10+ Year Old Account

GTX 970 comparison (mini vs. asus strix full one)

I've been googling a bit and finding some info but not enough to help really. I built a computer a while back with this card: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G

and it sags horribly, enough to where it actually affects the card and it will cause the screen to tear and the computer will crash and you have to pull it up to get it to stop, but it has a sweet spot, can't just pull it up all the way.

Thinking about getting a replacement but if the issue persists because of the sagging, I'm wondering if I should just get a GTX 970 mini version, or a smaller card. I read that you can't overclock the mini, but that's fine. Don't want to do like super ENB Skyrim with 4k resolution, just want to sport stuff like WoW, Warframe and the like with max graphics settings.

Any help regarding this? Would be extremely appreciated.

Edited link to show the Asus Strix card, not the mini. My bad.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-06-25 at 06:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

15+ Year Old Account
    Ehrm... that card sags? That doesn't seem right.

Are you sure it's not your PCIe slot that's broken?
    It's far more logical to see that sag than an ASUS ITX version.

The ITX version is very rigid and for it to sag would require the PCB being at melting point or broken at the pins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had a strix 970 before I got my 1080 and had zero issues with it for the year+ I was using it (except the coil whine)
    I'd definitely check your slots like Deffy mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I have 2 strix 970's, one is refurbished, and I have had zero problems with them in the year I've had them.
    CPU: Intel i9-14900k | MOBO: ASUS RoG Strix Z790-F
    GPU: ASUS Strix 4070 TI Super | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR5 32GB
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TBx3 | PSU: Corsair HX 1200i Platinum | CASE: Lian Li 011 EVO
    DISPLAY: Triple 27" Monitors | ASUS Swift ROG PG2780 27" 1440p - 2x BenQ 27" IPS 1440p

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the motherboard it was plugged into: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NH05UW It's part of the setup of the month.

No matter what slot it's plugged into, and securely fit into the back, it sags. So...Idunno what to do. Currently I have the card not even in the case and the computer's working fine. I just can't play any games.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-06-25 at 06:12 PM.
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    I've been googling a bit and finding some info but not enough to help really. I built a computer a while back with this card: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RL2SLAG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

and it sags horribly, enough to where it actually affects the card and it will cause the screen to tear and the computer will crash and you have to pull it up to get it to stop, but it has a sweet spot, can't just pull it up all the way.

Thinking about getting a replacement but if the issue persists because of the sagging, I'm wondering if I should just get a GTX 970 mini version, or a smaller card. I read that you can't overclock the mini, but that's fine. Don't want to do like super ENB Skyrim with 4k resolution, just want to sport stuff like WoW, Warframe and the like with max graphics settings.

Any help regarding this? Would be extremely appreciated.
    How the hell is a slotted card sagging? Please, post a photo.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the motherboard it was plugged into: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012NH05UW It's part of the setup of the month.

No matter what slot it's plugged into, and securely fit into the back, it sags. So...Idunno what to do. Currently I have the card not even in the case and the computer's working fine. I just can't play any games.
    The GTX 970 Mini from ASUS is too tiny and rigid to sag, I think you may have a physically busted card.
    I have no other explanation for it's loss of rigidity if it's not a full length variant.

A lot of full length graphics cards sag a bit, generally not that big of a concern but never such a tiny variant.

So if I were you I'd check the card properly for any signs of physical damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Ehrm... that card sags? That doesn't seem right.

Are you sure it's not your PCIe slot that's broken?
    It's far more logical to see that sag than an ASUS ITX version.

The ITX version is very rigid and for it to sag would require the PCB being at melting point or broken at the pins.
    The GTX 970 Mini from ASUS is too tiny and rigid to sag, I think you may have a physically busted card.
    I have no other explanation for it's loss of rigidity if it's not a full length variant.

A lot of full length graphics cards sag a bit, generally not that big of a concern but never such a tiny variant.

