Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    haha http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36629646

EU:If you are going go quick!
    UK Politician who is EU Commissioner for financial services: Fuck this. That Latvian fella can have my job. Toodlepip!

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Then either you are a) a bit thick and your mates are a bit thick or, more likely b) a brexiteer pretending to be thick.
    those nutters who knows nothing about popular culture
    Alternatively: I don't default to "what would an American think" when presented with an expression that is ridiculously commonplace, and my interactions with popular culture are wider and more diverse than yours.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    I am pretty certain the PM that initialized the vote never actually wanted to leave the EU, he wanted a better deal. He wanted to scare the EU so they would give the UK whatever they asked for just so they won't leave.
    He negotiated such deals, but his own citizens backstabbed him. btw: the deals are gone now, says EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    haha http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36629646

EU:If you are going go quick!
    UK Politician who is EU Commissioner for financial services: Fuck this. That Latvian fella can have my job. Toodlepip!
    Lord Hill is not pleased, but follows the decision of his people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    So thick people thought that Independence Day referred to independence from the EU, when it was used in respect of a referendum about independence from the EU?

And now you are saying it was in reference to a film about independence from aliens? What happened to it being about US Independence Day from Britain? Did you forget about that argument?
    You are being deliberately thick here. You know very well the original film and its sequel are notorious for mawkish displayers of american patriotism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Alternatively: I don't default to "what would an American think" when presented with an expression that is ridiculously commonplace, and my interactions with popular culture are wider and more diverse than yours.
    Apparently not so diverse that you typed the word into google or visited a cinema.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are being deliberately thick here. You know very well the original film and its sequel are notorious for mawkish displayers of american patriotism.
    They were quite clearly referring to independence from the EU though, so it is somewhat ironic that you call others thick when it was you who made the error.

You didn't understand. It isn't that the issue was complex. It was that both alterrnaives were unacceptable.

You have a choice between voting for the least worst option or not voting. In the former case you give a mandate to feckless, idle greedy bureaucrats. In the latter case you "didn't vote so you can't complain".
    Are you aware that one can vote - showing that he cares enough about the future of his nation to move his ass - whilst willingly nullify his vote, i.e. by crossing both choices, telling the world that both choices disgusted him. Not going to vote at all is the lazier version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I kinda gotta giggle that you think he gave me full detail. Funny btw, someone tells you he spoke to an europarlementarier on a party and you imediately assume hes bullshitting you because... hes on MMO-champ?

For all you know im the president of Denmark. Or Obama's wife.
    Obviously not the first, since Denmark doesn't have a president - they have a queen and prime minister!

But there are MEPs and I wouldn't think it illogical that they are at parties. Hope you recognized him/her as such, it's a bit embarrassing otherwise - e.g. when I sat next to a nobel laureate at a party and didn't realize it.

Deleted
    Most Leave voters are racist. There are some exceptions, but it was obvious about 70% of them were fairly stupid, unreconstructed racists of the "I'm not a racist...BUT..." variety.

If you watched the debates you'd notice that being controlled by an outside country wasn't the issue for the Leave campaign. On numerous occassions they expressed a desire to crawl ever further up the arse of the Americans. Hell, they even wanted to name the day of the vote "Independence day". You have to be one confused idiot to name a British national holiday after an American holiday commemorating a British defeat.
    You do know America didn't coin the name Independence Day? Many nations have a Independence Day

I always roll my eyes at people criticizing british nationalism whilst being proud of their eu fanaticism. A union that places europeans above non europeans.

Deleted
    Right Kallis, so when Farage/Johnson mentioned Independence day you immediately thought of Rhodesian independence day?, or something. Everyone watching that I know thought of US independence day, apart from some people who thought Boris was quoting lines from the end of the film of that name.
    Then they're idiots for not understanding history

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Yeah, anything else would be hypocrisy.
    What's a region of a country not in the eu which was seized by a country not in the eu got to do with a country leaving the eu?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    What joke? That silly people immediately thought HURDUR AMERICA or ALIENS?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Most of your/our demographic also voted to remain.

The poll was off on the total result - so obviously it will not be correct for the demographics either; both because of the systematic error and because there is a large sampling error in each age-group.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were backing up their previous argument, my point quite obviously referred to that, which apparently you missed. The irony...it burns.

Deleted
    I think the UK's economy will come crashing down. This is only the beginning. Scotland will feel duped by the UK, they'll probably have a second referendum on leaving the UK, this time winning. This will be the second blow to the UK. Maybe Northern Ireland will do the same. I can't see how the UK will survive this insanity.

Deleted
    Well it's not an intentional joke exactly but it's grim humour given that Britain has killed so many people depriving of/preventing them having independence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Then to celebrate their "independence" from the EU in such a way is laughable.
    Except that wasn't what advanta was saying besides what's amusing about that? So what that UK were oppressors once?
    Last edited by mmoc1f234b9ee4; 2016-06-25 at 04:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You just left an economical alliance. Obviously, UK and EU will keep cooperating. No need to be hysterical about it. Over-dosed sentiments doesn't exist in international politics. The "love" you think to have for Europeans will transform into a hate in no time, should UK's and the rest of Europe's other nations' interest conflict. This is precisely why an economical alliance was introduced.

There isn't love or hate, there are mutual interests and conflicting interests.
    I have to agree. I think eventually the UK and EU will become more hostile towards eachother. Maybe not now or next year, but it will come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's not an intentional joke exactly but it's grim humour given that Britain has killed so many people depriving of/preventing them having independence
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Then to celebrate their "independence" from the EU in such a way is laughable.
    Lots of countries have gained independence from lots of things, we prefer to do it through the ballot box rather than the bullet or bomb, because we are civilised.

Deleted
    Perhaps judging by comments here we should raise the voting age to 21 or 25. We could hold a referendum but I imagine the 18-25 crowd won't vote for totally legitimate reasons

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Lots of countries have gained independence from lots of things, we prefer to do it through the ballot box rather than the bullet or bomb, because we are civilised.
    Can I just point out that Kallis is an ex-patriate, unlike me, Boris Johnson and Farage and therefore isn't subject to the current multi-million pound advertising campagn for the film "independence day 2" which features mostly Americans fighting aliens. It is impossible to turn on a tv, use the internet or visit any shopping precinct without being subjected to it, even if you have no interest in it at all.

Farage and Johnson may be weird but they do live here and couldn't possibly fail to have noticed it. The frequent grovelling sycophancy mentioned during the debates by leave campaigners gave the very strong impression that the use of the term "independence day" was American in origin.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-06-25 at 04:46 PM.