Page 31 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I never truely loved any zelda games nor liked it's systems. I'm only interested in this game because they are moving forward and following a more today's style of RPG

Though to say it's ripping off something like skyrim for example (or any other RPG like this format like Xenoblade) is just plain laughable
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    I know that MMO Champ usually has a hard on for anything Nintendo, but I really don't see what is so special about this Zelda game. It's outdated and behind the curve yet again (most of the stuff in the game has been done many times before in other games, and years ago at that).

I feel like Zelda games usually thrive on nostalgia and the fact that Nintendo basically starves their fan base long enough that they will rabidly devour anything that is thrown at them and praise it to the nth degree. Not saying that the game will be bad....in fact it will probably be a solid game.....but most other franchises would be ripped a new hole if they went the "safe route" that the Zelda games typically do. I've never understood why Zelda games get a free pass in this area while other games are criticized for it.

I personally use to find Zelda games fun....when I was in grade school. That's not meant as an insult or a jab at anyone....just stating that as I got older, I realized that the Zelda games are nowhere near the level of depth, detail, and innovation that other games have. Zelda games just play it safe, take forever to come out, and ride the waves of a nostalgic and starving fan base. Like I said, if a non Nintendo game did things the exact same way Zelda games are done, it'd be shredded in reviews and people would bash it to no end.
    please give me a list of these "much more depth, detail, innovation" action adventure open world games that isnt skyrim or witcher 3.

we dont exactly get games like zelda often in the first place.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that MMO Champ usually has a hard on for anything Nintendo, but I really don't see what is so special about this Zelda game. It's outdated and behind the curve yet again (most of the stuff in the game has been done many times before in other games, and years ago at that).

I feel like Zelda games usually thrive on nostalgia and the fact that Nintendo basically starves their fan base long enough that they will rabidly devour anything that is thrown at them and praise it to the nth degree. Not saying that the game will be bad....in fact it will probably be a solid game.....but most other franchises would be ripped a new hole if they went the "safe route" that the Zelda games typically do. I've never understood why Zelda games get a free pass in this area while other games are criticized for it.

I personally use to find Zelda games fun....when I was in grade school. That's not meant as an insult or a jab at anyone....just stating that as I got older, I realized that the Zelda games are nowhere near the level of depth, detail, and innovation that other games have. Zelda games just play it safe, take forever to come out, and ride the waves of a nostalgic and starving fan base. Like I said, if a non Nintendo game did things the exact same way Zelda games are done, it'd be shredded in reviews and people would bash it to no end.
    Innovation is overrated. A game does not have to be innovative in order to be great. The Witcher 3 is widely praised as being the standard for RPGs going forward and yet if you look at it, it isn't innovative at all. Everything that game does, other games have done before it. The difference is that The Witcher 3 did it incredibly well.

The reason people are hyped is that they are finally doing an open world legend of zelda game and it seems like it has a lot of potential for being a game where your experience is unique to you.

Is it taking a lot of inspiration from other games? Definitely and it's a good thing that they are. Have many games taken inspiration from Legend of Zelda? Damn sure.

I don't understand this idea of widely changing a game up in the sequel. If you find a formula that works, then expand upon it and add new things to it as well as fixing the flaws. Why would you wildly change up the formula (except in the case of this new game since in the time that Skyward Sword came out, Open World RPGs have risen) when you've got a core gameplay loop that works? That seems like innovation for innovation's sake, which at that point isn't innovation, it's a gimmick.

Oh and just so you know, if another game did what Legend of Zelda did, they definitely WOULDN'T be shredded in reviews, considering Okami is just another developer's take on the Legend of Zelda formula and that game has a 93 on metacritic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can imagine that Kingdom hearts menu music in this game. It fits this game better than Kingdom hearts.

I have no issue with people not enjoying Zelda.

But I'm not sure it's possible to be any more wrong about this. This game looks almost nothing like the older Zeldas. Durability and the weapon system is completely different, pretty much all 3D Zelda games were extremely linear with not much exploration going on, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I have no issue with people not enjoying Zelda.

