Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Crazy people being crazy..... What else is new?

California has people doing that too:
    http://www.yescalifornia.org

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    The States are sovereign entities within the Union, so if they choose, they're free to secede at any point, and the ruling within the Texas v. White case is just nonsensical BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Texas has one of the largest economies on the planet, and if the United States did balkanize, the southern portions would rank within the Top 10 globally for economies.

- - - Updated - - -

As it relates to this argument, legality and illegality are irrelevant to the discussion.
    Actually everything you just said was wrong. Just because you don't like Texas V. White doesn't mean its invalid. And Texas would literally lose ALL of its tech sector so it wouldn't be in the top 10, if it was now, any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    The States are sovereign entities within the Union, so if they choose, they're free to secede at any point, and the ruling within the Texas v. White case is just nonsensical BS.
    This particular legal doctrine was firmly and decisively struck down at a small courthouse in Appomattox, Virginia some 151 years ago. States do not have the unilateral right to secede from the union.

Texas has one of the largest economies on the planet, and if the United States did balkanize, the southern portions would rank within the Top 10 globally for economies.
    If the United States "balkanized," i.e. split into smaller political unions, that means that the common currency and fiscal union would be gone as well. And the economic power of the United States, as well as its constituent states, is wholly dependent on that currency and fiscal union. Not only that, but securities denominated in U.S. dollars underwrite most economic activity around the globe. Destroy the United States and you destroy the dollar. Destroy the dollar and you destroy those securities. Destroy those securities and, well, I suppose the South would be comforted by the fact that it wouldn't be the only newly-created Third World country on the planet, but that's a rather hefty price to pay just to show us Yankees that you don't cotton to our preference for high-falutin' central governance.

Could Texas survive secession? Yes. Probably easier than most states.

Should we even really entertain the idea outside hypothetical ? No way.

10+ Year Old Account
    No and don't touch Florida either. I have a good friend there. ;..;
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'd advocate for the reverse as I rarely see any point in states (outside of elections). People might claim "independence" but you're still part of the same country abiding by federal laws. If anything, the entire concept simply causes confusion and prevents unity.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Wont happen. The secessionists are the loud minority. and by minority I mean, like maybe 2% of the state. The vast majority know it would be economic suicide. Also, AUstin has gone on recrod saying they plan to secede form Texas if Texas secedes.

AUstin will build a bridge to the US, and make Texas pay for it
    I agree the majority wouldn't do it, but you're way wrong on the reason. There's no way the vast majority have any clue about the economic issues that would arrive if Texas became its own country.

It's funny that so many in south have always wanted to be their own country even to this day. Theyre for the idea because they think it would be their own little utopia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't you guys solve that with another civil war? The EU ain't a country, the US is.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    As stupid as Texas can be sometimes, we are generally more of an economic boon than the rest of the south due to our diverse business interests and various industries.
    I suggested it because of the ideological similarities. An independent Texas would be the 10th largest economy in the world.

Oh no. Not Texas. The humanity. Please don't go. What a travesty. We will loose the most valuable state in the union. All the best presidents are Texans.

I wonder if Trump supports Texans taking their country back too. After all Texas has long had a problem with the free movement of people from other States in the Union. Also the Union hasn't been able to deal with the mass-immigration of rapist and murdering Mexicans crossing their border. It's time to take control! #Texit

MAKE IT HAPPEN! I will help them pack, so to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Source

From Brexit to Texit? Renewed calls for Texas secession after EU vote

Now, obviously this is not quite the same thing as the UK leaving the EU. There currently is no lawful method for a state to just decide to secede from the union... but Texas has previously played with this idea in recent years. What do you think of Texans that want to their state to break away from the United States?
    It's just a political bullshit tactic aimed at the Extreme Right. You know, those folks who hijacked the Republican party?

Most Texans do not want to leave the Union and they have MANY MANY reasons not to. One of which is the simple fact that most people have family outside of Texas and don't want to have to get a passport to visit or go on vacation somewhere.

Stop giving this stupid idea attention. Texas will never leave the Union short of a full on civil war happening. And even then, Texas would remain in whatever new union forms.

-Source: I live in fucking Texas and if you ask anyone normal they agree that leaving the United States is stupid as shit/ Impossible anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    It's funny that so many in south have always wanted to be their own country even to this day. Theyre for the idea because they think it would be their own little utopia.
    I actually think it would be, to be honest. The political divide in the US is so vast (even to this day, well over a century since the Civil War) that an independent South would likely mean better government for both countries. With the way things are currently, it is very difficult to get things done in a divided and very contentious Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I suggested it because of the ideological similarities. An independent Texas would be the 10th largest economy in the world.
    After a few years yeah. As you seen with Brexit, shit tends to get all jacked up when member states decide to leave unions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    I agree the majority wouldn't do it, but you're way wrong on the reason. There's no way the vast majority have any clue about the economic issues that would arrive if Texas became its own country.

You contradict yourself. You agree that it is a tiny minority, then say you are shocked "So many" want to leave.

Many do not want to leave and yes they do understand that Texas would suffer for leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    California has people doing that too:
    http://www.yescalifornia.org
    It's not PC to point out when other States are stupid. You can only generalize Texas that way.

[QUOTE=Now, obviously this is not quite the same thing as the UK leaving the EU. There currently is no lawful method for a state to just decide to secede from the union... but Texas has previously played with this idea in recent years. What do you think of Texans that want to their state to break away from the United States?[/QUOTE]

Only because of the outcome of the Civil War- which ended the 10th Amendment. Among other things.

7+ Year Old Account
    If they want to go let em go, US would just invade them right away anyways. #60yearsofwar

I hope this prompts quebec to go for QUexit. lets those fuckers take a per capita portion of the national debt and say good god damn riddance.

they've threatened it enough. let them leave, and we'll build trumps wall on the interior border of Texas

all of their professional sports teams are garbage anyway.

GTFO

relevant.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnJbdT4t5g
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

I believe that Austin is probably one the few sane places in TX.

Hmf..If Texas ever did successfully seceded it'd be a third world country in a matter of hours.