Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It's always been a joke but there like a dozen people who are serious about it.
    not even many of the Republicans are for it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    They should do it
    No kidding. They can go away. We don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    cmon, you cant lay it on THAT thick off the bat.
    Remember when trolling used to be an art where you were not sure if serious?

Texas will never leave the US and has never wanted to leave. Its just the rumblings of an extremely small percent of wack jobs making noise.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Remember when trolling used to be an art where you were not sure if serious?
    Many many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Texas has about 30 million armed and well-trained gun enthusiasts and probably closer to 50 million once the Texans living "abroad" in other states repatriate back home. If they seceded, the first thing they would do is raise a massive army and likely conquer the other 49 states who are scared of guns.
    No the first thing they would do is be in a full on losing war with the cartels.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    As stupid as Texas can be sometimes, we are generally more of an economic boon than the rest of the south due to our diverse business interests and various industries.
    Texas is perhaps the most urbanized of the conservative states, but the urban centers of the state would more than likely favor staying within the Federal union because of the various tax and interstate trade incentives. And even if secession were possible, urban-located businesses would be the first to pick up and leave if the state actually seceded, thus severely destabilizing the state's economy.

A decent analogy to current events may be Scotland. Within the EU they benefit greatly. Outside the EU all they have is the domestic oil industry to keep them afloat, and with oil prices such as they are it isn't exactly surprising that Scotland is going to have another independence referendum sometime in the future (and one that's far more likely to pass than the last one).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm okay with it. So long as they take Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    Texas is perhaps the most urbanized of the conservative states, but the urban centers of the state would more than likely favor staying within the Federal union because of the various tax and interstate trade incentives. And even if secession were possible, urban-located businesses would be the first to pick up and leave if the state actually seceded, thus severely destabilizing the state's economy.

A decent analogy to current events may be Scotland. Within the EU they benefit greatly. Outside the EU all they have is the domestic oil industry to keep them afloat, and with oil prices such as they are it isn't exactly surprising that Scotland is going to have another independence referendum sometime in the future (and one that's far more likely to pass than the last one).
    yeah, which is why I said cities would secede from Texas if they could in that event Otherwise yeah, I see a LOT of what makes Texas economically viable and diverse just up and leaving. But my point to Celestia was that she may hate our politics, but we are certainly better off than the other southern states (with possible exceptions for Virginia and North Carolina). So...Texas wouldnt fit will with the others.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    I'm okay with it. So long as they take Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee with them.
    nonononononono. They would leech off of us so bad...

10+ Year Old Account
    nonononononono. They would leech off of us so bad...

I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    I know.
    I hate you so much right now

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate you so much right now
    I'm adding Florida to the list too.

please let them leave. the rest of the country would be so much better of if these red states just disappeared

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it quite a backwater place?

Letting them bugger off will do your country a lot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Texas literally cannot secede from the union even if they wanted to.

Fairly certain that it's just a vocal minority seriously calling for Texas to secede.
    The United states constitution allows for secession by majority vote (congress will not vote them to leave) or by use of force, aka you secede and when the rest of the US tries to take you back u just defend your new country until you surrender or they vote you out.

So yes texas can secede. Its just not going to be easy. And a 48% 52% vote isnt enough imo to potentially go to war with the rest of the country.

However, I do not believe the rest of the country will be for fighting texas should they secede. The US doesnt OWN any state. We are part of a Union of states. If that union fails us we have the right to leave it, and if texas wants to leave i think alot of americans will be ok with it. Its the Governments who get money from texas who will come up with reasons why we should force them to stay.

Why doesn't Hawaii want to secede? Maybe they do.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Isn't it quite a backwater place?

Letting them bugger off will do your country a lot of good.
    Not really. DFW and Austin are tech meccas. Houston has a large medical district. San Antonio has a bunch of culture and touristy places. Bascially, the cities are awesome. You start getting into crazy pants politics the more rural you go.

- - - Updated - - -

I am honestlyu quite amazed at the amount of people who think Texas is just another "backwards red state", and not a huge economy with diverse politics.

Thans gerrymandering and Ted Cruz for ruining our perception. Good thing the exploding hispanic population will make Texas turn purple eventually.

As others have pointed out, some of the major cities are the opposite of Texas stereotypes. If Texas somehow managed to secede they would lose a tremendous amount of talent, business, and wealth. Within a few years they would be facing collapse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    As others have pointed out, some of the major cities are the opposite of Texas stereotypes. If Texas somehow managed to secede they would lose a tremendous amount of talent, business, and wealth. Within a few years they would be facing collapse.
    Which is why this will stay a super minority opinion. Because first and foremost, Texas is a business state, and will not adopt policies that overly hamper businesses.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland