Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    He is somewhat right. You can't simply change the socket because the wires running through your wall atm are 2 for the socket and not 3. So the grounding cable is missing. He would have to throw a new one from the switchboard through the walls going to your wall socket. How far is the switchboard from your room? I mean if its close its not hard, it will depend how the cable run through it and the tubes not damaged.
    Its right next to it (on the other side of the wall), but its not something I feel comfortable doing myself and do not have the funds to hire someone to do nor really know someone with that kind of expertise. Not sure what to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the cable isn't there than yeah however Dutch houses have been all equipped with grounded sockets for 40 years so unless you're living in a house older than that you have the cable behind it, just not connected.

If not... well you're fucked and you have to ask them to ground it.

Last I checked all renting stipulations enforced grounded sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    If the cable isn't there than yeah however Dutch houses have been all equipped with grounded sockets for 40 years so unless you're living in a house older than that you have the cable behind it, just not connected.

If not... well you're fucked and you have to ask them to ground it.

Last I checked all renting stipulations enforced grounded sockets.
    The building got made in the year 1983 (its a flat), so according to you it should be possible to replace the socket in my room (the one on the left and exchange it for the one on the right) as the cable should be there just not connect as the current socket does not support it? And if so that should solve my issues?

I tested my PC in the kitchen connected to the grounded socket there that is used for the refrigerator and the entire problem was resolved, no shocks no nothing. The only grounded socket in my entire appartment I might add..
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-24 at 04:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    The building got made in the year 1983 (its a flat), so according to you it should be possible to replace the socket in my room (the one on the left and exchange it for the one on the right) as the cable should be there just not connect as the current socket does not support it? And if so that should solve my issues?

I tested my PC in the kitchen connected to the grounded socket there that is used for the refrigerator and the entire problem was resolved, no shocks no nothing.
    It SHOULD be yes, it takes 5 minutes to check.

Simply turn off the power, remove the socket, look if there's a cable that isn't attached and most of the time it's Green/Yellow coloured.
    Then you can replace the socket and done, if not a new cable needs to be laid.

But as I said.. check your rental stipulations because as far as I know it should be mandatory to be grounded now.

It SHOULD be yes, it takes 5 minutes to check.

Simply turn off the power, remove the socket, look if there's a cable that isn't attached and most of the time it's Green/Yellow coloured.
    Then you can replace the socket and done, if not a new cable needs to be laid.

But as I said.. check your rental stipulations because as far as I know it should be mandatory to be grounded now.
    Could I find that online somewhere or just in the paperwork?

Edit: the rental stipulations that is.

Edit: 2 Quickly flipped off the mainpower and gently unscrewed the socket, only see a blackbrownish one and a blue one which are connected to the socket, no lose cable from what I can tell.

Edit 3: Looked around online a bit, seems that its not mandatory except for the kitchen and bathroom, anything else is my own obligation as I am the one creating a dangerous situation by using my pc and they are not responsible to suit my needs for wanting to own a computer. This is fucking retarded? The laws apply of when we started renting the building and only if someone new moved in would they be forced to "fix" it.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-24 at 05:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Could I find that online somewhere or just in the paperwork?

Edit: the rental stipulations that is.

Edit: 2 Quickly flipped off the mainpower and gently unscrewed the socket, only see a blackbrownish one and a blue one which are connected to the socket, no lose cable from what I can tell.
    I just actually looked it up and found out the following:

Grounding is mandatory only in the kitchen and bathroom, the rest of the house does not need to be grounded but is recommended to be.
    You will however have to pay for this yourself as it is not required for your landlord to arrange this.

It is however a functional upgrade so he cannot take away your deposit, the most he can ask you to do is to reverse what you've done.
    Though that is highly doubtful that he will and if he does he's a fucking idiot.

If you don't have a green/yellow cable it means you have no grounding cable and are SoL (Shit-outta-Luck).
    Honestly ... you should have this done as it shouldn't be too much effort but it will cost you, I cannot give you estimates at all.

Preventing yourself being the ground for this is kinda better for your health and the health of your equipment.

I just actually looked it up and found out the following:

Grounding is mandatory only in the kitchen and bathroom, the rest of the house does not need to be grounded but is recommended to be.
    You will however have to pay for this yourself as it is not required for your landlord to arrange this.

It is however a functional upgrade so he cannot take away your deposit, the most he can ask you to do is to reverse what you've done.
    Though that is highly doubtful that he will and if he does he's a fucking idiot.

If you don't have a green/yellow cable it means you have no grounding cable and are SoL (Shit-outta-Luck).
    Honestly ... you should have this done as it shouldn't be too much effort but it will cost you, I cannot give you estimates at all.

Preventing yourself being the ground for this is kinda better for your health and the health of your equipment.
    Ya I had just thrown a 3rd edit in with the same results, I guess i'll go look around at the costs, silly world we live in. Well I appreciate everyone coming in with advice and helping me resolve these issues, and thank you Evildeffy for helping me with such great effort.

