Thread: Shark fin soup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have less issues with it if it didnt often use blatantly cruel techniques, and done so often our shark population is decreasing rather fast. Sharks are rather necessary to a healthy ecosystem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    That emotional attachment is only there because you made it there, otherwise eating dog isn't that different to eating cow or pig.
    Except that dogs are dubbed "man's best friend" for a reason, they're one of the most intelligent species on earth and a dog that you have a bond with will often sacrifice themselves to save your life if you're in danger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    Except that dogs are dubbed "man's best friend" for a reason, they're one of the mostly intelligent species on earth and a dog that you have a bond with will often sacrifice themselves to save your life if you're in danger.
    Completely culture dependent though. If your culture doesnt really see dogs as special, you're not going to have much reservations as a potential food source.

Kinda like horses. Some see them as legit food sources, while here in Texas they're companions / work animals.

Except that dogs are dubbed "man's best friend" for a reason, they're one of the most intelligent species on earth and a dog that you have a bond with will often sacrifice themselves to save your life if you're in danger.
    I would like to think my pet cow would do the same thing for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Non of that matters, it is legal to eat dog in China, they certainly don't see them as best friend as you do. What you are doing is enforce YOUR opinion onto them. They don't see dog as human's best friend as you do, they see it just another meat.

If I go to China for holiday I most certain would try it just so I have tried it.

I would tell all my friends about it too just to see their disgusted face.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Wow...this and throwing finless sharks back into the water, sounds horrible

I've never tried shark fin soup, but I'll definitely never even think about trying it.
    From what I remember, it is not the crabbers that do it, but those who raise and grow crabs in tanks.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Completely culture dependent though. If your culture doesnt really see dogs as special, you're not going to have much reservations as a potential food source.

Kinda like horses. Some see them as legit food sources, while here in Texas they're companions / work animals.
    Some cultures are into cannibalism, guess it's all good as long as your culture deems it appropriate.

To most people, cannibalism is one of the most terrifying concepts imaginable, but for some members of the Korowai tribe from Indonesian New Guinea, human flesh is a dish central to their culture, like a Sunday roast or a kebab at the end of a night out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I've never seen a crab with fins.
    Thats because they remove all the fins off the crabs before you see it you silly man!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Some cultures are into cannibalism, guess it's all good as long as your culture deems it appropriate.

To most people, cannibalism is one of the most terrifying concepts imaginable, but for some members of the Korowai tribe from Indonesian New Guinea, human flesh is a dish central to their culture, like a Sunday roast or a kebab at the end of a night out.
    as long as the human wasnt murdered, they can do what they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    as long as the human wasnt murdered, they can do what they want.
    I'm sure they don't see ritual sacrifice of anything of the sort as *murder*...does that make it okay?

Deleted
    I ate fried shark wins, was kindy chewy, like beef jerky I guess, nothing extraordinary, but okay.
    Wouldn't order it for myself though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    I'm sure they don't see ritual sacrifice of anything of the sort as *murder*...does that make it okay?
    In the same vein as female circumcision isnt ok either but it happens in other parts of the world. But Im in no point of power to do anything about it. I can, however, boycott sharkfin soup.

but as far as Im aware, there arent any societies that have people forcefully sacrificed anymore.

As a carnivor myself, I say it's fine to eat anything so long as it can be farmed. I didn't watch the OP's vid but I'm sure it touched on how endangered some species of sharks are.

If they can raise sharks in fisheries, eat away. Take a creature out of the ocean's ecology, you end up screwing far more species than that one. This applies to anything, not just sharks.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the same vein as female circumcision isnt ok either but it happens in other parts of the world. But Im in no point of power to do anything about it. I can, however, boycott sharkfin soup.

but as far as Im aware, there arent any societies that have people forcefully sacrificed anymore.
    Well you never know...I guess just feel it's kinda weird to eat a person under any circumstances unless it's a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you eat shark fin soup? I was watching a documentary that Gordon Ramsay did back in 2011 on shark fin soup and it was quite unbelievable how bad that industry is. I'm glad he made the video to raise awareness of the damage that this industry is causing. Now if only people would listen to the information in the video.
    I used to eat it often in the solomon islands before the hoopla. It was really good TBH, but not so good you need to extinct a species for it and not exactly top of the soup list either. I do not understand why it is a delicacy.

Obviously today I would not eat it on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Thats because they remove all the fins off the crabs before you see it you silly man!
    Sometimes these forums are just a pleasure to read lol.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2016-06-25 at 10:34 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I find it inhumane that some of them would cut the fins off and throw the sharks back in the water alive with no fins.
    Do you think the Chinese really give a shit about whether or not we think they are cruel to animals? I highly doubt it. Still, it is pretty stupid what they do to the sharks.

Yeah I watched the documentary. Very good doc. Basically shark fins have no nutritional value and you are really eating it for the broth. It used to be for elites or royalty in China but now since more and more people are acquiring wealth they can afford or want to eat the soup as a status symbol. Very much the same as rhino horn, which is of course is the same as human nails (keratin).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    As a carnivor myself, I say it's fine to eat anything so long as it can be farmed. I didn't watch the OP's vid but I'm sure it touched on how endangered some species of sharks are.

If they can raise sharks in fisheries, eat away. Take a creature out of the ocean's ecology, you end up screwing far more species than that one. This applies to anything, not just sharks.
    Shark fins have no nutritional value. The fin is all cartilage and the only taste comes from the broth or whatever is added.

Actually, yes. "Appropriateness', or rather, what a society deems appropriate is totally a matter of custom.

There is no such thing a morality that comes from some sacred mountain top or that is universally applicable- we, humans, make it all up. All of which can vary by culture and custom entirely.

I tried Shark Fin soup. It was not very good to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Actually, yes. "Appropriateness', or rather, what a society deems appropriate is totally a matter of custom.

There is no such thing a morality that comes from some sacred mountain top or that is universally applicable- we, humans, make it all up. All of which can vary by culture and custom entirely.

I tried Shark Fin soup. It was not very good to me.
    There's a thing called Empathy though that most human's naturally have, along with the other 60+ Emotions.

"Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another being (a human or non-human animal) is experiencing from within the other being's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's position"

Affection Anger Angst Anguish Annoyance Anxiety Apathy Arousal Awe Boredom Confidence Contempt Contentment Courage Curiosity Depression Desire Despair Disappointment Disgust Distrust Ecstasy Embarrassment Empathy Envy Euphoria Fear Frustration Gratitude Grief Guilt Happiness Hatred Hope Horror Hostility Humiliation Hysteria Interest Jealousy Loneliness Love Lust Outrage Panic Passion Pity Pleasure Pride Rage Regret Remorse Resentment Sadness Saudade Schadenfreude Self-confidence Shame Shock Shyness Sorrow Suffering Surprise Trust Wonder Worry

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    I had the errr... privilege to try it while in China. Didn't taste like anything. Apparently they eat it just because #YOLOItsShark.