Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Server Hop - Why is nobody furious about this?

So I recently got back into levelling an alt, and I was hitting up Tanaan dailies.

Went to get a group for the areas, and was instantly spammed by literally hundreds of people joining and leaving every second. Confused, I asked about, and realized it's due to the "server hop" addon, that automatically joins you to groups to try and find rares. There is no filter (or not one that people use).

This has rendered group questing almost entirely impossible.

How have people not gone nuts about this, as it completely ruins the group process?

I asked the author about it, and they said "that sucks. hopefully I'll have something to filter out people who don't have it by Legion. maybe"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I think that most people just don't care because the questing is that bad and generally irrelevant by now. This isn't an overnight change, we've been working towards this state for half a decade. Depression rather than rage, i guess.

People will play in the most optimal way and if the most optimal way looks anything like this then it won't be fun for anybody

1) Set your group to not auto-accept.
    2) Do not put the word 'hop' anywhere in your title. (Including No Hop).
    3) Suffer through. Blizzard has a broken system and people are just using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    1) Set your group to not auto-accept.
    This doesn't really help, because they still apply.. I have no idea if its a server hop person or an actual person.
    2) Do not put the word 'hop' anywhere in your title. (Including No Hop).
    Doesn't matter what you put in. They join any group with anything written in it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

not alot you can do about server hoppers

Bottom line is mounts like voidtalon basically makes server hopping mandatory if you want any hope of getting it plus other rares that spawn at different times on differernt servers.

If you want to group quest without server hoppers then i would just try to spam general chat and just see how it goes cause server hoppers aint going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This doesn't really help, because they still apply.. I have no idea if its a server hop person or an actual person.
    No they don't still apply. Maybe one in 20 people applying when it isn't auto-accept is a Hopper. You have to set that particular setting on your own and it pisses people off way more than you can imagine, despite your current state of being "furious." I am never swamped by people still joining despite auto-accept being off. I have had 1 person out of the 30 5 Mans (and 2 20s Mans) I have made in the last 2 weeks be a hopper. Thats it. One. It isn't feasible or in someones interest to join a non-auto accept group as a farmer.
    Doesn't matter what you put in. They join any group with anything written in it.
    While this one is certainly true most decent gold farmer and hoppers have the addon setup to only join groups with Hop or some related term in the title. There is no way to stop them without turning off auto-accept.

Deleted
    Hopefully a debuff will be added in Legion to prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Hopefully a debuff will be added in Legion to prevent this.
    "Oh look a group for Mythic Garrosh"
    "Oh sorry its actually normal I am just a fucking idiot and can't input the correct difficulty"
    "Oh neat I left and got a debuff so now I can't find the group for Mythic Garrosh that I queued for in the first place!"

And even if the author were to add that in, there would be people unhappy with the reduced pool and that would likely result in an edit which ignored that.
    Requires some sort of fix from blizzard's side, or manual invites after talking to people which will at least slow it down.

I think the only reason that there isn't some large backlash, is the people utilising it.
    Much like gearscore.
    Players gravitate towards the easiest route, regardless of the consequences.
    And there is always some justification for it, anything but admitting that they want to do something with less effort.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-06-24 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well the only reason I don't hate it and actually use it in certain situations is because finding certain rares on your own vastly populated realm that's also connected to some other big realms is pretty much impossible. Trying to get a rare hunter pet without hopping is a lot harder then it used to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    "Oh look a group for Mythic Garrosh"
    "Oh sorry its actually normal I am just a fucking idiot and can't input the correct difficulty"
    "Oh neat I left and got a debuff so now I can't find the group for Mythic Garrosh that I queued for in the first place!"
    Wait 5 minutes and you can requeue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was server hopping before the addon, I don't seen any problem with it (I abhor group questing). Bigger question in my mind is why you have auto-accept enabled if you don't want people randomly joining. Cross server instancing is what I consider a real problem, collecting rare mounts is such a ridiculous shit-show in previous expansion zones thanks to it.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-06-24 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

making server phase activate only if your in proximity with the other players in the group would solve alot of the unwanted "server hop" addon functionality.

People camping one particuler rare and looks for that on the LFG tool im realy fine with..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal Bob View Post
    Well the only reason I don't hate it and actually use it in certain situations is because finding certain rares on your own vastly populated realm that's also connected to some other big realms is pretty much impossible. Trying to get a rare hunter pet without hopping is a lot harder then it used to be.
    Also, the large respawn timers on some world bosses (Galleon, Oondasta) are a pain. Nalak and Sha are at 15 minutes, why not the other two?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only people you can blame are the ones responsible for CRZ. Shoveling 20 different servers into one instance of a zone just to try and make it feel populated is fucking retarded when there are highly sought after rares with extremely long respawn times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Wait 5 minutes and you can requeue.
    What you just suggested is the most easily abused system Blizzard could implement, easier than kicking randoms in LFG. Its a bad suggestion with more cons than pros. It won't fix anyone's problems in the long run and will just make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Only people you can blame are the ones responsible for CRZ. Shoveling 20 different servers into one instance of a zone just to try and make it feel populated is fucking retarded when there are highly sought after rares with extremely long respawn times.
    Without CRZ your game would be dead as fuck. So its a double edged sword.

inb4 "I like it ded in my mmorpg!"

Deleted
    TBH I don't even get, why it isn't just restricted to the area of the Group Leader. It's just weird to me. This would pretty much fix this issue.

All you need to do is ad "W me for inv" in desc. Dat's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    No they don't still apply. Maybe one in 20 people applying when it isn't auto-accept is a Hopper.
    I just tried this and you're 100% wrong. In 20 seconds I had 6 applications. They cancel after a few moments but it still spams and forces me to monitor it constantly instead of .. actually playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Bigger question in my mind is why you have auto-accept enabled if you don't want people randomly joining.
    Because auto-accept never meant 'random people who aren't interested in what you're doing'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danuel View Post
    All you need to do is ad "W me for inv" in desc. Dat's all.
    No, 'dats' not all.. If its not auto, I have to monitor it. If its auto with that desc, people still join.

Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    TBH I don't even get, why it isn't just restricted to the area of the Group Leader. It's just weird to me. This would pretty much fix this issue.
    This is a great fucking idea. This is actually the best one I have seen as a fix. Really no downsides. It gets the lazy ones to do shit to get into groups. It prevents the issue from happening in almost all instances (a few exceptions obviously.)

You should get a job at Blizz

- - - Updated - - -

I just tried this and you're 100% wrong. In 20 seconds I had 6 applications. They cancel after a few moments but it still spams and forces me to monitor it constantly instead of .. actually playing the game.
    If they cancel after a few they aren't hoppers. Hoppers stay in queues for, on average, 10 to 15 seconds.

Edit: Just for good measure I just tried it in Custom Groups. WITH REALM HOP IN THE TITLE and I got no one in a 2 Minute Period. No one. Not a single person. Proudmoore US btw.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2016-06-24 at 09:52 AM.