Page 95 of 138 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Speculative. I still haven't seen a source on that marketing budget, and even if it is $100m, that's a total of $260m.
    Now factor in that the movie creators get about half money the movie "makes".

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Stop bringing up troubling facts when people are trying to stay in their Happy Places.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Reading this thread was almost as entertaining as watching the movie... wait, I haven´t read any reviews about it yet, so I can´t have an opinion wether I was entertained or not...

Jokes aside people: Don´t believe everything you hear or read. Go make your own opinion. Unsub of WoW (I hear it´s dead anyway) for a month, so you can afford the cost of seeing the movie, then come back and give us your honest opinion. Meaning /bias off.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Actually: Warcraft just passed to first position in MOST SUCCESSFULL movie based on a game EVER, and this just 3 weeks after release.

It beats out Prince of Persia and the movie grossing 380 million dollars worldwide already... It needs to launch in another series of countries still.

There is a HUGE difference between what some US critics (and the usual hate trolls) think that a movie should look like and what Warcraft showed, but that doesn't mean the movie was not a HUGE success in the rest of the world.

I am glad we will get a Warcraft 2 movie and see the stories unfold.

Btw: the extended DVd version will easely bring in another 100 million dollars from the fans, so it will surely pass the 500 million dollars revenue streams.

I am pretty sure its total will be well over 600 million dollars if everything will be counted after 6 months.

----

Frankly I don't see a single reason why I should not get the extended DVD version asap. I think many more millions of Warcraft fans will do the exact same. So by the end of this year, Warcraft the movie is a cult movie for millions of fans already

No matter what the usual suspects and hate trolls say in our forums .

- - - Updated - - -

So wrong.

It made 382 million dollars already, 200 million came from China, that's 55%.

the US is not the equivalent of the West. In Germany it made number one in 3 consecutive weeks.

Take your Brexit and stuff it where I think it should belong really. Europe is not only the UK either.

The movie simply was not in accordance of what some Western Hollywood critics wanted it to be: a shiny White Knight Armor fairy tale killing mindless Beasts/Orcs and get a happy ending where the "good" prevails.

Instead these critics got a very fast action movie where the "beast" is a hero battling the Forces within and where several heroes die... with the actual bad conquering even more minds ...

---------------/----------/

I am sorry if you think that Lotr is the ultimate for this bland almost racist story telling. Warcraft is actually the first decent Fantasy movie on that subject that goes beyond the White Knights vs the bad beasts.

I guess this kind of action story was too complicated for the intellect of most US critics or may we say the Trump generation that follows these mass media and take for granted what these preachers write/tell... ?

Glad to live in Belgium (not the city .... LOL).
    Bla Bla Bla ranting about nothing to do with my post. The movie did flop in the west, it had a massive budget and if not for china they would be crying at how poorly it did.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

"It beat Prince of Persia as the biggest video game movie of all time!"

Yes because we all look back at Prince of Persia with fond memories. Truly a masterpiece of modern cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    What this is is a case of Show, Don't Tell.
    They don't show it to us, either.

Your error is that you presuppose some logic behind a fantasy world because you know how things are supposed to work. Fantasy world lacks any logic, and you have to implicitly establish rules because audience have no way to know them otherwise.

WoW, This thread contains some of the most logical and mature arguments I have ever seen on the entire internet.
    Way to go peeps

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    If all that's true then the studio expected to recoup about $520m on this film? I just find that hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Stop bringing up troubling facts when people are trying to stay in their Happy Places.
    I have no personal stake in this, I'm just disputing the idea that the movie is a bomb. I've seen real bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Bla Bla Bla ranting about nothing to do with my post. The movie did flop in the west, it had a massive budget and if not for china they would be crying at how poorly it did.
    But fortunately China exists? I don't get the point of this comment. Who cares which country the takings are in? Based on past video game movies, they probably expected to make a lot more in China. In fact that's where Legendary raised the money to make it, and did shitloads of promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    "It beat Prince of Persia as the biggest video game movie of all time!"

Yes because we all look back at Prince of Persia with fond memories. Truly a masterpiece of modern cinema.
    Well maybe we should compare it to a good video game movie, like... um...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    I wholeheartedly hope they let this movie franchise die and perhaps let J.J. Abrams reinvent it in 5 years.
    No realistic chance of that. It's not a big enough property. Which is why it didn't attract any big name actors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Surely China is irrelevant in a discussion that states "it flopped in the west". I'm not really sure where you're going with this, I was discussing how it flopped pretty hard in the west as a whole compared to expectations, and how it was saved by China, I mean what else is there to say?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Surely China is irrelevant in a discussion that states "it flopped in the west". I'm not really sure where you're going with this, I was discussing how it flopped pretty hard in the west as a whole compared to expectations, and how it was saved by China, I mean what else is there to say?
    Problem is it didn't bomb in the West just the US. It did well everywhere else.

If all that's true then the studio expected to recoup about $520m on this film? I just find that hard to believe.

I have no personal stake in this, I'm just disputing the idea that the movie is a bomb. I've seen real bombs.

But fortunately China exists? I don't get the point of this comment. Who cares which country the takings are in? Based on past video game movies, they probably expected to make a lot more in China. In fact that's where Legendary raised the money to make it, and did shitloads of promotion.

Well maybe we should compare it to a good video game movie, like... um...

- - - Updated - - -

No realistic chance of that. It's not a big enough property. Which is why it didn't attract any big name actors.
    Exactly, there are no good video game movies. I doubt Assassins Creed will change that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    Would it be somewhat fair to say that the countries with the highest subs to WoW had the worst turnout for the movie? I'm legitimately asking. I feel like it faceplanted hard because of the amount of actual people who had high expectations for this film which were more than likely WoW players.
    I don't understand, WoW highest subs are in China, China has turned this movie from the flop of all times to the best video game movie release so far.

Well, China is not exactly a beacon of the good taste, so the thought about movies pandering to them is frightening me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Well, China is not exactly a beacon of the good taste, so the thought about movies pandering to them is frightening me.
    You better fucking believe if Warcraft gets sequels, they're going to be designing them with Asian focus groups in mind. I've openly pondered whether they'd take it one step further and just film the whole fucking thing with Chinese actors speaking Chinese but I don't know if the market in China has evolved yet to the point where that's a feasible option.

The Reign Of The Almighty Dollar Is Over, The European Summer is Here.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You better fucking believe if Warcraft gets sequels, they're going to be designing them with Asian focus groups in mind. I've openly pondered whether they'd take it one step further and just film the whole fucking thing with Chinese actors speaking Chinese but I don't know if the market in China has evolved yet to the point where that's a feasible option.
    Yeah, why not just go with Asiancraft

not going to happen, come on, do not get paranoid here. It is just money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    So a horror movie is the beacon of good taste, Force Awakens is such a good taste?

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    Yeah, why not just go with Asiancraft

not going to happen, come on, do not get paranoid here. It is just money.
    Is it really paranoid to believe that if a movie were to get a sequel they wouldn't do whatever they could to market it for the demographic which it was most successful with?

Quote Originally Posted by kamil84 View Post
    The Reign Of The Almighty Dollar Is Over, The European Summer is Here.
    After the Brexit...good luck with that.

Yes, it's true, and no offense, but you are "disputing" from ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Is it really paranoid to believe that if a movie were to get a sequel they wouldn't do whatever they could to market it for the demographic which it was most successful with?
    They tried to pander to them in MOP and it backfired. They lost the most eastern subs with it.