Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Cigarettes are harmful to yourself and, more importantly, others even from smoking just one. Alcohol is the same in many ways, albeit to a lesser degree. Both substances are also addictive.

Sugar isn't addictive. Eating a candy bar isn't unhealthy, dangerous to others or yourself.

Do you know how much food the government would have to send? Who is paying to ship it? Who is paying to store the perishable foods at safe temperatures? Who is paying to package and box 40 MILLION of boxes of food every single month.

It's a supplemental program. 70% of the recipients are expected to pay for a portion of their own food needs. Is this really that hard to understand?
    Some candy bars have a lot of protein in them. Are they the same as eating a typical "healthy meal" like salad greens and skinless chicken? Obviously not.

However, eating a candy bar isn't going to make you obese. It's not harmful to your body. It's not going to make you addicted to sugar.

Thanks for identifying a great rebuttal. I've mentioned the costs in this thread probably 5 or 6 separate times. I've never once argued that the government doesn't have the ability or authority to restrict what foods can be purchased with SNAP.
    Try to convince a nutritionist about this and then come back and let us know how that went for you. Obviously what should be common sense in this issue is lost to you and there really is no point in continuing to point out the obvious.

You still don't understand what the word disdain means? Should I link you the definition again?

It's not about letting them do whatever they want. It's about how you don't want them eating candy because it's government dollars. You don't give a crap if they buy a candy bar with their own money, which proves it's about disdain and not about nutrition.
    You seriously want me to go back and quote you many different times stating about our disdain for the poor by restricting what the government allows them to buy? You didn't start arguing about finances till a few pages back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Try to convince a nutritionist about this and then come back and let us know how that went for you. Obviously what should be common sense in this issue is lost to you and there really is no point in continuing to point out the obvious.
    Hey man, but if all I eat is a snickers only and only 1 a day, I will be fine right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Try convincing a nutritionist of what? That eating a candy bar isn't going to make you obese or make you sick?

Only a delusional person believes this. I would imagine a nutritionist knows what the word "moderation" means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    You seriously want me to go back and quote you many different times stating about our disdain for the poor by restricting what the government allows them to buy? You didn't start arguing about finances till a few pages back.
    Your disdain for poor people stems from your position that they shouldn't be allowed to buy sugary foods with government money. You don't give a shit if they drown themselves with Mt. Dew that they bought with their own money.

That's demonstrable proof that you care not for nutrition, and just want to dictate what SNAP participants can use because it's not "their money."

Hey man, but if all I eat is a snickers only and only 1 a day, I will be fine right?
    Yes, you will. Glad you finally realize this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Yes, you will. Glad you finally realize this.
    This is undeniably reason enough you should not be commenting on why or why not people should be able to purchase candy on SNAP.

I guess I have disdain towards myself. I should probably seek help shouldn't I?

This is undeniably reason enough you should not be commenting on why or why not people should be able to purchase candy on SNAP.

I guess I have disdain towards myself. I should probably seek help shouldn't I?
    Because I realize that eating a candy bar with these nutrition contents:

Nutrition Facts
    Mars Snackfood US Snickers Cruncher
    Amount Per 1 serving 1.56 oz bar (44 g)
    Calories 215
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 11 g 16%
    Saturated fat 6 g 30%
    Trans fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 4 mg 1%
    Sodium 83 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 28 g 9%
    Dietary fiber 0.8 g 3%
    Sugar 20 g
    Protein 3 g 6%
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 4% Iron 1%

...isn't unhealthy?

I think you are either delusional, or are just being deliberately obtuse because you've come to realize that you can't win this argument.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Because I realize that eating a candy bar with these nutrition contents:

Nutrition Facts
    Mars Snackfood US Snickers Cruncher
    Amount Per 1 serving 1.56 oz bar (44 g)
    Calories 215
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 11 g 16%
    Saturated fat 6 g 30%
    Trans fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 4 mg 1%
    Sodium 83 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 28 g 9%
    Dietary fiber 0.8 g 3%
    Sugar 20 g
    Protein 3 g 6%
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 4% Iron 1%

...isn't unhealthy?

