Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mac Users: Unsub or Upgrade

If you're a wow player who uses an older Mac model, its time to upgrade or unsub. I dunno if you tried to get into the PTR or Beta, but legion has a really bad game breaking bug where people with old mac's can't log into the game. The game freezes somewhere between the log in and character selection screen.

Blizz knows about the problem, and i saw a blue post dating back to Mid May of them trying to fix it, they mentioned how the problem is on apple's side and they contacted apple trying to work the problem, but that was back in Mid May and still no fix with Legion only 2 months away.

If this doesn't get fixed, its time to upgrade your computer.

For reference i use a 2010 Macbook Pro. If you don't know if this affects you, try to log into the ptr.

I'm not the only one, there are at least 2 threads a day popping up about the problem, its not much but there are players out there using older mac's.

Here is the Blue Post:
    We’ve encountered a bug with older NVIDIA hardware that may affect select Mac users from launching the Legion beta. This hardware is below Legion’s minimum requirements and may cause issues for these users. Please note that we have made Apple aware of this issue though there is no current ETA on when this will be resolved.

Affected Cards:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800, NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M , NVIDIA GeForce 9400M , NVIDIA GeForce 9400
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20744174367
    Last edited by Syero; 2016-06-25 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syero View Post
    If you're a wow player who uses an older Mac model, its time to upgrade or unsub. I dunno if you tried to get into the PTR or Beta, but legion has a really bad game breaking bug where people with old mac's can't log into the game. The game freezes somewhere between the log in and character selection screen.

Blizz knows about the problem, and i saw a blue post dating back to March of them trying to fix it, they mentioned how the problem is on apple's side and they contacted apple trying to work the problem, but that was back in March and still no fix with Legion only 2 months away.

If this doesn't get fixed, its time to upgrade your computer.

For reference i use a 2010 Macbook Pro. If you don't know if this affects you, try to log into the ptr.

I'm not the only one, there are at least 2 threads a day popping up about the problem, its not much but there are players out there using older mac's.
    A link to a blue thread would help.

Also, honestly, 2010 is six years. I do love how long Macs remain serviceable but I wouldn't really blame Blizzard if they drew the line at something 4 years old or so (FWIW I play casually... on a 2013 Macbook Air. It gets ~ 30-40FPS on Good settings).

10+ Year Old Account
    just linked it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syero View Post
    just linked it
    Thanks!......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yeah..I guess that is always the question when your comp is old.
    i like being able to run the game on a toaster though :P

Then upgrade. Forcing yourself to run it well below the system requirements is just stupid. Get a better mac or spend money on a windows rig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Then upgrade. Forcing yourself to run it well below the system requirements is just stupid. Get a better mac or spend money on a windows rig.
    Or, if you don't have the $$ to buy a new Mac and do have the disk space, blow $90 on a Windows license and run it in Bootcamp.

PS: For Mac people - Macs tend to sell for 50-70% of their new price when 3 or 4 years old. It drops off after that, so one strategy is to simply plan on buying a new Mac every 3 or 4 years and budget about half the price of a new one.

This is the trade off for over paying for cute looking junk!

Do a worthless shit buy-->Blame Blizzard-->Blizzard answers it Apple's side-->Apple of course doesnt care-->Unsub.

Moral of the story, dont buy junk.

And i wont go in that argument, everything made by apple is literally junk compared to what you can get with half the money.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Do a worthless shit buy-->Blame Blizzard-->Blizzard answers it Apple's side-->Apple of course doesnt care-->Unsub.

Moral of the story, dont buy junk.

And i wont go in that argument, everything made by apple is literally junk compared to what you can get with half the money.
    Poor people say apple is a junk products
    Last edited by nomorepriest; 2016-06-25 at 08:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Poor people say apple is a junk products
    Nah, people that have any sense whatsoever when it comes to computers say that Apple products are junk. Last I checked, the highest end Mac available was around 1/3 as powerful as my computer, for about 4x the price. It's not about money. I could afford Apple stuff if I wanted to. I just choose to not throw money away when I can get something much better for cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    None gives a fuck what you think of Apple products. Really, people, grow up. Don't like Apple stuff? Great, don't buy it - but shitting in every thread about them is just fucking immature.

Hopefully for Apple fans there will be an upgrade on the aging macbook line. Always sad to see the current model that lands on my desk for configuration is the same from two years ago. MB pro 15" needs access to at least a current intel processor and iris iGPU while preferably a dedicated GPU option instead of having to go to the 17" model.

If reading correctly the issue is with two factors. One the increased system requirements and a bug whose issues is being pointed at Apple to fix. Sounds likely nothing will be done and in the off chance apple does resolve the issue the game performance will be painful.

Curious OP, how does WoD perform for you now in dungeon and raid settings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post

Curious OP, how does WoD perform for you now in dungeon and raid settings?
    I usually get 20 to 28 fps on the setting above low, I think that's called good or something along those lines

I had this problem with the PTR at first. I just had to wait until it was fully downloaded and it worked fine.

Wait, so my Super Nintendo can't run Legion!?

Just don't buy a Mac if u need it just for gaming. Is a huge waste of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halobob87 View Post
    Just don't buy a Mac if u need it just for gaming. Is a huge waste of money.
    I'd agree... if you're getting a computer just for gaming you want a Windows PC. But many of us use Macs for other reasons and other things and rather than buy a separate computer just to game with, we use the Mac we have for work, etc. I do that.

Yes, this means were' not (mostly) hardcore 'gamers' who have dozens of games on our computer. Some, I'm sure, do. Others just use the Mac. Some of us have consoles for whatever reason.

Deleted
    or: install bootcamp

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    None gives a fuck what you think of Apple products. Really, people, grow up. Don't like Apple stuff? Great, don't buy it - but shitting in every thread about them is just fucking immature.
    Not really, trying to warn people against them.