But I'm not sure it's possible to be any more wrong about this. This game looks almost nothing like the older Zeldas. Durability and the weapon system is completely different, pretty much all 3D Zelda games were extremely linear with not much exploration going on, etc.
    Look, I get that people can really like Zelda games....even be borderline fanatical about them.

But I'm not sure how it's possible to be so blind that people can't see how behind the curve and "play it safe" Zelda is at this point.

Look, I get that people can really like Zelda games....even be borderline fanatical about them.

But I'm not sure how it's possible to be so blind that people can't see how behind the curve and "play it safe" Zelda is at this point.
    I'm literally giving you examples of how it's different. You're giving nothing but "it's playing it safe". At least try to prove it.

I'm literally giving you examples of how it's different. You're giving nothing but "it's playing it safe". At least try to prove it.
    Taking ideas and systems that have been in place in other games for years and finally adopting them into your own game and acting like its something new and revolutionary. When in truth it's long overdue (open world anyone?).

Using almost the exact same items/weapons/gear in almost every iteration of the game. Oh look ANOTHER hookshot! I wonder what it does!?

The graphics, AI, details to the story and environment, etc, etc all being outdated and lagging behind compared to other current games.

Story telling that makes elementary school papers look like Lord of the Rings in comparison.

Generally little to no depth to the action/adventure gameplay other than repeated/gimmicky mechanics.

Overused enemies. How many times do we need to kill/fight the same character(s)?

The list goes on really. Granted I know other video games suffer some of these same problems, but they are generally trashed for it in reviews while Zelda gets glowing praise for it. And pretty much all Zelda games have this problem. They stick to the same tired formula, mainly only adding or updating things that have proven to be beneficial, worthwhile, or at least attempted in other games first. So yes, they play it safe and it makes the games boring for most people who have learned to expect more out of their games.

And I can't believe that a game like this won Best Game of E3 2016 from some sites and reviewers. There were a lot more interesting and deserving games (some that are actually pushing the envelope in innovation, story telling, gameplay, originality, and/or scope) than yet ANOTHER fucking Zelda game. I mean, it's pathetic how Nintendo could probably just walked onto the stage, say "New Zelda", walk off the stage and end it right there, and there'd be the Nintendo die hards gushing in their panties, proclaiming it will be the best game ever.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-06-24 at 06:18 AM.

Taking ideas and systems that have been in place in other games for years and finally adopting them into your own game and acting like its something new and revolutionary. When in truth it's long overdue.
    It's long overdue? Yet according to you, they don't have to change up anything, and just ride on nostalgia. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that there is change.

Using almost the exact same items/weapons/gear in almost every iteration of the game. Oh look ANOTHER hookshot! I wonder what it does!?
    I haven't even seen a hookshot in this game, and apparently you've missed there being new items every game. Off the top of my head, ball and chain in Twilight Princess, Whip/Beetle in Skyward Sword. I'd be willing to bet there will be a new weapon/item, if not, the Fire Rod is pretty new for a 3D Zelda game.

Either way, this is like getting mad that RPGs still have swords as weapons.

The graphics, AI, details to the story and environment, etc, etc all being outdated and lagging behind compared to other current games.

Story telling that makes elementary school papers look like Lord of the Rings in comparison.

Overused enemies and mechanics.
    Literally we have no idea about any of these yet for Breath of the Wild aside from graphics/environment, but I can't really think of any bosses that are literally overused. Usually they're pretty unique. Sometimes there will be repeating enemies, but this is true to literally every single game ever basically that has a sequel. There's no logical reason for there to not be similar enemies if it's suppose to be in the same region.

The list goes on really. Granted I know other video games suffer some of these same problems, but they are generally trashed for it in reviews while Zelda gets glowing praise for it. And pretty much all Zelda games have this problem. They stick to the same tired formula, mainly only adding or updating things that have proven to be beneficial and worthwhile in other games first. So yes, they play it safe and it makes the games boring for most people who have learned to expect more out of their games.
    No, a game gets trashed in reviews if it's bad. Call of Duty games don't change up much, yet they usually get good reviews.

Although you kinda seem dug in about this being a bad/boring game before it's even launched.

It's long overdue? Yet according to you, they don't have to change up anything, and just ride on nostalgia. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that there is change.