I think you are either delusional, or are just being deliberately obtuse because you've come to realize that you can't win this argument.
    Interesting that you just gave facts on the % daily value that an average human needs every day, while stating that a person only eating a snickers everyday will be living a healthy lifestyle. I mean seriously. Did you literally just again, give info on something that points out how wrong you are? Come on, the least you can do when arguing is google sources till you can find something that supports you.

The Percent Daily Value on the Nutrition Facts label is a guide to the nutrients in one serving of food. For example, if the label lists 15 percent for calcium, it means that one serving provides 15 percent of the calcium you need each day. The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet for healthy adults.

Interesting that you just gave facts on the % daily value that an average human needs every day, while stating that a person only eating a snickers everyday will be living a healthy lifestyle. I mean seriously. Did you literally just again, give info on something that points out how wrong you are? Come on, the least you can do when arguing is google sources till you can find something that supports you.
    When have I ever said this?

I said eating a candy bar isn't unhealthy, and that you could eat one every single day.

I think even you're smart enough to understand that you'd also need other foods besides just the candy bar. You can't survive on 200 calories a day.

When have I ever said this?

I said eating a candy bar isn't unhealthy, and that you could eat one every single day.

I think even you're smart enough to understand that you'd also need other foods besides just the candy bar. You can't survive on 200 calories a day.
    You said you can eat a snickers everyday. Go budget a realistic diet for me real quick that doesn't exceed the sugar dietary limit while consuming the proper amounts of everything else on a 2000 calorie diet, then get back to me.

And yes, you did argue if all I ate was a snickers everyday it would be healthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yes, you did argue if all I ate was a snickers everyday it would be healthy.
    Reading through your guys discussion..
    He is correct..

You gave him a hypothetical example: 1 snickers per day only.
    And he answered that you would be fine.
    Since you ignored with your question that from the basic nutritional value 1 snickers is not anywhere close to enough. Why do you expect him to not ignore the circumstance?
    Since the guideline for sugar is 37.5 gram/day for men and 25g per day for women, one snickers would be within the healthy limits.
    All other nutrients would also be within the limits, means one snickers alone is not unhealthy.

I completely understand his argument.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Things to also note on your dietary plan.

1,177 U.S. manufacturing establishments produced chocolate and cocoa products in 2009.
    More than 34,000 people are employed in the United States because of the candy industry.
    Mars Inc. products are the #1 and #2 best selling candy products in the world today: M&Ms and Snickers bars.
    4%. That’s the percentage of candy consumption that occurs in the US on the day of Halloween.
    1 in 4 American adults will choose to have at least one piece of candy every day of the week.
    Kids eat 4 hard and chewy candies for every one eaten by adults, as adults prefer to eat chocolate candies above anything else.
    The average amount of calories in a fun-sized candy bar: 60-100.
    It only takes 5 fun-sized candy bars and no other dietary adjustments for someone to gain 1 pound of weight per week.
    The most popular candy for search engines: candy corn, which is 10% of all candy-related searches.
    65% of the American candy brands have been around for more than five decades.
    Interesting it seems if eating candy, chocolate is the more healthier option.

Several medical studies have shown that eating chocolate in moderation could actually prolong a person’s life by reducing the risk of blood clots forming and it’s ability to fight bad cholesterol.
    The average American will eat chocolate for about 50% of their annual candy intake.
    A 1 ounce bar of milk chocolate contains only 5-6mg of caffeine.
    If you can’t consume chocolate today, then freeze it. The candy will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
    The shelf life of a chocolate bar is up to 1 year.
    U.S. chocolate manufacturers use 3.5 million pounds of whole milk every day to make chocolate.
    Should Everyone Be Eating Fewer Sugars?

