Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

What happens to now? [UK\EU]

So much has been happening in the world of late, so so much ALL OVER, and especially in the last 2 days in our corner, people of Europe and UK would be forgiven for feeling they've been helplessly caught up in quite a seismic shake up, as they have.

Such is life however, full of surprises and changes, that often unsettle us quite a bit when we're not prepared for them or see them coming. But uncertainty is not certain doom, nor is feeling unsettled a confirmation of disaster. So I want to address all of you, to tell you hope is not lost. Change, big change always feels this way, if you've been alive through a war or a tragedy, or any form of great upheaval, good or bad, it feels exactly like this, and when it catches you unawares it feels bad but it doesn't mean or spell doom by any means.

Our lives have become so tightly controlled - if you've lived in the UK and are under 40, you've probably never really experienced massive upheaval and change on this scale, and it can be easy for fear to dominate your mind if you let it, and you listen to fear preachers. So I want to give you a different message. One of hope, Just because it feels this way, doesn't mean it's the end for you or anyone.

Britain is still a part of Europe, and will continues to be so. This vote was not about coming out of Europe, but out of the organisation of the EU. Britain continues to be very much a part of Europe and I can assure you many of us here regardless of how we voted don't hate Europeans nor hate Europe - we just collectively chose to not be a part of the EU, govern ourselves, not to remove ourselves from the continent.

So to the many nations of Europe, Britain doesn't reject you personally, nor hate you, and will continue to desire and seek friendship, interaction and various partnerships even alliances, we are still Europeans, consider ourselves such and will continue to be so, often quite affectionately (in my case for sure), the nation has only decided it doesn't want Union with the EU institution. And so I turn to my fellow Brits. And say to you, arm yourself with courage and hope, you were always destined to determine your own destiny and future, and all is not lost out of the grasp of the EU, and you have much to gain.

Change often presents new opportunities, new avenues, and if you turn your attention away from forecasts of despair, you will see a new dawn and much good you can achieve. What has happened has opened the eyes of many people, it's up to you now to determine how you will proceed.

My encouragement to you is take heart, put one foot infront of the other and you will find you have strength, you determine your future, make good choices concerning your lives, get engaged in your politics, be sober, pursue justice, righteousness, equality and freedom most of all in love. God is on your side, look up to where your help comes from, it comes from the Lord. We are all going to need each other, so be kind and gracious to one another, be also diligent, pursue excellence, be mindful of one other, help and encourage yourselves, don't talk things down or complain it will get you more depressed and it serves no purpose but to drain you of your will and your courage.

So, set your face like flint, focus on the job, focus on what you have going for you, and move forward, you will find that your boundaries have fallen in pleasant places, that you can be strong, that you have help from above and that it will be well.

Rest of Europe, know that neither the In campaign nor Out campaign tolerated haters and racists, they were intolerant to a loud minority, the out campaign kicked out those who were spouting racist and anti-Europe rhetoric despite their anti-EU stance and there is a huge difference. This should encourage you that Britain is not hating Europeans, Britain is not coming out to try and conquer Europe or destroy Europe or anything like that. Those people are going to be sorely disappointed when they realize that Britain's new government is going to be quite intolerant to hate, confusion, deception, and any form of injustice.

If you are in the UK, and in your 30s or under, understand that haters of Europeans did not win, and just because they feel that way and were loud advocates of Brexit DOES NOT mean that this is what was achieved. We did not vote on our love of Europe, but on the body of the EU institution, so don't give in to fear that the racists have won, they haven't, not as long as we're part of this nation, and together ensure that racist, fascist, xenophobes never do, so don't view everyone who voted OUT as such, just because racists were fired up by this. Also don't give in to the fear of doomsayers just because they were loud voices for the In-campaign. If this shows you anything it is that none of "experts" regardless of their area (politics, business, art, science etc), loud doomsayers nor racists, in fact tbh, any of us don't really know the future. So regardless of their tone or no matter how clever or knowledgeable all their credentials and achievements or even self publicising seems to indicate you don't have to believe their terrible forecast. It's not a certainty so don't you dare believe you're doomed. Don't you dare, because you are not! If they're on the media, switch them off, walk away, you need encouragment not depression.

Now is the time to turn to healing, and uniting with each other, life goes on, and we must seize the new chance that has been gifted to us and not fear that we won't be able to cope by ourselves. Britain once led the world in innovation, industry, morality, justice, democracy, freedom, enterprise, literature, sport etc, it did so without an EU organisation. It did so being part of the world and in its own part of Europe, this will continue.

So be brave, you're not alone, you have a lot of help from the unseen, take a step of faith today, you can do it, it is fitting, right and good that you move forward and I want to help you remember that you can and that you are strong, precious and loved.

Same goes for all the other nations in Europe.
    Last edited by Mace; 2016-06-25 at 11:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's solidarity in much of Europe. If not among bureaucrats, among the peoples.
    The UK is still a part of Europe, still a huge economy, and still on good terms with the rest of us politically. The only real obstacle I can see is the EU not wanting to facilitate the same mutually beneficial arrangements as before when they're no longer granted the political power and capital that came with it.

The EU will try to keep others from leaving, which means either turn a cold shoulder to the UK, which screws over everyone including the EU just to make a point and retain power - or be the cooperative, stabilizing, peace keeping organization that they are supposed to be and hope to regain favor.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Revi; 2016-06-25 at 11:32 AM.

