Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    So did the UK actually leave? Are the paperworks filed?
    No
    The British Parliament can still choose to ignore the referendum and Article 50 wont start until the British state they want to leave. After the article is invoked Britain has 2 Years in the EU unless they leave earlier.

That is why EU Lawyers are looking for Loopholes in Article 50. So the British cannot drag it out and they can be removed.

Also the EU has given the UK the stink finger. Even if they were to stay they will loss all the concessions Cameron got the UK.
    http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pr...uk-referendum/

As agreed, the “New Settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Union”, reached at the European Council on 18-19 February 2016, will now not take effect and ceases to exist. There will be no renegotiation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I mean thats just straight up bullshit, but whatever.
    Which is exactly what most citizens of authoritarian dictatorships say. Everyone believes their country is special.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Some of the voters now say they would change their opinion. If you can gather 1 million of such votes, you are clear of Brexit.
    I might be just petty in that regard with my desire to see the UK choke on it's own hubris, but afaik people do have a point. Polling until you have the desired outcome is not something you do in actual democracy, even if the UK is just a wannabe semi-democracy to begin with. These are usually tactics employed by people that history frowns upon. But the fact remains that not even the absolute majority voted for it. While one can easily see it as a valid mandate, it is certainly not a strong one, but that is democracy.

Imho their best chance to get out of this is to have elections and put it on the parties to make something out of that shaky mandate or not. If the UK elects the likes of Farange then for all I care they deserve everything that's coming for them. If they decide to not do it and made it clear before that voting labor/tories will not result in that outcome then they can stay for all I care.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-06-25 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    It's not up to them.

Only the nation that wants to leave can trigger article 50. They can want it all they like, but a leaving nation has to leave of their own accord. There are no provisions for kicking them out.

As an aside - until article 50 is triggered no EU nation is under any obligation whatsoever to negotiate with the leaving nation.

It's a stalemate until the request to leave is sent.

And if the eu makes a votum to change artikel 50 the uk will have a problem more.
    Last edited by Durandir; 2016-06-25 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    And if the eu makes a votum to change artikel 50 the uk will have a problem.
    Currently the UK is still a member of the EU. Complete with the right to veto any changes to article 50.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Which is exactly what most citizens of authoritarian dictatorships say. Everyone believes their country is special.
    Tell me how Iran offers more choice with regards to Democracy than the UK does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    No
    The British Parliament can still choose to ignore the referendum and Article 50 wont start until the British state they want to leave. After the article is invoked Britain has 2 Years in the EU unless they leave earlier.

That is why EU Lawyers are looking for Loopholes in Article 50. So the British cannot drag it out and they can be removed.

Also the EU has given the UK the stink finger. Even if they were to stay they will loss all the concessions Cameron got the UK.
    http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pr...uk-referendum/

In addition to all this there will be subsequent re-negotiation because we still have to have a relationship with europe outside the EU.

Rather incredibly, judging from recent interviews with Leave campaigners, it looks like there will be little actual change compared to formally being in the EU. A leading leave campaigner for example stated yesterday that immigration from the EU will essentially continue as before.

Deleted
    A decision this big should never have been left down to the public. Do we vote on whether we go to war for example? no.

The public do not understand the weight and the implications of decisions like these. We have general elections to choose qualified people to make these decisions for us, as it's their job.

Deleted
    Currently the UK is still a member of the EU. Complete with the right to veto any changes to article 50.
    I do not think Britain can make any decisions in the EU. At least if I read, understand this correctly.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887
    The UK will continue to abide by EU treaties and laws, but not take part in any decision-making, as it negotiates a withdrawal agreement and the terms of its relationship with the now 27 nation bloc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    A decision this big should never have been left down to the public. Do we vote on whether we go to war for example? no.

The public do not understand the weight and the implications of decisions like these. We have general elections to choose qualified people to make these decisions for us, as it's their job.
    The public were told what to do by the media. No one ever wins British elections without its support.

Don't blame the public, its not their fault we have such an effective system of media brainwashing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandir View Post
    And if the eu makes a votum to change artikel 50 the uk will have a problem more.
    It will be some hard times but the UK won't have any problems at all standing alone. They might even come out ahead in the end.

You really think Great Britain will fall and become some third world shit hole just because they don't want to be in the union anymore? Please. The EU isn't and never has been that important. Nobody is dumb enough to not to business with the UK and if they are there will be an entire world willing to step up and take that business for themselves. We're not talking Greece here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    You need a link to understand the process takes a long time? It's like when you vote for a president and they win, they don't instantly become president in that moment.
    No, you answerd the question if the paperwork was filed with yes. For that you need to provide a link, because as far as i´m aware they didn´t file the paperwork.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    use "brain mk. 1" ?
    Reading, try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    In addition to all this there will be subsequent re-negotiation because we still have to have a relationship with europe outside the EU.

Rather incredibly, judging from recent interviews with Leave campaigners, it looks like there will be little actual change compared to formally being in the EU. A leading leave campaigner for example stated yesterday that immigration from the EU will essentially continue as before.
    Brexit will still make it easier for the UK to control immigration in the future. One step at a time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    It will be some hard times but the UK won't have any problems at all standing alone. They might even come out ahead in the end.

You really think Great Britain will fall and become some third world shit hole just because they don't want to be in the union anymore? Please. The EU isn't and never has been that important. Nobody is dumb enough to not to business with the UK and if they are there will be an entire world willing to step up and take that business for themselves. We're not talking Greece here.
    If you take out the Financial services, which are arguably ponzi schemes, Britain isn't that far off Greece.

Deleted

You are entirely correct.

But the cats out of the bag now, so being correct means fuck all anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Brexit will still make it easier for the UK to control immigration in the future. One step at a time.
    Yeah, that's exactly the type of bullshit I'm sure they will come out with to hide the fact nothing has changed.

Yeah you can vote against it but as long you dont get the majority of the votes you cant do a thing against it

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo

should they rename the pound? I propose renaming it the Ounce.

Deleted

Their job is to enact the will of the people. Half of these "qualified people" have barely held a real job outside politics and all of them are making money hand over fist. I certainly don't want to leave such important decision in the hand of a few politicians who have lucrative positions waiting in finance ones they leave office (provided they have played ball).

Deleted
    The public were told what to do by the media. No one ever wins British elections without its support.

Don't blame the public, its not their fault we have such an effective system of media brainwashing.
    In any nation with halfways functional public education it is entirely every single fucking individual's fault ever that could not discern bias in anything they read or watch.