I haven't even seen a hookshot in this game, and apparently you've missed there being new items every game. Off the top of my head, ball and chain in Twilight Princess, Whip/Beetle in Skyward Sword. I'd be willing to bet there will be a new weapon/item, if not, the Fire Rod is pretty new for a 3D Zelda game.

Literally we have no idea about any of these yet for Breath of the Wild aside from graphics/environment, but I can't really think of any bosses that are literally overused. Usually they're pretty unique. Sometimes there will be repeating enemies, but this is true to literally every single game ever basically that has a sequel. There's no logical reason for there to not be similar enemies if it's suppose to be in the same region.

No, a game gets trashed in reviews if it's bad. Call of Duty games don't change up much, yet they usually get good reviews.

Although you kinda seem dug in about this being a bad/boring game before it's even launched.
    Most of what I said is in reference to the entire Zelda series as a whole. Not just this one, unreleased game. And I said they play it safe....not that they NEVER change anything. There's a difference there. Sorry if you can't discern between the two. And I said many other games suffer some of the same problems, not just Zelda. But you're much more likely to see other games get critiqued for those things while Zelda games seem to get a free pass on them "because Zelda".

And you have to be pretty delusional to think that Zelda games don't thrive because of nostalgia. Becoming popular back in the days of the NES, Gameboy, and Super NES when there wasn't much competition and then carrying that forward to today when it's a lot of the same fans still riding the nostalgia wave each time a new Zelda gets released. It may be anecdotal evidence, but I can't think of a single person who likes the newer Zelda games that didn't get in on any of the earlier iterations of Zelda and become hooked on the nostalgia factor. I'm sure there are some out there, but it's one of the few franchises that I personally don't see a lot of new people getting into and praising it like the old nostalgic veterans do.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-06-24 at 06:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of what I said is in reference to the entire Zelda series as a whole. Not just this one, unreleased game. And I said they play it safe....not that they NEVER change anything. There's a difference there. Sorry if you can't discern between the two. And I said many other games suffer some of the same problems, not just Zelda. But you're much more likely to see other games get critiqued for those things while Zelda games seem to get a free pass on them "because Zelda".

And you have to be pretty delusional to think that Zelda games don't thrive because of nostalgia. Becoming popular back in the days of the NES, Gameboy, and Super NES when there wasn't much competition and then carrying that forward to today when it's a lot of the same fans still riding the nostalgia wave each time a new Zelda gets released. It may be anecdotal evidence, but I can't think of a single person who likes the newer Zelda games that didn't get in on any of the earlier iterations of Zelda and become hooked on the nostalgia factor. I'm sure there are some out there, but it's one of the few franchises that I personally don't see a lot of new people getting into and praising it like the old nostalgic veterans do.
    All of Nintendo's games get a slight pass because of nostalgia, but it's still quite clear that Nintendo is one of the best developers/publishers out there and a real argument could be made for them being THE best.

My first LoZ game that I ever beat was Ocarina of Time, but I beat it in 2012. I played Majora's Mask (didn't like it that much), I've beaten the first dungeon in Wind Waker HD and I liked it quite a bit but haven't had the chance to go back to it, and I'm currently playing through Twilight Princess HD and enjoying it quite a bit. So suffice to say, I have no nostalgia for the series and as a result I don't think that it's THE BEST SERIEZ EVAR. But it fills a niche that isn't often explored in games anymore (action adventure) and it does it impeccably. Ocarina of Time pretty much defined 3D action combat even if games like Dark Souls have taken that and greatly improved it. But combat isn't even what Legend of Zelda is about. Legend of Zelda is about puzzle solving and there's really nothing on the market that can match it in that sense right now.

Games that "play it safe" get criticized because they are probably in genres that are oversaturated and a review then becomes more of a "Why should you play this game over others in the genre" than a pure critique of its merits. Legend of Zelda doesn't have much competition (hell the only big games I can think of that are similar to it are Okami and Darksiders) so when a new one comes out, people get excited because they get to experience the epic dungeon crawling journey again.