This sucks tho especially because it is friday now.
    Last edited by Nuckels; 2016-06-24 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    Its right next to it (on the other side of the wall), but its not something I feel comfortable doing myself and do not have the funds to hire someone to do nor really know someone with that kind of expertise. Not sure what to do.
    There's your answer then and its not hard. Get the electrician to do it. If itson the other side of the wall its easy, even with an external socket. And if you do it that way ask him the socket to be "reinforced". Cause most wall socket are not the same as the one installed to kitchen/oven. It will basically let you have higher wattage limit/load on it. I have that myself on all my house on purpose since i got a main electric current stabilizer on switchboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    There's your answer then and its not hard. Get the electrician to do it. If itson the other side of the wall its easy, even with an external socket. And if you do it that way ask him the socket to be "reinforced". Cause most wall socket are not the same as the one installed to kitchen/oven. It will basically let you have higher wattage limit/load on it. I have that myself on all my house on purpose since i got a main electric current stabilizer on switchboard.
    Thank you for the advice sir.

Already said before, I'll say it again. Your electrical socket at the wall is not grounded. It may appear grounded (3 holes) but the electrician didn't attach a ground wire, or, if he did, it's not actually going to ground. My monitor's DVI cable (yes, DVI cable) was shocking me periodically but nothing else was, turns out that socket that monitor was plugged into wasn't grounded either (Only live and neutral). Plugged it into a proper grounded socket, no more shocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of with @Kalset on this one.. it could be a buildup of ESD in your room. What kind of shock exactly are we talking about here? A static shock, or an electrical surge? Does it spark on your fingertrip, or does it tingle up your finger and towards your arm?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice there were 2 more pages of the thread when I replied. Seems like it could be a grounding issue after all then. Strange, here it's illegal to have ungrounded sockets, so ungrounded sockets are certainly not called "normal" ones :P
    Last edited by aktorsyl; 2016-06-26 at 12:54 PM.

Deleted
    It has been mentioned already; your socket isn't grounded.

You could try to connect your pc to a surge protected socket box like this one: https://www.salland.eu/product/37145...-ph6t3-gr.html

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, as I said in my post earlier about the grounded vs. ungrounded sockets, unless I am mistaken the ungrounded ones are no longer legal, though it may not apply if they have been there longer than the law has been applicable as they often grandfather previous ones in. I would recommend at least getting the one socket you use for your computer replaced regardless of the cost for your safety.

I am aware it is indeed not grounded, I am currently broke but will get a new socket put in my wall soon, Its retarded that isn't mandatory here to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not put new sockets yourself? It isn't hard, and the sockets are fairly cheap. Cheap at least here in the states. So long as you have that 3rd wire, it should be easy. Obviously shut off power at the breakers. If you're not allowed to, for reasons, then move out.

So the electrician came by today, told me I need a grounded socket and not a normal one
    (see picture:
    the entire house except for the kitchen has the left socket, I need the one on the right.)
    Those sockets looks quite dangerous with those screws, and earth on side. Now I cannot say anything bad about sockets/plugs used in UK :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Those sockets looks quite dangerous with those screws, and earth on side. Now I cannot say anything bad about sockets/plugs used in UK :P
    Not even remotely dangerous at all, you think the ground is live?
    It's a ground, that's where any residual trace that "spills out" goes when connected.

That's like saying "Petrol engines are dangerous, Diesel engines are not!".

Not even remotely dangerous at all, you think the ground is live?
    It's a ground, that's where any residual trace that "spills out" goes when connected.

That's like saying "Petrol engines are dangerous, Diesel engines are not!".
    As I said earth on side of the socket seems like bad idea, but I guess everyone have other idea what would be better (hence 14 different types of socket/plugs). Also that comparison to engines is totally faulty. You should compare it to stuff that can be safe to do in your country, but it would be considered dangerous somewhere else ...

Anyway as we see in OP example real problem are old houses which still do not have sockets with earth. And I would say that PC require safe grounded sockets if you want them to last a while.

I wonder how many houses are still using aluminium in cables xD In 1980 and before people would say it is safe to use them xD
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2016-06-29 at 12:53 AM.
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

15+ Year Old Account
    As I said earth on side of the socket seems like bad idea, but I guess everyone have other idea what would be better (hence 14 different types of socket/plugs). Also that comparison to engines is totally faulty. You should compare it to stuff that can be safe to do in your country, but it would be considered dangerous somewhere else ...
    The comparison is valid as it compares what you feel is dangerous or a bad idea.
    Hence the car engine analogy, but irrelevant.

Anyway as we see in OP example real problem are old houses which still do not have sockets with earth. And I would say that PC require safe grounded sockets if you want them to last a while.

I wonder how many houses are still using aluminium in cables xD In 1980 and before people would say it is safe to use them xD
    You'd be surprised at how many modern day electrical appliances and even industrial transformers still use aluminium for windings etc.
    The windings for this sort of stuff (house wiring included) is about 1/3rd of the price of the copper windings.

It's not better no but everyone's a cheap git.

I remember removing installation made from aluminium about 10 years ago. Cables where stiff, and they where crumbling in hands, and ofc reason to change them was that someone finally managed to put enough power trough them (microwave, electric oven, etc) and they just started burning trough wall xD