Page 94 of 138 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    But look at how much more was spent on marketing. 160M is quite a lot to recover but when you tack on anouther 100M in marketing things start taking on a very different situation when it comes to breaking even and really, you think the movie industry is in this business to break even? No they are not. They expect big profits.

Small movies like RE have lower budgets all around including marketing. I've posted it in another thread but if you take the age old forumla of when a movie might break even. (that being budget and marketing added together than doubled) RE might have only needed 80M or so. Making 20+million was pretty nice for Sony on a low budget film.

Warcraft being 160M + 100M =260M might need roughly 500M to break even give or take 10% maybe and breaking even wont be enough. They have to make some profit or the ROI wont be enough to convince most to reinvest. (Unless it's mainly done as a China.)

Warcraft is doing alright but it's no where in the clear yet and you cannot go simply off the 160M figure. They spent a shit ton of money and those people want a return.
    Do you know how much Warcraft and RE spent on advertising though? We're just speculating here.

I'm not denying that it was a big outlay for a movie, especially compared to a piece of shit made on a shoestring like the RE film. Still, the ratio of gross to budget isn't bad. That may not be the perfect metric but it's what we have.

- - - Updated - - -

The key words there are bolded.

IT was enjoyable - "for you".

Not so much for others. You being in agreement or even understanding the negative reviews means little. Just know they happened and thats how they feel about the movie.

For myself, It's an average fantasy movie with many flaws, some "B" rate acting and not enough redeeming qualities (orcs and some action scenes) to offset the bad (the bulk of the rest of the film). It's easily skipped in my eyes.
    I don't know what you're trying to say here. Reviews also mean little. Frankly I think a lot of the reviews of this film were really poor.

Quality of a movie is all subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    Activision-Blizzard is a Fortune 500 company with the resources to do whatever they like, and the Warcraft film was merely the first installment in their attempts at transitioning their IPs onto a new platform. In short, we'll get a sequel just from the Chinese success alone, and it's highly likely that we'll get another IP on film at a later date (my money would be on StarCraft since Sci-Fi is an easy sell). Regardless, with the launch of their own studio, it'll become easier and easier for the company to go into production without the aid of the degenerates in Hollywood.
    I'm pretty sure they just sold the rights to Legendary, so the success or failure of it is all on them anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glycerethe View Post
    It's not a flop and it's not a thumbs up either, I'll tell yall what it is:

Meh.
    pretty accurate review, i think you should work for the L.A. times.

it was very meh, with a side of gleh.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Do you know how much Warcraft and RE spent on advertising though? We're just speculating here.

I'm not denying that it was a big outlay for a movie, especially compared to a piece of shit made on a shoestring like the RE film. Still, the ratio of gross to budget isn't bad. That may not be the perfect metric but it's what we have.
    It was mentioned to be roughly 100M along with the 160M budget. Thats a hefty sum to recoup. Like I said, even if you use the age old formula of those two figures together and then doubled to break even. Warcraft isn't there yet. 500M seems more liklely a more correct figure than 400 or 450.

5I don't know what you're trying to say here. Reviews also mean little. Frankly I think a lot of the reviews of this film were really poor.

Quality of a movie is all subjective.
    I'm saying and giving reason why you should understand the negative reviews.

It is subjective and thats why you should understand the negative reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's successful enough that no amount of negative reviews will stop it from getting a sequel. personally i couldn't care less if some idiot critic for rotten tomatoes doesn't like a movie that i think is awesome. they always hate on the best movies anyways.

I suspect this movie will eventually become one of those cult classics you either love or hate.

It was mentioned to be roughly 100M along with the 160M budget. Thats a hefty sum to recoup. Like I said, even if you use the age old formula of those two figures together and then doubled to break even. Warcraft isn't there yet. 500M seems more liklely a more correct figure than 400 or 450.
    Where's that $100m from? If you're going to make that comparison, you'd need to look at RE's marketing budget too. I can't find that information anywhere.

I'd be surprised if the studio honestly expected to gross $500m. That's more than the LEGO movie.

There'll probably also be a fair bit of merchandise (not sure what Blizzard's arrangements there were) and of course the secondary market as well. I don't think the movie's going to be in financial trouble, poor US box office or not.

I'm not saying they didn't put a lot of money in it for a video game movie, they did. Took quite a risk. But I don't think it's exactly blown up in their faces.

I suspect this movie will eventually become one of those cult classics you either love or hate.
    Ha-ha-ha.

As a movie, it will just be forgotten as a complete non-event. The only thing anyone will ever remember about it is that it was made by Blizzard and that it was not successful.

Indeed. It is not even bad enough to be re-watched for laughs like Dungeons & Dragons or Independence Day. At least those took itself with an irony.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Ha-ha-ha.

