Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I still drive a 2001 Toyota Tundra, and my wife a 2006 BMW 330i. I buy new cars first before I back any of these people.

I guess the question is how would we go about fixing that system so people can still crowdfund but can better trust/know who to trust as far as that funding? Off the top of my head:
    -can you see a history on that kickstarter of previous projects they have successfully made using Kickstarted funds?
    -can legal action be taken against people who "take the money and run"? (I assume not, or this wouldn't be a problem, right?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I never have and I doubt I ever will give money to a crowdfunded game.

I just can't really get behind paying for something before it ever even exists. The scammers don't really mean anything to me as I would never give money to a developer/studio with literally no name whatsoever... And while the known/well-known developers might deliver disappointments, that hardly constitutes a scam.
    I am the same, but I will never give money away unless there is a chance of financial gain. I will never jump on this "crowdfunding" and "early access" hype train.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I guess the question is how would we go about fixing that system so people can still crowdfund but can better trust/know who to trust as far as that funding? Off the top of my head:
    -can you see a history on that kickstarter of previous projects they have successfully made using Kickstarted funds?
    -can legal action be taken against people who "take the money and run"? (I assume not, or this wouldn't be a problem, right?)
    The main question is how to proof they scammed. Could they not just turn around and say "it was a bad idea, was not working, so we scrapped it".

I love when people tell me I'm an idiot for not believing a little tube can let you breathe underwater forever.

Cause if that shot was possible, the government wouldn't be interested right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Legal action, so far, can't be taken against blatant scams. So long as you don't outright say "this was a scam" (the video gave some examples of this), then it's not a scam, more or less. It's really muddy and grey, it seems.

Nothing wrong with crowdfunding, but it requires more of the end-user. Maybe having a FAQ isn't enough, maybe there needs to be confirmation dialogues which reminds the user of the risks before they fund anything.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    When I back people on Kickstarter/GoFundMe, etc, I realize that there is a good chance the product will not be released. I give enough money that it is at least somewhat meaningful, but that won't break the bank, with 0 expectations. If I back the project, idea/person, etc, that is all I am doing. Backing the idea, or person. The "result" is an added bonus.
    You get it. Kickstarter is not about buying a product. It is about taking a chance on someone you think might make it.

Well there's debacles like Mighty Number Nine to consider, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I wouldn't trust any game, tech or feminism related kickstarter, sadly. There's just been so many big scams running off with tons of money. It's a real shame, because it ruins it for everyone honest.
    There are times when you can trust it, however you have to put in a lot of research an have a little faith. Yooka Laylee for example, it's a game that was going to come out either way and its made by industry veterans with a good track record who outlined their whole plan and gave a lot of details. These are the kinds of things you should trust, they have everything planned out and even if they didn't get your money they were still going to try go through with it.

Many of the failed kickstarters are nowhere near as planned out, and expect you to just trust them and donate to them based on name recognition or "because my idea is so cool an innovative and you will love it". However, as MN9 and a few others have shown that's a bad idea. You need to act like an investor instead of a fan and only give them money if you can really REALLY trust them with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ConradSlater View Post
    Because it's totally plausible to get a loan of hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a video game or something, right...?
    A loan for such a project is normally stupid, both for the bank and the developer.

Selling shares in it makes more sense:
    Assume the project is a 50-50 of actually working - with a loan you would need 100% interest rate to make it even break even - if someone accepts such interest rates there is something odd with the company. With shares you get part of the profit - and you care whether it doubles or triples the investment.

Some banks do such investments as well, but there are also other such investors. Obviously if your plan is almost certain to succeed you might get a lot lower interest rate - but I don't see how that would be the case for video games.

Financially kickstarters seem at best like loans (at worst just giving money away). If you pledge 20$ and will get something retailing for 25$ you are basically lending with 25% interest rate (assuming they don't sell below retail value...). It might also give you a warm fuzzy feeling - or make you feel robbed.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2016-06-23 at 07:02 AM.

Yeah but you're still selling yourself to an outsider investor who will want returns on their shares.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like a lot of video game kickstarters fail, though.

Deleted
    I wouldn't invest a penny into a kickstarter

So, basically... Anita Sarkeesian.

I've done 18 so far, all tabletop game related, and had no problems except for minor delays on some of them. Yes it can be a bit of a gamble but the money I have saved compared to paying retail is considerable so I'm definitely up at the moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    So, basically... Anita Sarkeesian.
    She's a great businesswoman. Scammed people into funding her. Now makes a fortune out of clickbait trolling pathetic beta males.

I'd invest in her if there was any prospect of her paying any profits back, which she wouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ConradSlater View Post
    Hey dude's long time lurker here but I suddenly came across this video where this guy talks about Kickstarter scams and in the midst of the whole Mighty Number 9 thing I thought this community might like it.........
    This is really just a "Investor risk in investment shock" video.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    This is really just a "Investor risk in investment shock" video.
    What do you mean?

Crowd funding in general is a scam. You're paying money for a promise and none of the benefits (or protections) actual investors get. Its why they turn to crowdsourcing. No one was willing invest in their bullshit.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

Super Troopers 2 is the only crowd funded project with a special place in my heart.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Spunt View Post
    Crowd funding in general is a scam. You're paying money for a promise and none of the benefits (or protections) actual investors get. Its why they turn to crowdsourcing. No one was willing invest in their bullshit.
    This is an incredibly ignorant post.
    Last edited by ConradSlater; 2016-06-25 at 08:42 PM.