Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Y'all got anymore more of that low cost housing?

A relative of mine pays $560 a month for a ~3,000 sq. ft. house in West Virginia. I'm paying $1750 for a town house rental...
    I pay $1400 for a 3 bedroom apartment.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as food stamps and bad diets go...

Here in Maine only disabled adults or struggling families with children are allowed food stamps. Able bodied adults are not given them. A lot of people don't understand that with small kids and jobs come less time to cook properly. This is no excuse for soda or candy per say but small children tend to eat only a few favored things at certain ages. For my kids it was chicken nuggets at age 2-5, they just wouldn't eat anything else! It was a fight to introduce new and healthy foods. But they come out of it as they get older. And maybe there are ways to do things better, but no one has a right to tell you how to raise or feed your family. (Even if you are poor and need help.) Most good parents strive for the best they can do for their children's nutrition. I highly doubt Maine's population is just allowing their kids to live off soda and candy... bet the diet issue is more with fast food and carbs.

Anyways, I'm ok with Soda and candy being banned, but it only opens the door for the government to think it has the right to stick it's nose in other places in your lives. And for that alone I would say No.

- - - Updated - - -

Y'all got anymore more of that low cost housing?

A relative of mine pays $560 a month for a ~3,000 sq. ft. house in West Virginia. I'm paying $1750 for a town house rental...
    Housing is cheap here by most standards, but of course the average paying jobs are all around $8-$9 per hr too. You can rent a 2 br apartment for around $600-700 a month with light not included. 3 bedroom houses are around $900-$1200 with no utilities included. Most apartments do include heat. Being Maine landlords don't allow their tenants a choice to heat the place because most won't or can't afford it and that would cause the water pipes to burst in the winter months.
    Last edited by Laraven; 2016-06-24 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I pay $1400 for a 3 bedroom apartment.
    My townhouse is three bedrooms, but has a garage. And I live in a cheap area. If I wanted to live near where I work, I'd be paying $2500-3000 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

I too do not have extravagant needs. I don't want to own a boat, or any of that nonsense. Though I would love to be able to go on a real vacation at some point in my life. I would love to get on a plane (35, never been on a plane). I've never been to Disney, would love to see that place.

There are experiences I want to have in my life that I currently cannot afford. It would be nice to have some of my financial burden loosened up a bit so I can be more of an active consumer.
    Stop living in new Jersey. It's so expensive you don't get to have those experiences.

I grew up with a single mom and we were by no means rich (dad payed no child support). But she always made sure I had rich experiences.

Now that I'm an adult I've had less time for vacations etc, but I still was able to go to new York last year for a video game competition. And this year I went for a week to Louisiana for a group that provides local and world wide relief. So I helped build a wheelchair ramp for a woman so she could get to dialysis.

I know you play in a band but I'm really surprised you haven't lived as much as I would expect fir 35
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Stop living in new Jersey. It's so expensive you don't get to have those experiences.

I grew up with a single mom and we were by no means rich (dad payed no child support). But she always made sure I had rich experiences.

Now that I'm an adult I've had less time for vacations etc, but I still was able to go to new York last year for a video game competition. And this year I went for a week to Louisiana for a group that provides local and world wide relief. So I helped build a wheelchair ramp for a woman so she could get to dialysis.

I know you play in a band but I'm really surprised you haven't lived as much as I would expect fir 35
    Housing costs are insane in some parts of the country. Around here, I think if you make minimum wage, or even ~$10-12/hr, you're probably living with 4-5 room mates. Even a one room studio efficient is ~$1000.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account

The problem with leaving NJ, is the costs of moving. I'm having a hard time saving money just to get a new apartment with my g/f.

I'd love to move to another state, but I also fear that if I did, my salary would be reduced to match that of cost of living in another state. And to keep my job, my options are to live in Philly, NJ, NYC, Hammersmith, or Japan. None of these places would be cheaper than where I currently live. I could attempt to work remotely, but it takes an extra special employee to be given that option, and I am not in the top 1% of employees.

So really, I would love to uproot and go, but it would be a drastic life change that I don't believe I am prepared for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you want to live in a free society or one completely ruled by government for peoples daily life?
    If you're getting food stamps, the government already runs your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchi
    Thx America for destroying Europe and world and all mess you cause bcs of your selfishness and only thinking abot yourself and of your interest, creating IS, killing in the name of democracy, etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Andy View Post
    If you're getting food stamps, the government already runs your life.
    How so? /10chars

The problem with leaving NJ, is the costs of moving. I'm having a hard time saving money just to get a new apartment with my g/f.

I'd love to move to another state, but I also fear that if I did, my salary would be reduced to match that of cost of living in another state. And to keep my job, my options are to live in Philly, NJ, NYC, Hammersmith, or Japan. None of these places would be cheaper than where I currently live. I could attempt to work remotely, but it takes an extra special employee to be given that option, and I am not in the top 1% of employees.

So really, I would love to uproot and go, but it would be a drastic life change that I don't believe I am prepared for.
    Don't you make close to 50?

I make almost that much, in a place where my 4bdrm house mortgage is 660 a month before escrow.

I rent the extra bedrooms to my friends and am making money on the house.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you make close to 50?

I make almost that much, in a place where my 4bdrm house mortgage is 660 a month before escrow.

I rent the extra bedrooms to my friends and am making money on the house.
    I do make just under $50,000. But after taxes that is around $33,000.