As a movie, it will just be forgotten as a complete non-event. The only thing anyone will ever remember about it is that it was made by Blizzard and that it was not successful.
    Actually: Warcraft just passed to first position in MOST SUCCESSFULL movie based on a game EVER, and this just 3 weeks after release.

It beats out Prince of Persia and the movie grossing 380 million dollars worldwide already... It needs to launch in another series of countries still.

There is a HUGE difference between what some US critics (and the usual hate trolls) think that a movie should look like and what Warcraft showed, but that doesn't mean the movie was not a HUGE success in the rest of the world.

I am glad we will get a Warcraft 2 movie and see the stories unfold.

Btw: the extended DVd version will easely bring in another 100 million dollars from the fans, so it will surely pass the 500 million dollars revenue streams.

I am pretty sure its total will be well over 600 million dollars if everything will be counted after 6 months.

----

Frankly I don't see a single reason why I should not get the extended DVD version asap. I think many more millions of Warcraft fans will do the exact same. So by the end of this year, Warcraft the movie is a cult movie for millions of fans already

No matter what the usual suspects and hate trolls say in our forums .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    If you look at the west as a whole using Europe and America it did flop, it only did well in Asia. Maybe it did do well in some isolated European markets (certainly not here in the UK) but it flopped hard you look at Europe as a whole in terms of how much cash it brought in.
    So wrong.

It made 382 million dollars already, 200 million came from China, that's 55%.

the US is not the equivalent of the West. In Germany it made number one in 3 consecutive weeks.

Take your Brexit and stuff it where I think it should belong really. Europe is not only the UK either.

The movie simply was not in accordance of what some Western Hollywood critics wanted it to be: a shiny White Knight Armor fairy tale killing mindless Beasts/Orcs and get a happy ending where the "good" prevails.

Instead these critics got a very fast action movie where the "beast" is a hero battling the Forces within and where several heroes die... with the actual bad conquering even more minds ...

---------------/----------/

I am sorry if you think that Lotr is the ultimate for this bland almost racist story telling. Warcraft is actually the first decent Fantasy movie on that subject that goes beyond the White Knights vs the bad beasts.

I guess this kind of action story was too complicated for the intellect of most US critics or may we say the Trump generation that follows these mass media and take for granted what these preachers write/tell... ?

Glad to live in Belgium (not the city .... LOL).
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-24 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    bland almost racist story telling.
    And casting a half-Black actress for a human/Orc hybrid is somehow not racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    I HOPED you would make that remark. It shows how silly and sickening the haters want to go out to trash talk ANYTHING.

The fact that many Orcs are green and a half human half Orc is supposed to be ... green is logical.

The fact that this role was played by a colored person and you want to use that as an argument shows how SILLY these "critics" really are. (and unbelievable but true... this was exactly written by one of these diotic critics... how much more proof do you want of their idiocy really).

Thank you for your racist remark btw. It proves the unfounded hate once again ...

The Lord of the Rings movie is a pure dull White Knight racist movie where the stereotype Good wins over the beasts and Bad. If that is your idea of the ultimate best Fantasy movie ever, I am quite glad Warcraft showed the exact opposite.

Warcraft the movie breached frontiers on this. Apparently US critics are not intelligent enough or simply too lazy to understand what was told...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-24 at 10:29 AM.

It is OK for a half-Orc to be green. It is slightly not OK to use a real-life Black race to add Orcish physique to the character.

As two other reviewers duly noted, the fact that for the first 30 minutes said character is dragged around on the leash in her underwear makes the situation even more hilarious.

The movie also does not explain the difference between normal and green Orcs at all, so the audience is going to consider them different races, with the inferior Green race being a cannon fodder, and superior Brown being commanders.

Personally, I don't care much about racism in movies at all, but Warcraft didn't handle the topic in a particularly graceful way.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is OK for a half-Orc to be green. It is slightly not OK to use a real-life Black race to add Orcish physique to the character.

As two other reviewers duly noted, the fact that for the first 30 minutes said character is dragged around on the leash in her underwear makes the situation even more hilarious.

The movie also does not explain the difference between normal and green Orcs at all, so the audience is going to consider them different races, with the inferior Green race being a cannon fodder, and superior Brown being commanders.

Personally, I don't care much about racism in movies at all, but Warcraft didn't handle the topic in a particularly graceful way.
    It's how it happened in a story that was created 15-20 years ago... why change stuff...

The movie shows Gul'dan turning brown orcs green with fel magic in multiple scenes. The earliest instance is baby Thrall. It happens to Blackhand in another scene and a squad of regular orcs in yet another scene. If it hasn't been hammered into the viewer's head by that point (along with the green = fel color coding, which it isn't exactly subtle about), that viewer has a below average comprehension level and should be watching something for a younger demographic.