So if I were you I'd check the card properly for any signs of physical damage.
    Oh sorry, derp, my link was messed up. THIS is the card lol: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G

The Asus Strix one. :P That one sags. Was wondering if I could find a smaller alternative for a 970, like the mini, or maybe even this one maybe: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-.../dp/B00NVODXR4
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-06-25 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    It's quite common to see up to 5mm drop in one corner if the card is really heavy, though usually those are full lenght cards. There is a reason for all those PCI-E support brackets people are making.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry, derp, my link was messed up. THIS is the card lol: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJ9BJ8G
    Mm, DirectCU II is a heavy heatsink and the PCB is wider than the back support.. So some sagging is to be expected.

15+ Year Old Account

The Asus Strix one. :P That one sags. Was wondering if I could find a smaller alternative for a 970, like the mini, or maybe even this one maybe: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-.../dp/B00NVODXR4
    That makes more sense.

Well if the card sags and is causing issues you should apply for RMA as it's a product defect.
    If you're out of warranty and live in the US/Canada then you're SoL.

If that's the case I recommend you get a new graphics card but wait until the 29th of June when the AMD RX 480 is fully released.
    It's supposed to be better than the GTX 980 and trading blows with the R9 Fury cards for only 200 USD WITH ample stock.

More information HERE!

Buying a new GTX 970 would be a waste of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Mm, DirectCU II is a heavy heatsink and the PCB is wider than the back support.. So some sagging is to be expected.
    Right, was used to sagging in another rig but this one will literally cause the computer to freeze up and crash if it's not sitting juuuuust right. Gonna RMA it I think but I'm not sure it'll make a difference since the Strix is so beefy/heavy.

That makes more sense.

Well if the card sags and is causing issues you should apply for RMA as it's a product defect.
    If you're out of warranty and live in the US/Canada then you're SoL.

If that's the case I recommend you get a new graphics card but wait until the 29th of June when the AMD RX 480 is fully released.
    It's supposed to be better than the GTX 980 and trading blows with the R9 Fury cards for only 200 USD WITH ample stock.

More information HERE!

Buying a new GTX 970 would be a waste of money.
    The thing I'm a bit concerned about is if it's just gonna sag no matter how many cards I go through. I normally expect sagging in cards like the Strix but never really seen sagging be an issue that causes the computer to be unusable regardless of what PCI-E slot it's in.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2016-06-25 at 07:03 PM.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I've got the ASUS Strix 970, and it sagged a bit - a heavy heat sink on it. But I just took a bit of dowel, painted it black and used that to prop up my card to be level. Don't notice the dowel, and no sag. I had no issues from the sag, it was just for aesthetics why I propped it up.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Cards can be very heavy tbh and is only supported by 2 sides (PCI Bus and Output panel), there are brackets that people can purchase to help support the card. If there is sagging, it should only be on the opposite corner of the card from the output panel.

However even with a bit of sagging (nothing extreme), the card should still work unless the PCI Bus is broken or something. Ultimately, I don't blame the card here. My bet is on the motherboard. But yea pictures would help.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Cards can be very heavy tbh and is only supported by 2 sides (PCI Bus and Output panel), there are brackets that people can purchase to help support the card. If there is sagging, it should only be on the opposite corner of the card from the output panel.

However even with a bit of sagging (nothing extreme), the card should still work unless the PCI Bus is broken or something. Ultimately, I don't blame the card here. My bet is on the motherboard. But yea pictures would help.
    I did a quick google search after seeing mrgreenthump's reply to my post. Plenty of examples out there. Some of the examples laughably extreme. First I had heard of it though, but, a google search did confirm just how common it actually is.

Deleted
    'Hang' the card from the PCI-e power cable at the rear. Support the cable to the 5 1/4 disc carrier at the top of the chassis with a zip tie and you are done. The power cable is easily strong enough to carry a bit of weight when inserted into the power connector.

Did you properly tighten down the two mounting bracket screws (without over tightening, of course)? I have the same card as you, and without the rear support it barely sags a few mm. Didn't measure it but it isn't enough to cause any worry. Just added the cable 'brace' for completeness.

One option is that your cabinet is really flimsy and cannot properly support the torque generated by the weight of the card.

I can probably conjure up a photo of the 'free' cable support, if you wish.