Men consume an average 12.7% of their calories from added sugars, compared with 13.2% for women.
    Men in the lowest income brackets consumed 14% of their calories from sugar. Men in the highest income brackets consumed 11% of their calories from sugar.
    Foods contributed 67% of calories from added sugars.
    Approximately 13% of adults’ total caloric intakes came from added sugars between 2005 and 2010.
    The average American consumes anywhere between 150 to 170 pounds of refined sugars in 12 months. A century ago, the average American consumed just 4 pounds of sugar per year.
    The consumption of 20 teaspoons of sugar per day can reduce immune system functioning by up to 50%.
    If America’s obesity trend continues at its current pace, all 50 states could have obesity rates above 44% by 2030.
    71.4% of U.S. adults get more than the recommended 10% of their daily calories from added sugars in foods and drinks.
    There is a direct connection between cardiovascular disease and sugar consumption.

Candy consumption is just one avenue of eating sugar that many people don’t think about. Foods and beverages are laden in sugar. Drinking just one soda during the day will contribute 50% of the sugars that are needed to suppress immune system functioning. If you find that you are getting sick more than the average person is during the year and you can’t find any reason why, then sugar might just be the culprit. A 12 ounce can of soda could have 12 teaspoons of sugar in it. Combine that with the large amounts of candy that are consumed and sugar could be poisoning you right now.
    Anyways more interesting stuff on it at

http://brandongaille.com/42-awesome-...on-statistics/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Reading through your guys discussion..
    He is correct..

You gave him a hypothetical example: 1 snickers per day only.
    And he answered that you would be fine.
    Since you ignored with your question that from the basic nutritional value 1 snickers is not anywhere close to enough. Why do you expect him to not ignore the circumstance?
    Since the guideline for sugar is 37.5 gram/day for men and 25g per day for women, one snickers would be within the healthy limits.
    All other nutrients would also be within the limits, means one snickers alone is not unhealthy.

I completely understand his argument.
    No it's not, because within the healthy limits is not 0-X number.

From the FDAs own website.

Why propose providing this additional information to consumers? Scientific data shows that it is difficult to meet nutrient needs while staying within calorie requirements if you consume more than 10 percent of your total daily calories from added sugar. The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), whose recommendations inform the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the foundation for national nutrition programs, standards and education, used the same data in the analysis for their recommendations earlier this year.
    Consumers can still choose foods that have added sugars as part of a healthy diet, but the proposed Daily Value would provide a benchmark for intake. Without information like this about a nutrient, it’s hard to know if you’re eating too much or too little in a given day. For example, a consumer who drinks a 20-ounce sugared beverage may be surprised to know it contains about 66 grams of added sugar, which would be listed on the label as 132 percent of the Daily Value.
    Now imagine the people eating a candy bar and drinking at least 1 soda a day. Which the guy already posted a pretty damning statistic on the % of food stamp recipients drinking at least 1 soda a day.
    Last edited by Zyster; 2016-06-24 at 07:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not, because within the healthy limits is not 0-X number.
    What the hell is wrong with you here? LOL
    1 candy bar does not exceed any nutritional values needed per day.

You gave an idiotic hypothesis to begin with. And then you complained that he took it head on, and played along.

No one can live of 200 calories per day, for a longer period of time. Why would you even ask such a question?
    But IF you want to entertain the thought, then your cause of death is not the candy bar that will kill you.

What the hell is wrong with you here? LOL
    1 candy bar does not exceed any nutritional values needed per day.

You gave an idiotic hypothesis to begin with. And then you complained that he took it head on, and played along.

No one can live of 200 calories per day, for a longer period of time. Why would you even ask such a question?
    But IF you want to entertain the thought, then your cause of death is not the candy bar that will kill you.
    It doesn't exceed, nor it doesn't reach the healthy consumption. No, he played along stating that it isn't unhealthy to consume a snickers bar everyday, therefore there should be no restrictions on food stamps. Why would I ask a question? You mean towards someone proposing people should just eat a snickers only everyday? Nice try.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't exceed, nor it doesn't reach the healthy consumption.
    That's where your idiotic example comes into the picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I ask a question? You mean towards someone proposing people should just eat a snickers only everyday? Nice try.
    Where did he say that people should eat nothing else than 1 candy bar a day? Please quote him.