I have Student Loans, Car Payment, Insurance, Rent, Utilities, Credit Bill, Cell Bill, Internet bill. And then the normal gas, food, and things for around the house.

I'm using about 3/4 my earnings just to pay all of that. I have a few hundred per month to myself, which I am trying to put money away to save to move out.

NJ is expensive, and living in an apartment, is sort of a trap.

I do make just under $50,000. But after taxes that is around $33,000.

I have Student Loans, Car Payment, Insurance, Rent, Utilities, Credit Bill, Cell Bill, Internet bill. And then the normal gas, food, and things for around the house.

I'm using about 3/4 my earnings just to pay all of that. I have a few hundred per month to myself, which I am trying to put money away to save to move out.

NJ is expensive, and living in an apartment, is sort of a trap.
    That is one thing I do like about living in a house even though my cost of living are higher the money I'm paying in is for the most part staying on the asset side of my personal net worth sheet.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    That is one thing I do like about living in a house even though my cost of living are higher the money I'm paying in is for the most part staying on the asset side of my personal net worth sheet.
    Exactly! If I could just up and sell the apartment and move that money over to a new place, it would be great!

I mean, I did pay the security deposit all on my own, so that $2,000 is mine to move into a new place, but I still need about another $1,500 to feel more comfortable at first.

Cigarettes are harmful to yourself and, more importantly, others even from smoking just one. Alcohol is the same in many ways, albeit to a lesser degree. Both substances are also addictive.

Sugar isn't addictive. Eating a candy bar isn't unhealthy, dangerous to others or yourself.

Do you know how much food the government would have to send? Who is paying to ship it? Who is paying to store the perishable foods at safe temperatures? Who is paying to package and box 40 MILLION of boxes of food every single month.

It's a supplemental program. 70% of the recipients are expected to pay for a portion of their own food needs. Is this really that hard to understand?
    Interesting that you are now trying to argue costs rather than the validity of government supporting these unnecessary purchases with government funding. Sounds like you have no argument anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Interesting that you are now trying to argue costs rather than the validity of government supporting these unnecessary purchases with government funding. Sounds like you have no argument anymore.
    Are you drunk?

I've been talking about the costs all along. In fact I've never argued whether the government can or cannot support these purchases.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Cigarettes are harmful to yourself and, more importantly, others even from smoking just one. Alcohol is the same in many ways, albeit to a lesser degree. Both substances are also addictive.

Sugar isn't addictive. Eating a candy bar isn't unhealthy, dangerous to others or yourself.
    https://authoritynutrition.com/how-s...-you-addicted/
    http://www.healthline.com/health/foo...dictive-drug#5
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/health...gar-addiction/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/op...addictive.html

Sugar kinda is and once again it's a program meant to provide sustenance and nutrition for people. That's why it's called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. A candy bar is pretty much sugar and empty calories, if you are confused about this call a nutritionist. You will find more nutrition in unpastuerized beer then a candy bar.

Are you drunk?

I've been talking about the costs all along. In fact I've never argued whether the government can or cannot support these purchases.
    Great rebuttal. Another umad comment.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Perhaps, in your obviously extensive studies on the subject, you have found evidence toward your opinion that invalidates theirs? If so, please, present it to us.
    LOL extensive studies. Ask any schmoe working as a cashier or stocker in a supermarket and they can tell you. Spend 10 minutes yourself watching people cash out or go to a 24 hour store at night and see the ransacked shelves and coolers. Vegetables, fruits, uncooked meats/poultry are pretty much left untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    https://authoritynutrition.com/how-s...-you-addicted/
    http://www.healthline.com/health/foo...dictive-drug#5
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/30/health...gar-addiction/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/op...addictive.html

Sugar kinda is and once again it's a program meant to provide sustenance and nutrition for people. That's why it's called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. A candy bar is pretty much sugar and empty calories, if you are confused about this call a nutritionist. You will find more nutrition in unpastuerized beer then a candy bar.
    Some candy bars have a lot of protein in them. Are they the same as eating a typical "healthy meal" like salad greens and skinless chicken? Obviously not.

However, eating a candy bar isn't going to make you obese. It's not harmful to your body. It's not going to make you addicted to sugar.

Great rebuttal. Another umad comment.
    Thanks for identifying a great rebuttal. I've mentioned the costs in this thread probably 5 or 6 separate times. I've never once argued that the government doesn't have the ability or authority to restrict what foods can be purchased with SNAP.

Some candy bars have a lot of protein in them. Are they the same as eating a typical "healthy meal" like salad greens and skinless chicken? Obviously not.

However, eating a candy bar isn't going to make you obese. It's not harmful to your body. It's not going to make you addicted to sugar.

Thanks for identifying a great rebuttal. I've mentioned the costs in this thread probably 5 or 6 separate times. I've never once argued that the government doesn't have the ability or authority to restrict what foods can be purchased with SNAP.
    You have several times stated our disdain towards poor people for not allowing them to do whatever the fuck they want.

You have several times stated our disdain towards poor people for not allowing them to do whatever the fuck they want.
    You still don't understand what the word disdain means? Should I link you the definition again?

It's not about letting them do whatever they want. It's about how you don't want them eating candy because it's government dollars. You don't give a crap if they buy a candy bar with their own money, which proves it's about disdain and not about nutrition.