Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    So did the UK actually leave? Are the paperworks filed?
    Nope.

Currently we don't even really have anyone with the power to trigger article 50.
    We need a new prime minister first.

i love all the calls for a second vote! hey the vote wasn't what i expected lets do it again!!! Damn wish would do that again with the last prez elections and likely need it for the coming one....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Cameron stepped down, or will be stepping down before the Conservative Party Conference in October, whoever replaces him will "file the paperwork" as it were, after that we've got 2 years of trying to seperate ourselves from the EU at minimum, after that, who knows.

Some people are saying we'll get it done in the 2 years, some people are saying it'll take up to a decade, no one actually knows though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but the process takes a while to finish.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    i love all the calls for a second vote! hey the vote wasn't what i expected lets do it again!!! Damn wish would do that again with the last prez elections and likely need it for the coming one....

Some of the voters now say they would change their opinion. If you can gather 1 million of such votes, you are clear of Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Nope.

Currently we don't even really have anyone with the power to trigger article 50.
    Huh? I thought Cameron only wanted to resign in autumn? Isn't he still PM?

Deleted
    There's a couple of things that were wrong with the referendum. My major bone of contention was it excluding very settled EU people who are here and have been for a very long time.

I really don't see how the Conservatives could have a do over without it really damaging them. Much of their voter base still buys into "The lady is not for turning!" spiel.

As expensive as this mistake might turn out to be I am all for people learning from their mistakes. Bed's made, lie in it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Yes, but the process takes a while to finish.
    You have more information than us then, please provide a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Cameron stepped down, or will be stepping down before the Conservative Party Conference in October, whoever replaces him will "file the paperwork" as it were, after that we've got 2 years of trying to seperate ourselves from the EU at minimum, after that, who knows.

Some people are saying we'll get it done in the 2 years, some people are saying it'll take up to a decade, no one actually knows though.
    Quote Originally Posted by article 50
    3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period
    Longer than two years from the date of triggering article 50 might be pushing it. We'd be relying on unanimous votes for extensions to negotiations at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yes, but it's not looking very likely that he's going to be the one to trigger it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Some of the voters now say they would change their opinion. If you can gather 1 million of such votes, you are clear of Brexit.
    Coercing voters to change their mind is authoritarian.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    use "brain mk. 1" ?

Deleted
    That would be anti-democratic, the many millions of Brexit voters wouldn't stand for it.
    The UK and most supposedly democratic nations don't meet the standard for democracy in any real sense.

The UK is a capitalist state. You can't do anything without capital. You can't pay for the infratstructure of a political party, you can't print leaflets, you can't promote your manifesto.

Access to information is mostly controlled by a relatively few powerful corporate interests. Elections are without exception decided by the media for that reason-it is impossible for the public to know what is truly going on, and they get a very selective view of events.

I don't want another referendum but democracy? Please. Iran offers more choice to its people than we get here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You need a link to understand the process takes a long time? It's like when you vote for a president and they win, they don't instantly become president in that moment.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    You need a link to understand the process takes a long time? It's like when you vote for a president and they win, they don't instantly become president in that moment.

nov until jan 20 in USA. But still not as much paperwork as article 50.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Nope.

You dident read the news?

Today on 25 july the founder nations of the EU came together in berlin i think to discusse further steps.

The first statement from them was that the whant to get the negotiations with the UK fast done so the can focus on the reforms for the EU.

Looks like the dont give the UK a second chanse
    Last edited by Durandir; 2016-06-25 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yes but unless anything major happens that requires a recall then between now and October there really isn't much that's going to happen in Parliament. Parliament will come back on the 27th, but will have less than month until the summer break. After the break we have the Party conferences in which the leader will likely be chosen and before anyone knows it October will be around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    nov until jan 20 in USA. But still not as much paperwork as article 50.
    ha, 2 fingers raised at "the elite" turns into lawyers laughing themselves silly at the cash cow that just walked into the barn

Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    You dident read the news?

Today on 25 july the founder nations of the EU came together in berlin i think to discusse further steps.

The first staement of them was that tha whant to get the negotiations with the UK fast done so the can focus on the reforms for the EU.
    It's not up to them.

Only the nation that wants to leave can trigger article 50. They can want it all they like, but a leaving nation has to leave of their own accord. There are no provisions for kicking them out.

As an aside - until article 50 is triggered no EU nation is under any obligation whatsoever to negotiate with the leaving nation.

It's a stalemate until the request to leave is sent.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-06-25 at 09:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I don't want another referendum but democracy? Please. Iran offers more choice to its people than we get here.
    I mean thats just straight up bullshit, but whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    I really don't see how the Conservatives could have a do over without it really damaging them.
    They can do pretty much anything they want while they have the support of the corporations and the media.

Recall the last general election which the Tories won on the promise of a popular call to curb immigration. Last year had the highest level of immigration ever. No one even batted an eyelid.
    Contrast this with the wave of constant attacks on the genuine outsider Jeremy Corbyn: incessant daily assaults on the most ridiculous non-issues. When it was reported David Cameron had fucked a dead pig it was almost ignored. Even the Kremlin doesn't propagandize to this level.