Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Danish government-allied populists call for EU vote, PM rejects

https://www.yahoo.com/news/danish-go...778.html?nhp=1

and so it begins.....

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Denmark's populist anti-immigration party called on Friday for a referendum on the country's membership of the European Union following Britain's decision to leave, but the prime minister rejected such a possibility.

The Danish People's Party (DF), an ally of the right-leaning government, said it wanted a referendum about continued membership once Britain has negotiated the terms for its future cooperation with the union.

"I believe that the Danes obviously should have a referendum on whether we want to follow Britain or keep things the way we have it now," DF party leader Kristian Thulesen Dahl told broadcaster DR.

The DF is not in government but is one of three parties supporting the one-party administration. In total, the four parties have only one seat more than the opposition bloc. The DF holds 37 seats in the 179-seat parliament.

Its call for a popular vote was echoed by the head of the left-wing Red-Green Alliance. Those two parties hold 51 seats, while the minority government holds just 34 seats and depends on other parties to pass laws.

Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen rejected the calls, but acknowledged that the British vote raised the possibility of a "slimmer EU".

"We belong in the EU," Rasmussen told a news conference. "I do not foresee that there will be a situation in the foreseeable future where we need to take a break with that".

An opinion poll this week showed 59 percent of Danes would be against holding a referendum similar to the British on EU membership, while 33 percent were for a vote.

A spokesman for the biggest opposition party, the Social Democrats, holding 47 seats in parliament, told the same broadcaster that it was in Denmark's clear interest to remain within the EU.

The leader of Britain's UK Independence Party, Nigel Farage, said before the result was known that Brexit would trigger a domino effect in which several Northern European countries would leave the EU, starting with Denmark.

In Sweden, the anti-immigration party the Sweden Democrats has long demanded a referendum on the country's EU membership.

"The Sweden Democrats will now increase our pressure on the government, and we demand that Sweden immediately starts to renegotiate the (EU) deals we have made and that the Swedish people will be able to speak up about a future EU-membership in a referendum," party leader Jimme Akesson said by email.

In December, Danes voted and rejected adopting several EU justice and home affairs laws in order to stay within the cross-border policing agency, Europol.

Yep, all good signs. Localism and Nationalism being paramount to strong Identity, keep pushing people.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I have one thing to say to the non-Danes visiting this thread: DF does not speak for this country. They can fuck off. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    Yep, all good signs. Localism and Nationalism being paramount to strong Identity, keep pushing people.
    this is what the EU gets when it prioritizes refugees over its own citizens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    And the solution to that is what? Shoot ourselves in the knee caps?
    The EU leadership has made some terrible mistakes, I won't argue against that, but the notions of pan-European unity and prosperity are worth standing up for.
    I want a reformed EU, not a crumbled one.

Anti-EU sentiments in UK predates Syrian refugee crisis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    The EU leadership has made some terrible mistakes, I won't argue against that, but the notions of pan-European unity and prosperity are worth standing up for.
    Not everything has a solution, some mistakes only have consequence.

The refugee crisis definitely helped the push for a lot of the country to want to exit EU, maybe they should reflect on that in the future. As for this time, what is done is done, there are no solution, they just have to hope not too many country push for leave and let them forget about it over time, and not make the same mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I have one thing to say to the non-Danes visiting this thread: DF does not speak for this country. They can fuck off. That is all.
    Word. Needs repeating.

Exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    You'll get a crumbled one with what the EU is trying to do anyways, because it's not interested in preserving national sovereignty nor cultural identity. It looks at each member state as just another spoke in it's centralized hub, a branch office of its' ideals and goals.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Heck fuck unity. I want a trade block of hundreds of millions, not multiple small states in direct competition with each other getting picked off with far greater pressure by currency speculators and foreign investors very interesting in pressing their social agendas in trade for cash.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, since im not an expert on the EU, but wasn't it originally designed to be a economic alliance? if that's the case, Why the fuck did it start to try to dictate to member states who they have to allow into their countries. seems like they tried to overreach their power.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Schengen extended freedom of movement from goods to people. EU citizenship extended that allowing all countries to employ from a much larger pool. Sadly as is often the case with the EU while the borders have always been lax and poorly protected, noone really cared until it became a problem (and Germany and Sweden decided to give free advertisement for all human traffickers in the planet).
    I still cannot fathom why Germany and Sweden thought it was a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I still cannot fathom why Germany and Sweden thought it was a good idea.
    Meh, cheap labor and a dwindling birthrate I guess. They guised it under being "humanitarian". They should have known that the natives were going to get pissed that the EU was bringing in folks who have a vastly different culture that doesn't value the same things they do, such as LBGT and womans rights.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess they are in a pissing match with Canada on who is the most PC? I just don't buy the idea that Germany did it for demographic reasons. Yes, they are facing a significant demographic crisis due to an aging population but these people will not help boost anyone's economy or welfare systems. If that was their problem, get your people to stop being so very much less than civil to southern EU citizens looking to move for better prospects who share most of your values and have a high level of education instead.
    seems like it would have been a better idea to Offer economic incentives for the native population to reproduce, like Tax breaks etc etc. I think Australia has policies similar to those.

That is already being done. I guess you could extend the tax breaks to the second kid but that would be a huge dive. Plus the problem is not something that you can wait a generation to solve; insurance systems should be able to operate on current contribution (ideally the should work on maturing investments of the pensioneers own contributions but public money investment on long-term capital doesn't always work in a democracy . . .). If your workforce is shrinking, that just won't work. Plus these countries have growth rates that demand trained, educated personel now, not in two decades. SOuthern Europe is full of unemployed, educated youth.
    So...they would rather take in "refugees" from countries that have a lower standard of education and a culture that is in absolute contrast to their own? WTF were they thinking?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I hope the Danish people gain the ability to vote on their membership like we did.

So...they would rather take in "refugees" from countries that have a lower standard of education and a culture that is in absolute contrast to their own? WTF were they thinking?
    Refugees can't work so I've no idea where you're getting any of these ideas from.

/edit: Nvm, seems like they are different to the UK. Takes 3 months to apply for a job, employers have to take natives over immigrants and then there's some approval needed from some official body. Doesn't sound simple but they can eventually work.

Full info here http://m.dw.com/en/when-refugees-wan...any/a-18737104
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2016-06-24 at 11:10 PM.

In a democratic context, I've always found the 'populist' snarl word to be quite amusing.

Do people want to be 'unpopulists'? Do they support 'unpopulists'?

Cut away the hubris and you find it's nothing more than a moan from people who can't fathom the fact that the majority isn't on their side; which is generally the one pre-requisite to success in a democracy, funnily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I hope the Danish people gain the ability to vote on their membership like we did.

So your happy that in 1 day all the money and property of UK citizens lost 20% of value?

Before Brexit 1$ =1,5£ / After Brexit 1$=1,2£

Not to forget the possibility of price increase by ~12% on daily goods because of import taxes on food, cloths, electronic, Energie

Did i mentioned that people will lose there jobs because of rising production costs?
    Last edited by Durandir; 2016-06-24 at 11:34 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    So your happy that in 1 day all your money and property lost 20% of value?
    that was going to happen if Brexit was a thing and it did on a bright note its going to be a lot cheaper to take a vacation in london

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    So your happy that in 1 day all the money and property of UK citizens lost 20% of value?

Before Brexit 1$ =1,5£ / After Brexit 1$=1,2£

Not to forget the possibility of price increase by ~12% on daily goods because of import taxes on food, cloths, electronic, Energie

Did i mentioned that people will lose there jobs because of rising production costs?
    And that is with the Euro tanking as well.

And now you see the position we're in. Almost all the danes I know want out of the EU, but heres the problem:
    Both blocs are Pro-EU, and only the Far right and far left are anti-EU. So you basically have no way to get a referendum to get out, which is why I got pissed at Britons who whined that they shouldn't have gotten such a choice.

You're free, and the markets will stabilize over time, we cannot be free as long as the Social Democrats or Venstre is in power.