on the Chinese cinema market, just stating well known facts about their home video market. Their online video market has been growing, but I don't know how that will impact this film as I haven't heard anything specific about those distribution rights aside from their OnDemand deal(which may well mean they already made all their money from that segment).
    (1) "Well known facts" implying it doesn't need a source and knowledge is commonplace, does not excuse you from making baseless claims.

(2) IF the online market is growing it further disproves your statement that people are unwilling to pay for a blu-ray/dvd because of the availability of bootlegs/pirated films

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    No, according to some sources it needs 450 and according to others it needs 400.
    Nah man... its destined to fail... even if it reaches 600 million. These haters are just here to hate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Shows that even when a movie is clearly profitable, somehow they manage to show it as a loss.

In REVERSE if a film is made because the studio NEEDS a loss on their books. Well creative accounting will make it that regardless.

Bottom line... these contradicting reports from outside sources mean very little. Reports from the actual source (the studio) mean very little.

Those of you concerned with its success (or determined to see it fail) will always come up with excuses as to why this movie was a flop.

Some of us... CAN see and support something we love. Its truly pathetic to see people with such vehement hatred toward a company and its products actively trolling a fansite... You're jaded... we can see that, move on with your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Nah man... its destined to fail... even if it reaches 600 million. These haters are just here to hate.
    Not to stir the pot (lie - entirely to stir the pot) but it can 'fail' even if it reaches 600 million, depending entirely on how you define success. What does it take for Warcraft to be deemed a 'successful' movie?
    - Break even, the studio makes its money back from production and marketing?
    - The movie makes a profit of X number of $?
    - The movie makes enough money and a sequel is greenlit?
    - Some other metric?

Given everything that has been thrown around in this thread a lot of optimists were predicting a billion dollar box office and at least a trilogy of movies. So if it doesn't do that did it fail, even if it ends up making money? I don't have an answer, obviously, I'm just saying Warcraft could do 'well' but still be considered a 'failure' depending on what your expectations are.

I know I'm going to get screamed at, but I'm still calling Warcraft a domestic failure, barely scraping past $40 million. Clearly the marketing didn't resonate with the US mainstream and the movie didn't find much of a domestic audience. But then it also puts the studio in an interesting position for a sequel. When 90% of your money is coming from outside of the US, what does that mean? Do you make a sequel counting on it to make similar international (as in China) bank and tailor it more towards that audience since the US market is clearly not your target? Do you try to tinker with the product to make it more appealing to US audiences at the risk of alienating your international box office? Given where the money is flowing from that would be a risky proposition.
    Honestly it would make much more sense to recoup your investment and simply move on, and I would be surprised to see a sequel any time soon, which likely means ever. So if the movie was expected/hoped to spawn a franchise and didn't do that, is it still a failure even if at the end of the day it made money because it still fell short of expectations?
    You could argue that either way. I mean people won't, because the ones who were insisting it would be a box office smash and spawn at least a trilogy are the ones who would also argue that if the movie made money obviously it was a raging success and won't say a negative thing about it, but still you could make either case if you wanted to.

It was an entertaining experiment at least, and we got 87 different movie posters out of the deal, because marketing.

Doing math is not proof.

Showing a link of it flat out saying it needs to make this much is proof.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

i mean, all you have to do is look at the budget and see that the movie clearly needs somewhere around 400+ to be worth the time.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i mean, all you have to do is look at the budget and see that the movie clearly needs somewhere around 400+ to be worth the time.
    Math proves nothing!!!

Anyways. Lol. I think all they gotta do is get better actors and a script for the humans. Do that, and the critics are in the bag. Next, buy more than a shoddy commercial spot a couple days before the film. Toss up a few billboards maybe, and get your cast in some talk shows or something.

Then the next movie will at least make 100 million. Most likely more , but at a bare minimum it will do far better in America, and the rest of the world won't feel left out.

I don't see any future for Warcraft sequel as long Duncan and his team (including Metzen) is on helm. They plan to make another Orc centric CGI fest with so much stuff crammed, it will make first one look an Oscar performance. In no way anyone will touch the sequel after seeing the reception for first one.

Any who, no decision for sequel is coming anytime soon. At the moment, sequel is dead. Things might change in year or two.