Seems like you're comparing a bunch of other games to Legend of Zelda and picking out how LoZ is inferior but ignoring the focus of Legend of Zelda and what makes it great. No you're not going to find a deep story (although the Twilight Princess story is decently engaging right now). No you're not going to find deep combat compared to other 3rd person action games. Yes, you're going to find intricately crafted dungeons that are basically a giant puzzle. Legend of Zelda gets a pass because its unique. Just like how Dark Souls gets a pass for its flaws or a lot of Blizzard's games get passes for their flaws. When you're doing shit no one else is doing or just doing it way better than everyone else, then of course people aren't going to focus as much on the flaws.

Taking ideas and systems that have been in place in other games for years and finally adopting them into your own game and acting like its something new and revolutionary. When in truth it's long overdue (open world anyone?).

Generally little to no depth to the action/adventure gameplay other than repeated/gimmicky mechanics.

Overused enemies. How many times do we need to kill/fight the same character(s)?

The list goes on really. Granted I know other video games suffer some of these same problems, but they are generally trashed for it in reviews while Zelda gets glowing praise for it. And pretty much all Zelda games have this problem. They stick to the same tired formula, mainly only adding or updating things that have proven to be beneficial, worthwhile, or at least attempted in other games first. So yes, they play it safe and it makes the games boring for most people who have learned to expect more out of their games.

And I can't believe that a game like this won Best Game of E3 2016 from some sites and reviewers. There were a lot more interesting and deserving games (some that are actually pushing the envelope in innovation, story telling, gameplay, originality, and/or scope) than yet ANOTHER fucking Zelda game. I mean, it's pathetic how Nintendo could probably just walked onto the stage, say "New Zelda", walk off the stage and end it right there, and there'd be the Nintendo die hards gushing in their panties, proclaiming it will be the best game ever.
    I can't completely disagree with anything you're saying here. The only thing I'll say in defense is that Zelda games have always done all of the things you're referring to incredibly well, in a very polished package whereas other games are usually filled with bugs, or other problems that take away from the experience as a whole.

True, Zelda doesn't do anything truly revolutionary in any of it's iterations, but what it does do...it integrates and executes damn near flawlessly.

not to mention weve already seen like 5 entirely brand new enemies with new mechanics that weve never seen before
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The original LoZ was open world, so all those games have been copying Zelda. since then.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    The original LoZ was open world, so all those games have been copying Zelda. since then.
    ...what a laughable idea. I suppose LoZ also inspired the Tomb Raider reboot as well because they both have bows right?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ...what a laughable idea. I suppose LoZ also inspired the Tomb Raider reboot as well because they both have bows right?
    Exactly, but mostly greys anatomy inspired new Tomb Raider.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Comparing the original LoZ to what most people consider an open world game is laughable at best.

While it may techincally have been "open world", the fact that you are even trying to compare it to anything truly open world in today's sense is extremely foolish. You're having to stretch very long and hard on that one to try and make it stick. Sorry, but it just isn't working for you.

Go on laughing and making fun. You know where I was coming from with all that. You're just trying to hide and ignore the truth of it with idiotic jabs and comparisons.

Comparing the original LoZ to what most people consider an open world game is laughable at best.

While it may techincally have been "open world", the fact that you are even trying to compare it to anything truly open world in today's sense is extremely foolish. You're having to stretch very long and hard on that one to try and make it stick. Sorry, but it just isn't working for you.

Go on laughing and making fun. You know where I was coming from with all that. You're just trying to hide and ignore the truth of it with idiotic jabs and comparisons.
    So what is "truly open world" then? Having a massive overworld stocked with side quests, secrets and mini-puzzles has been a feature of every 2D and 3D Zelda game with the exception of Zelda 2, and arguably Skyward Sword, which changed it up by connecting play areas with a warp zone (and even that had the Sky). Breath of the Wild's world is unusual only in its sheer size.

Did they really do a whole Lets Play of this game at E3? Hardly makes me want to buy it now. It lost a lot of the allure a new adventure brings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Did they really do a whole Lets Play of this game at E3? Hardly makes me want to buy it now. It lost a lot of the allure a new adventure brings.
    They let people play a 40-60 minute demo with all the NPCs removed... You don't have to watch it.