Page 91 of 131 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hachidori View Post

There are so many walls and fences in Israel that I'm having trouble finding the exact one that is the near-same length the one across Mexico would be. And these are repelling armed terrorists, not unarmed illegal immigrants.

It's almost as if this idea has worked before in practice.
    Thinking that wall actually prevents people from not going over it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/wo...smugglers.html

There's an industry to get over it. Are you kidding?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Relevant, not sure if it's been posted yet, but here goes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PHPMPXnQA
    Kimmel also has a great fake news survey. That's hilarious too.

found it
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2016-06-24 at 10:42 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually curious is such a wall an engineering impossibility?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    ...that's the point.

You'd have to actively survey every square mile, because the ones you aren't? Smugglers would flock there. You act like smugglers are dumb - they're really not. You got a schedule? Theirs works around yours. You build a wall? They find the hole... or make a tunnel. And yeah, civilians can report "oh hey there was a boat on the ocean. looked real mexican-y. it was you know.. like any other boat".
    eh... no. its not like that at all. as i said, they cant just pull into any old place and then scatter like roaches. besides the fact that most vessels are incapable of that in any case. without going into too much detail, illegal migrants are not that difficult to spot. you cant pack 50 people on a boat meant for 8 for weeks without things going wrong. oftentimes they will call the coast guard themselves for help. and that is besides all the other laws that govern maritime travel that make it difficult for them. it is very unlikely that they are going to make it all the way to less-guarded areas without someone spotting them, or even just having to communicate with other vessels. then people will wonder why a mexican fishing vessel is in waters it is illegal to fish in, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Across the entire Mexican border, yes.
    But where geologically possible, nope. Rather easy, just costly to build, even more to maintain.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    eh... no. its not like that at all. as i said, they cant just pull into any old place and then scatter like roaches. besides the fact that most vessels are incapable of that in any case. without going into too much detail, illegal migrants are not that difficult to spot. you cant pack 50 people on a boat meant for 8 for weeks without things going wrong. oftentimes they will call the coast guard themselves for help. and that is besides all the other laws that govern maritime travel that make it difficult for them. it is very unlikely that they are going to make it all the way to less-guarded areas without someone spotting them, or even just having to communicate with other vessels. then people will wonder why a mexican fishing vessel is in waters it is illegal to fish in, etc.
    Your argument falls apart where you're trying to pretend it's easy to spot an illegal immigrant ON THE OCEAN and know it's an illegal immigrant by sight. Or assuming that all smugglers (because let's face it - there are smugglers, and they DO have refined methods) are novices that the US will catch because they look sooooo mexican.

It's bullshit.

Your argument falls apart where you're trying to pretend it's easy to spot an illegal immigrant ON THE OCEAN and know it's an illegal immigrant by sight. Or assuming that all smugglers (because let's face it - there are smugglers, and they DO have refined methods) are novices that the US will catch because they look sooooo mexican.

It's bullshit.
    Welp, I guess we should just pack it in and get rid of any and all border laws, then.

Can't be wasting our time, as you say.

7+ Year Old Account

There are so many walls and fences in Israel that I'm having trouble finding the exact one that is the near-same length the one across Mexico would be. And these are repelling armed terrorists, not unarmed illegal immigrants.

It's almost as if this idea has worked before in practice.
    Sparky, you said Israel had one as long as all the borders and shorelines of the US. You are going to be looking for a long time.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

It's bullshit.
    about 99% of illegal migrant vessels will resemble this:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Welp, I guess we should just pack it in and get rid of any and all border laws, then.

"If we can't go full retard, may as well have nothing at all!"

Being opposed to retarded levels of spending and control is not complete opposition to anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    about 99% of illegal migrant vessels will resemble this:
    You work for the coast guard? Wow didn't know we had a coast guard in here.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Nope. Not as it's been described. Main issue in a word, "wind".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

In other news, Trump congratulated Scots for leaving union. Could be UK...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Thinking that wall actually prevents people from not going over it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/wo...smugglers.html

There's an industry to get over it. Are you kidding?
    Seat belts in vehicles does not stop death's. They help to reduce them. Like the supporters for stronger gun control argue, they will not totally prevent gun violence, but help to reduce it. Cops patrolling a section of a highway will help reduce the number of speeders. Same logic when it comes to taking steps to make your country's borders more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    "If we can't go full retard, may as well have nothing at all!"

Being opposed to retarded levels of spending and control is not complete opposition to anything.
    Hey. Trade secret.

I took the sarcastic response people have to "Even with laws, people will still commit shootings" and molded it to fit immigration.

If we should control guns better, even if some people will still ignore those controls, then we need to control the enter the country better, even if some people ignore those controls.

I fully admit we need to reform the process of immigration. But I have zero love and sympathy for line jumpers and the human smugglers they provide business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Relevant, not sure if it's been posted yet, but here goes:
    That's dishonest, not your post, but the video being used as any evidance. We know there are morons voting for every candidate. I prefer to stick to the issues...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    "I can no longer refute this continued stream of evidence you keep providing. I'm going to pretend I'm laughing at you."

I'm done with this topic. Dunking on 6+ people, including a moderator, is tiresome. Good luck with Shillary's campaign.
    I am not sure you understand what actually happened to your arguments here. Running off while declaring victory makes me positive you don't.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Seat belts in vehicles does not stop death's. They help to reduce them. Like the supporters for stronger gun control argue, they will not totally prevent gun violence, but help to reduce it. Cops patrolling a section of a highway will help reduce the number of speeders. Same logic when it comes to taking steps to make your country's borders more secure.
    And yet they still have a lot more problems. Guess not, huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    I am not sure you understand what actually happened to your arguments here. Running off while declaring victory makes me positive you don't.
    Zenwhateverthenameis, did the same thing. Both claimed to not be Trump supporters as well...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That's flawed logic on several levels. First, that argument has not and does not work for gun legistlation, as gun regulation votes should show you. Second, for a seatbelt to equal the wall, you wouldn't be regulated to wear a seatbelt, but drive a tank. I'm not sure who'd be paying for the armoring your vehicle, to make the analogy perfect.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

I'm more in favor of realistic solutions, like revising our citizenship path (it should not take *decades*) and reevaluation of our visa programs, considering how easy it is to get lost once you've spent the time of your visa. I'd also rather go at the source, the people employing illegal immigrants, than a feel-good wall that wastes a ton of money.

It's a question of appropriate use of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    In other news, Trump congratulated Scots for leaving union. Could be UK...
    Yet the Scots voted overwhelmingly to stay in.