Ha-ha-ha.

Only it is successful, just not in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Headscratch?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    It's how it happened in a story that was created 15-20 years ago... why change stuff...
    Well actually they were all green in Warcraft 1. The green/brown thing didn't happen until the Warcraft 3 retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    The movie shows Gul'dan turning brown orcs green with fel magic in multiple scenes. The earliest instance is baby Thrall. It happens to Blackhand in another scene and a squad of regular orcs in yet another scene. it does not
    You are retrofitting the problem for the solution.
    There is nothing there to equate one baby of indistinct color with dozens of adult green men.
    There is nothing there to equate Blackhand, getting sick and disfigured from the infusion, and healthy-looking others.
    There is nothing to come to that conclusion if you don't know the story beforehand.

If you are talking about making money, it will certainly not make much, if it will even make any at all (it didn't pay for itself yet).

And, just in case, if you are looking at those Chinese numbers, they might be a fraud.

Oh, it bombed in some other places too. In the UK, the box office was down 80% (!) in the second weekend. In India, the number of screens showing it dropped 95% on the second weekend. And even in the markets where it did "well", the BO was typically down 50+% week-on-week.

I think it's going to break $400M globally (assuming we believe those China numbers are real), but I think it's going to struggle to hit $450M, and $500M is unlikely.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Indeed. It is not even bad enough to be re-watched for laughs like Dungeons & Dragons or Independence Day. At least those took itself with an irony.
    Like I said, love it or hate it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are talking about making money, it will certainly not make much, if it will even make any at all (it didn't pay for itself yet).

And, just in case, if you are looking at those Chinese numbers, they might be a fraud.
    Speculative. I still haven't seen a source on that marketing budget, and even if it is $100m, that's a total of $260m.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Oh, it bombed in some other places too. In the UK, the box office was down 80% (!) in the second weekend. In India, the number of screens showing it dropped 95% on the second weekend. And even in the markets where it did "well", the BO was typically down 50+% week-on-week.

I think it's going to break $400M globally (assuming we believe those China numbers are real), but I think it's going to struggle to hit $450M, and $500M is unlikely.
    I do find the term "bombed" a little hard to swallow given it's the highest grossing video game movie ever made.

I expect it to just be forgotten. It simply wasn't good enough. Warcraft didn't have anything catchy or interesting like Blade Runner or funny like Army of Darkness.

Warcraft was just to average. Filled with way to much mediocrity and not enough eye catching moments.

Where's that $100m from?
    It came from the large thread in Cinema / TV Shows / Music / Books - [Movie] Warcraft (June 2016)
    It's been discussed quite a bit.

If you're going to make that comparison, you'd need to look at RE's marketing budget too. I can't find that information anywhere.
    Thats fine too and I can't find it either but even with a 35M budget, you can bet they didn't spend much on A&P. In the end, you know it made a tidy profit or it wouldn't have been worth it to continue the series.

I'd be surprised if the studio honestly expected to gross $500m. That's more than the LEGO movie.
    I disagree. I think they thought they have a real winner on their hands all around. You don't spend 160M and not think that. You don't spend that much in marketing and not think that. Problem is the movie just wasn't that good and once fans watched it, seems few others did.

There'll probably also be a fair bit of merchandise (not sure what Blizzard's arrangements there were) and of course the secondary market as well. I don't think the movie's going to be in financial trouble, poor US box office or not.

I'm not saying they didn't put a lot of money in it for a video game movie, they did. Took quite a risk. But I don't think it's exactly blown up in their faces.
    At the moment I think it already is in trouble when it comes to breaking even and the possibility of a sequel. There not in the business to break even and keep turning out break even movies. Merchandising and DVD sales is also a funny game to play but can still pull in a profit. Will it be enough to make it worth while? I'm not so sure ATM.

You are retrofitting the problem for the solution.
    There is nothing there to equate one baby of indistinct color with dozens of adult green men.
    There is nothing there to equate Blackhand, getting sick and disfigured from the infusion, and healthy-looking others.
    There is nothing to come to that conclusion if you don't know the story beforehand.
    I saw this movie with my brother. His full experience with the Warcraft universe consisted of getting a gnome Mage to level 50 in Vanilla. He didn't even know orcs came in brown. He figured this stuff out right away.

What this is is a case of Show, Don't Tell. If you Tell and Show, you're assuming the audience is made up of morons. Which it may very well be. But somebody who needs the audio book version of this very unsubtle story to figure out brown orcs and green orcs are not different races, has no business being in the reviewing business.