That's where your idiotic example comes into the picture.
    It's idiotic to consume the % daily value based off a healthy adult? Not sure you have anything to provide to the convo other than trying to tell people they are stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's idiotic to consume the % daily value based off a healthy adult? Not sure you have anything to provide to the convo other than trying to tell people they are stupid.
    See, that's where your problem lies..
    You accuse people of saying something, they never said..
    Much like he never said what you accuse him for, I never said you were stupid. I said your example was idiotic.
    If you conclude from an idiotic example being the same as you yourself being stupid, that would be entirely on you. But I never said you were stupid.

You said you can eat a snickers everyday. Go budget a realistic diet for me real quick that doesn't exceed the sugar dietary limit while consuming the proper amounts of everything else on a 2000 calorie diet, then get back to me.
    Here you go. 37.5g per day for an adult male

Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs
    Spinach

Lunch:

Romaine Lettuce
    Chicken Breast

Dinner:
    Hummus
    Chicken Breast
    Broccoli

Depending on serving sizes, you might have ~10g of total sugar there.

Enjoy your snicker's bar, you're still under the 37.5g intake per day, as well as fat and calories.

I never said this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I think people on food stamps should be more limited on what you buy, fast food companies for years have been campaigning to allow people to buy their food with food stamps.

I have a friend who is on disability because he is obese, how does the government fix this? They gave him a place to live then has someone come in clean his place and does his shopping. Guess what he buys? Mt Dew and Chips, he has done nothing but gain weight since he got disability 15 years ago. He went from 500lbs to 770lbs. He pretty much just sits around all day playing video games and watches Netflix.
    Agreed. There is very little nutritional value in junk food when there are much healthier and cheaper alternatives.

Food Stamps should not be buying that is in a bottle (water, soda, ect) that is available at convenience stores. You can buy jugs of water/milk/baking stuff but that is it. Water is easily available for the most part unless you live in Flint.

No candy, no chips or at the very least there should be some cap put on that. Not sure how it would work out.

If you want junk food you can spend your own money on it. Government doesn't need to be an enabler to your bad habits.

Here you go. 37.5g per day for an adult male

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Depending on serving sizes, you might have ~10g of total sugar there.

Enjoy your snicker's bar, you're still under the 37.5g intake per day, as well as fat and calories.
    Linking things that poor people won't eat is silly. Spinach, romaine lettuce, hummus, and broccoli? ROFL!

I'll give you chicken, but not just the breast. You obviously have never been poor or know poor people at all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198075/

"Poverty rates and obesity were reviewed across 3,139 counties in the U.S. (2,6). In contrast to international trends, people in America who live in the most poverty-dense counties are those most prone to obesity (Fig. 1A). Counties with poverty rates of >35% have obesity rates 145% greater than wealthy counties."

"It has been suggested that individuals who live in impoverished regions have poor access to fresh food. Poverty-dense areas are oftentimes called “food deserts,” implying diminished access to fresh food (7). However, 43% of households with incomes below the poverty line ($21,756) are food insecure (uncertain of having, or unable to acquire, sufficient food) (7)."

"Thus, in many poverty-dense regions, people are in hunger and unable to access affordable healthy food, even when funds avail."

Poor eating habits is only one very important part of the discussion, but it's something we can help with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Linking things that poor people won't eat is silly. Spinach, romaine lettuce, hummus, and broccoli? ROFL!

I'll give you chicken, but not just the breast. You obviously have never been poor or know poor people at all.
    This isn't a diet for poor people. It's an example daily food list that includes a snicker's bar that does not exceed the recommended daily sugar intake amounts.

Meaning that you could actually eat a snicker's bar every single day and be within the guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Linking things that poor people won't eat is silly. Spinach, romaine lettuce, hummus, and broccoli?
    Chicken spinach lettuce and broccoli is extremely cheap.
    It's literally what I eat every day with eggs.