What happens to now? [UK\EU]
    This will surely rock the foundation of modern archaeology.

You just left an economical alliance. Obviously, UK and EU will keep cooperating. No need to be hysterical about it. Over-dosed sentiments doesn't exist in international politics. The "love" you think to have for Europeans will transform into a hate in no time, should UK's and the rest of Europe's other nations' interest conflict. This is precisely why an economical alliance was introduced.

There isn't love or hate, there are mutual interests and conflicting interests.

Being a UK citizen I worry for the ethnic minorities who have integrated well for the countless decades only to have been made feel unwelcome. I can't help but think of "First they came for the poles...". This wave of nationalism and unabashed white patriotism must be like a slap in the face for the ordinary non-english person who has been living here for years. We need to create safe spaces for minorities and give them a voice to share their concerns.

If I was a minority in a majority white country that just voted to keep other minorities out I would be deeply worried about my own precarious position.

Not all Brexiters are racist but ALL racists are Brexiters.

Deleted
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    False, actually. I know a lot of racists who voted 'Remain' and have nothing but contempt for those who are not some variant of a minority. Let's not pretend as if the bulk of discrimination is limited to one side in what is a very divisive debate.

Deleted
    Being a UK citizen I worry for the ethnic minorities who have integrated well for the countless decades only to have been made feel unwelcome. I can't help but think of "First they came for the poles...". This wave of nationalism and unabashed white patriotism must be like a slap in the face for the ordinary non-english person who has been living here for years. We need to create safe spaces for minorities and give them a voice to share their concerns.

If I was a minority in a majority white country that just voted to keep other minorities out I would be deeply worried about my own precarious position.

Nationalism, white patriotism, safe spaces, racism, minorities...

You're the reason why Leave won.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post

They're still in waaambulance mode:

Last edited by Zathrendar; 2016-06-25 at 11:45 AM.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

7+ Year Old Account

I happen to know and work with a lot of English born people of Asian, Indian and Pakistani ancestry and virtually all of them were pro brexit and more vocal about supporting it than most. As British citizens they already have a voice and have been using it to good effect. Also if they are born in England, then they are English regardless of their ancestry or colour. For you to describe them as non-english is racist in and of itself.

Deleted
    Well, UK wants to keep all the advantages that came with beeing part of the EU, the EU really can't give it to them since it would create a bad precedence case that would lead every wealthy nation to leave the EU. Why support weaker countries if you can have the gains anyway?
    If the EU gave UK the benefits without the drawbacks the EU would fall apart in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette55 View Post

Leave won because intolerance is rife in the UK and because of immigration fear-mongering.

Let's do this another way?
    Do you believe in evolution or do you think the earth is 6000 year olds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Best case scenario is that England is a bit more of a shittier place than it was.
    No better way to show your contempt for the country than by butchering its language, I'll give you that!

- - - Updated - - -

Leave won because intolerance is rife in the UK and because of immigration fear-mongering.

I believe you lot are still whining about this and will be for years to come. I'll be here to laugh at you.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Worst case scenario Scotland and Irland are leaving the UK and the £ loses again around 20-30% of its value

You seem to be blinded by fear-mongering yourself if your posts in this thread are any indication. Are you denying that there's genuine concerns regarding immigration? Would I be correct in assuming that you, yourself, have never had to deal with the negative impact of poorly handled immigration and integration? It seems like you're getting a lot of your buzzwords from the mainstream media and biased news sources. Which may not be correct, of course - that's just the impression that you're giving off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    Worst case scenario Scotland and Irland are leaving the UK and the £ loses again around 20-30% of its value
    No, worst case scenario (FOR THEM) would be to be rejected by the BoE for joining in the £ and then have them join the zombie region known as the Eurozone.

Scotland is subsidised by England, especially with the oil prices plummeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    That's unlikely. Both will no doubt be best served waiting to see if any other countries leave the EU first. Otherwise they'll just be picking up a higher tab if and when they do join.

Deleted
    I also wonder if Scotland will have another leave vote.
    As far as I know they had 70% wanting to stay in the EU and the vote to leave the UK was pretty close last time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's your loss if you get upset over petty stuff like that.
    Ditto for you doomsayers and your dire prognostications for England.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think england will be slightly worse, that's hardly sandwich board in the streets type of statement.
    It is undergoing short term fluctuations because of the degree of ridiculous over-confidence the financial sector put in the Remain side. Once that clears away, the country can begin building a new future for itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    There's solidarity in much of Europe. If not among bureaucrats, among the peoples.
    The UK is still a part of Europe, still a huge economy, and still on good terms with the rest of us politically. The only real obstacle I can see is the EU not wanting to facilitate the same mutually beneficial arrangements as before when they're no longer granted the political power and capital that came with it.

The EU will try to keep others from leaving, which means either turn a cold shoulder to the UK, which screws over everyone including the EU just to make a point and retain power - or be the cooperative, stabilizing, peace keeping organization that they are supposed to be and hope to regain favor.

We'll see.
    Indeed, and because the UK trades disproportionately more with some EU members than others, said EU members (which already burden much of the cost of maintaining the EU) will be unlikely to cut out one of their biggest clients.