Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Baltimore officer aquitted on all charges in Freedy grays death

A Baltimore judge acquitted Officer Caesar Goodson on all counts Thursday in the death of Freddie Gray, who death in police custody last year sparked days of riots throughout the city.

Goodson, who drove the van that transported Gray after his arrest, faced the most serious charges of the six officers involved in his death last April. He was found not guilty on all seven counts, including second-degree depraved-heart murder, second-degree assault, misconduct in office and involuntary manslaughter. The depraved-heart murder charge carried a possible 30-year sentence.

In the trial, prosecutors argued that Goodson, as the van’s driver, intentionally tried to injure Gray as he drove him around Baltimore without a seat belt and gave what they said was a “rough ride.” They also said Goodson was aware that Gray was injured but he failed to provide aid or seek medical care for him.

Goodson’s defense said that Gray had actually injured himself in the back of the van and questioned the prosecution’s timeline of when Gray was injured.

Goodson, a 16-year veteran of the Baltimore Police Department, was the third of six officers to stand trial in Gray’s death. Officer William Porter’s trial ended in a hung jury and Edward Nero was found not guilty.

In preparation for the verdict, city officials put the Maryland National Guard on notice for potential violence. Last April, Baltimore experienced riots the like of which had not been seen in the city in half-a-century after Gray, a black Baltimore resident, died in policy custody a week after his arrest. Protesters set fire to businesses and looted drug stores, leading to the national guard coming in to restore order. More than 200 people were arrested. In May, Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced sweeping criminal charges against six officers involved in Gray’s death, a move celebrated by Baltimore’s minority communities.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, who was criticized for her handling of the riots last year and decided against running for re-election, released a statement saying: “We once again ask the citizens to be patient and to allow the entire process to come to a conclusion.”

Protesters gathered outside the courtroom Thursday, holding signs saying “They killin’ us alive legally” and “Justice 4 Freddie Gray!”

“This is a disappointing verdict,” said DeRay McKesson, a Black Lives Matter activist who ran unsuccessfully for mayor this year, according to the Baltimore Sun. “I look forward to the remaining trials. The verdict today is a reminder that the current laws, policies and practices protect police behavior at all costs.

The next trial, involving Lt. Brian Rice, will begin July 5. Rice, one of the officers who arrested Gray, faces charges including manslaughter and second-degree assault

So, just to be clear, is Marilyn Mosby still a brave hero seeking justice, or is she now officially disowned?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, just to be clear, is Marilyn Mosby still a brave hero seeking justice, or is she now officially disowned?

good question, im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    good question, im not sure.
    It all moves a little fast for me. Ever since I crossed 30, I can barely keep up with what someone needs to do to remain an official Good Person.

Right now, she should probably concentrate on still having a law license at the end of all this. And she should probably get off this train while there are at least a couple cars still on the tracks.

It all moves a little fast for me. Ever since I crossed 30, I can barely keep up with what someone needs to do to remain an official Good Person.
    Used to be easy to define, now though....its a little less black and white.

I'm pretty sure her credibility is in pretty bad shape after this whole ordeal. The lady rushed to trial with trumped up charges instead of something more reasonable, increasing the officers chances of getting off, and if I remember correctly, the city has already paid Freddie Gray's family $6 million (despite no convictions).

Marilyn Mosby talks a big game but obviously isnt a very good lawyer. Or the evidence didnt support any wrong doing.

Cant wait for the crying and nashing teeth about IR (institutionalized racism.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Was anyone under the illusion that justice would be found here? I don't really think so.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We don't know yet.

Just give Baltimore's government some space.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    We don't know yet.

Just give Baltimore's government some space.
    a safe space???

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    a safe space???
    It was shit post/reference to a political meme that started during the riots.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Didn't they release the transcripts?

A man was proven not guilty and thus innocent...

This is how the courts should work... why do so many people desire a return to witch hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    this is good news

criminals should not enjoy the same rights as a law abiding citizens they make a choice to give up their rights when they commit crimes
    Freddie Gray was arrested, but never tried or convicted, for carrying an illegal switchblade. In Baltimore, that is a crime punishable by a fine of up to $500, or up to 1 year imprisonment... in other words, a misdemeanor.

So to be very clear about what you acutally said here, you believe that the police should be able to kill people who they've arrested for misdemanor or felony offenses, regardless of evidence or conviction... and furthermore, that once you've been arrested, you are now considered a criminal, regardless of what anything as trivial as evidence or a court might have to say on the matter.

Forgive me if I'm not as quick as you to be wishing that our police officers had the same level of authority as Judge Dredd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlance View Post
    Didn't they release the transcripts?

A man was proven not guilty and thus innocent...

This is how the courts should work... why do so many people desire a return to witch hunts?
    *shrug* if witch hunts made sense or were based on reason, they wouldn't have the negative rep they do, would they? :-P

I am glad to see the verdict came back "Not Guilty", though I still worry about what's going to happen to the city once the trials are complete.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Freddie Gray was arrested, but never tried or convicted, for carrying an illegal switchblade. In Baltimore, that is a crime punishable by a fine of up to $500, or up to 1 year imprisonment... in other words, a misdemeanor.

So to be very clear about what you acutally said here, you believe that the police should be able to kill people who they've arrested for misdemanor or felony offenses, regardless of evidence or conviction... and furthermore, that once you've been arrested, you are now considered a criminal, regardless of what anything as trivial as evidence or a court might have to say on the matter.

Forgive me if I'm not as quick as you to be wishing that our police officers had the same level of authority as Judge Dredd.
    Gray had a pretty lengthy criminal record: burglary, drug possession and distributing, assault, destruction of property. Not surprised that a drug dealer ended up dead, nor mourn the loss of a guy that contributed to destroying the lives of others.

Justice 4 Freddy! Yeah, martyr a guy that helped make their community a shithole by selling drugs.
    Last edited by Alixie; 2016-06-24 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

*shrug* if witch hunts made sense or were based on reason, they wouldn't have the negative rep they do, would they? :-P

I am glad to see the verdict came back "Not Guilty", though I still worry about what's going to happen to the city once the trials are complete.
    Did you have any actual evidence that the cops actually killed the guy. From the judges comments when rendering his verdict, none was actually presented in court.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...23-column.html

And now in another 6 months or so, there'll be another case of Baltimore PD paralyzing or killing another person by giving them a nickel ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    And now in another 6 months or so, there'll be another case of Baltimore PD paralyzing or killing another person by giving them a nickel ride.
    If the biggest problem Baltimore had was the occasional dickhead cop being too rough with gangbangers, it'd be a hell of a lot different place than it is. The laser-focus on something that doesn't rank anywhere near the top of the list is probably not a great approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Before you predict another, you should show us the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Before you predict another, you should show us the first one.
    There have been several.