View Poll Results: Will the UK break up in the near future?

Voters
230. This poll is closed
  • Yes

151 65.65%
  • No

79 34.35%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    It's almost sad to see how the Queen has seen her empire decline so greatly.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Please tell me this is sarcasm
    It's copypasta.

The English one-upping the Scottish and the Ires again.
    There's no reason to stay in the UK if it isn't part of the EU.

Scotland will have another independence referendum, and this time it will pass.

Northern Ireland also voted strongly in favour of remain. While them leaving the UK is not as likely as Scotland, they are quite likely to start pondering it. An Irish referendum may not be far off, though independence would be devastating for them.

Wales voted 52.5% leave. Not much chance of them wanting to leave the UK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

Northern Ireland also voted strongly in favour of remain. While them leaving the UK is not as likely as Scotland, they are quite likely to start pondering it. An Irish referendum may not be far off, though independence would be devastating for them.

Scotland will keep bleating about that regardless

Deleted

Scots will have another vote and likely leave, though im not sure they can financially afford it. NI will never leave as they 100%cannot support themselves financially.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Though Scotland really need to consider carefully, that if they leave the UK to join the EU, they are swapping 1 government for another whilst still not "in control" themselves, and will have to use the Euro.
    They do need to make sure that they are not dragged down a bad path themselves as a vote to leave UK would be a vote to join the EU in the eyes of the SNP.

Give it a few months to settle and then we will see where we are. until then its all a guessing game

Seems possible, yes. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Verbatim; 2016-06-24 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    I love this response, really. You know, it's not a good thing to use it because it is a tool of both sides, making it a very weak rhetorical weapon.
    That only gets pointed out and used when...the other side doesn't like the results.

You should get rid of voting,representation etc. Seems it didn't go your way....getting rid of elections,opposing views and such will make sure you get "your way" next time.
    Seems a few of places are trying to do just that now days.
    Democracy sucks doesn't it?

*Sorry for all the sarcasm, however I believe the UK will recover/be just fine given history,global economy, etc.*

Deleted
    Probably not if the EU don't garauntee them spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    NI will never leave as they 100%cannot support themselves financially
    There's already talk of reunification with the rest of Ireland.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    tho I must admit that UK left so fast when things got hard, kinda makes you wander how trusty they are in general, a friend is beside you in good and hard times ... oh well
    The French call us "perfidious Albion" for a reason .

More seriously, every nation should look first to its own long-term interests, and I believe (as a Brexiteer) that the UK did just that in voting to leave the EU. Sometimes though that will mean abandoning allies, but that's ultimately a sad part of realpolitik.

"I say that it is a narrow policy to suppose that this country or that is to be marked out as the eternal ally or the perpetual enemy of England. We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow... And if I might be allowed to express in one sentence the principle which I think ought to guide an English Minister, I would adopt the expression of Canning, and say that with every British Minister the interests of England ought to be the shibboleth of his policy."
    -Palmerston

= + =

Not sure TBH. Alex Salmond said "that's it for this generation" (paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it) after the results were announced, so Westminster has every right to say no to a request for another referendum.

Mind you, I'm sure lots in the Tory party (and elsewhere) would like to be rid of Scotland: no Scotland = permanent Tory majority in Westminster. So long as Scotland's around, there's at least a chance of a left-wing government forming.

I imagine that Northern Ireland would vote to (a) leave the UK and (b) merge with the Republic of Ireland. This would help them bypass the usual EU entry requirements (unless there's an EU law or w/e that would stop the RoI gobbling up NI...?). Scotland would have to re-apply though.

= + =

Scots will have another vote and likely leave, though im not sure they can financially afford it. NI will never leave as they 100%cannot support themselves financially.
    I don't think either Scotland or NI can as independent states, but NI at least has another route open to it (above).

It will be interesting to see what happens. Though Scotland really need to consider carefully, that if they leave the UK to join the EU, they are swapping 1 government for another whilst still not "in control" themselves, and will have to use the Euro.
    In fairness, I think a lot of the motivation behind the SNP is not "independence" so much as "Anglomisia" - ie hatred of England.

Give it a few months to settle and then we will see where we are. until then its all a guessing game
    Indeed. Sturgeon won't get another referendum any time soon - not when the PM is resigning, so realistically she's going to have to wait to lobby Boris Johnson when he enters Number 10.

= + =

Quote Originally Posted by Szekely View Post
    Probably not if the EU don't garauntee them spots.
    The EU can't guarantee them spots. Under EU law, there's a big old process new countries must go through to join the EU. Scotland would be counted as one, because it is only a member because the UK is a member as well. If the UK leaves, Scotland goes. If Scotland leaves the UK, it's a new, sovereign state and must apply on its own. Spain might also veto them joining, because it wants to set a precedent for Catalonia ("if you leave Spain, no EU membership for you, mwahaha!").

10+ Year Old Account
    It will, Scotland completely wanted to stay so they will get another referendum and leave. I do think its ironic they want to leave the UK but not the EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Deleted
    Following the Brexit that is now a reality, I want to ask my fellow forumers about their predictions on the future of the UK. People of both Northern Ireland and Scotland have been forced to leave the European Union, and it is expected that in the foreseeable future they will both hold independence referendums.

I am very much for breaking up this dysfunctional union that is the UK, and I am confident that my fellow Europeans too wish to see the Scottish and Northern Irish people be part of our path toward unity and prosperity. I am also confident that independence referendums will take place, and the UK will cease to be as it is. In the end, England will take a loss much greater than any other entity involved beginning in their EU referendum and ending in the independence referendum of the last country to leave their union in the near future.
    There's a irony at work here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope so.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    In fairness, the UK has demonstrably worked for a few hundred years now, in both good times and very, very bad times.

The EU - even if only due to its relative youth - cannot make any such claims.

Deleted
    Nope. The UK is the EU in its worst form.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    The English one-upping the Scottish and the Ires again.
    There's no reason to stay in the UK if it isn't part of the EU.
    Yeah, now the independents voters have a much stronger standpoint.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really hope that more countries will follow, and we will see the end of EU.

EU might be good for some countries, but for Denmark it's nothing but a burden.

Deleted
    Nope. The UK is the EU in its worst form.
    So do you agree or disagree? I'm not sure what you mean. But time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    I really hope that more countries will follow, and we will see the end of EU.

EU might be good for some countries, but for Denmark it's nothing but a burden.
    And the other world powers like the US, Russia and China will be free to pick at the bones of the union without anyone in it being able to put up a resistance.

15+ Year Old Account
    So do you agree or disagree? I'm not sure what you mean. But time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

And the other world powers like the US, Russia and China will be free to pick at the bones of the union without anyone in it being able to put up a resistance.
    Well, EU can really go to hell for all that I care. In Denmark we can't make our own laws or anything, because everything has to be decided from Bruxelles. Even if our dear politicians tries to do something, they need the acceptance from Bruxelles.