Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't care either way, but if they are concerned about advantage - why not add a UI option for 'extended view distance' which changes the slider to go up to what ever the maximum technical distance is.

Problem solved.

Before: See the battle or zone from 400 ft up like yer a drone!

See the flag across the river on maps like Ararhi Basin!

After: Your cheats have been pwned. Have a nice day cheatorz.

Quote Originally Posted by precious View Post
    Also lets ban eyefinity and 4 k monitors cause they give advantage over ppl that cant afford it. Next stop play wow as overwatch.
    Forget that we best ban the mouse sensitivity option. Turning faster than someone else is an advantage you know.

Oh and DBM, Weakauras, the hundreds of other addons that give informational advantages that exceed camera angles? We're just going to ignore those. We will fuck with your camera after a decade just cause though. Yes. We do hate you.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2016-06-26 at 02:27 AM.

This thread is a bunch of "I'm right and I don't care about your arguments." Actually, pretty much any modern "debates" that people have are simply them spewing their own thoughts without a single regard for the other side, apart from it being wrong.

This change is fine, although their reasoning is pretty bad. I've played ranged, tank and melee in progression raiding and I use the console command infrequently, but when I do use it there is great purpose behind it. As a tank, it's incredibly dull to watch a massively oversized boss model (i.e. Mannoroth, Heroic Ragnaros) for the entire duration of the fight. It's not only that I'm seeing 40% of the boss on my screen, it's that the model blocks view of everything else happening in the room. Additionally, picking up adds during fights can be impaired with large models, as you can't really click on anything other than what's 2 feet in front of your character. Yes, nameplates help, but sometimes you want to have the add targeted beforehand, when it's out of range for the nameplate to show up. Even then, clicking a nameplate versus an actual model is slightly more difficult. Not saying impossible, but it was nice to be able to clear some screen clutter and keep things organized.

As a melee, it's less of an issue but it can still be obnoxious. Again I would reference the nameplate issue. With how unreliable tab targetting can be if there are more than 2 enemies, I often opt to click the new target (since I don't click my spells, inb4 "omg elitist with ur keybindz thats unfair to people who dont have keyboards").

The least affected is ranged/healing, however in certain cases you are required to stack with or near the melee or tank group(s) for mechanics and it's still nice to be able to zoom out more.

Is it a dumb change? Yes, but it's dumb because of their reasoning. Is it gamebreaking? No. People who are saying it is for those with epilepsy or photosensitivity should just opt to turn down graphics. This game can run on a toaster, so low settings are more than sufficient to keep you from seizing mid session.

Max camera distance should have been on the slider since the beginning. Now it is. It isn't as far as it could be, but at least it's not "hidden" behind a script anymore. It'll be playable obviously, but I do hope there aren't any Mannoroths or Rags in raiding or it will be slightly less enjoyable for no apparent reason.

most people never used it cause most people never knew u could.....hand it to blizz to change things that dont need to be fixin and leave the crap that they should

I'll take things that really don't matter for $500 Alex.

Melee Keyboard turners and Clickers = Dead.

I have been using this macro since Bc (Gruul in fact). As a healer it is a key feature in knowing whats going on at all times. The fact that its used on pretty much every fight in HFC to some degree should state the value of the larger distance being a feature that should be left alone. If you are worried about people getting an “Advantage” by using a macro that’s been around for 5 expansions, why not make it a standard feature vs usable only with a macro.

Deleted
    For me, this is the worst thing they could have done.

I hate to hate on something so specific but .. IF it is an advantage, why not just give this advantage to everyone?

I mean seriously .. the standard zoom does not give you the information needed to properly play on any competitive level.

When ranged enemies can attack me from 40yard distance, then I need to see them even when they are behind me, else I would be confused on what just attacked me when I am fighting s1 else in the meantime.

-> dont get the reason for this sudden change. Hope the flame in official forums is strong enough to revert this nonsense ...

This is definitely something im not a fan of, but in the end the distance he posted in that imgur wasnt too terrible and I will make due for sure, wish it didnt change but it is what it is.

here let me bend over blizz so you can get a better angle...

Quote Originally Posted by Psygon View Post

So.. you took this beta change and actually applied in RL? This attitude is so narrow sighted as new MCD settings.
    How is it considered a "cheat" something is put in by blizz devs a long time ago and its in the game?
    I know what you want to say, but the tone in which youre saying it is soo bad and irritating. I really dont see the point in calling someone names arrogantly simply because hes using settings that you dont, settings that are there for a long time and for everyone to use them, implemented by blizzard.

Back on topic. The change is simply stupid on a global scale. Why they dont implement it just for PvP?
    I see what they want to accomplish with it, specially in competitive PvP, but with all the new systems in the game which are splitting PvP from PvE more and more, with new version of PvP system im pretty much sure that they have the tech to make this PvP only change.

I simply fail to see the reason for game wide MCD reduction in PvE too. They are talking about the "scaling and proportional feel?" Sure, i bet that fully size buffed tauren on mamoth that is tall as Org entrance feels really scaled well. And proportional too.

Next point, main one, simply because its health related. I, for once, suffer of motion sickness with reduced FoV in games. Im unable to play games like D3 and HoTS longer than an hour-hour and a half before i need to make a break or my motion sickness due to low FoV would kick in and ill get insane headache and be all sickly. In extreme cases i would trow up and.. end up in bed. By the looking at new screenshoots in full-screen for a minute or two i could clearly see that ill have issues with new camera settings cause those shots made me all sickly and feeling quite uncomfortable. Now i bet that my guild, or anyone else in the raid for that matter, will be quite ok when i say in the middle of the raid "Guys, could you wait for 20ish minutes, my Motion sickness is kicking in? Love ya! <3" Yup. quite ok with it.

WoW is a game which im playing since Vanilla and i used CVar commands to set the camera, mainly to avoid Motion sickness but also to my likings.
    Its a rare MMO game that im actually enjoying playing and i can play it for a bit longer time frame than usual, if this change would affect only PvP i couldnt care less, but as it has somewhat major impact on game globally and game modes (PvE) that i play and limits my performance due to Motion sickness with reduced FoV im not ok with it. As i said, i do see what they want to do with it, my question is - why not make it just PvP change if you strive towards that "equal chance for a victory" mentality?
    Last edited by Gurg; 2016-06-26 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psygon View Post

Behold the Blizz shill, folks.

How bout, in what universe does it make sense to dramatically increase the distance we can see and trumpet it as a feature, then neuter an existing zoom that's been fine, well-known (you really think people have been too stupid to search "zoom out more in wow"?), and makes the game much more enjoyable for every role?

Also, how the hell is it cheating when it's built into the engine? Watcher put out a load of crap there, no one was modifying game files, running third-party anything, just tweaking a setting that's been present for a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Well, this is pretty typical of Legion development for me.... 1 step forward, 1d4 steps backward. Every cool thing I see, there's something like this, a bad change compounded by absurd reasoning.

The screenshot isn't too bad, but if they'd produced any actual reasoning it would help. "Well, not everyone knew about it, and yeah, we could let everyone know about it, but then you wouldn't see the world the way we want you to, and since we're objectively better than you, you have to like it the way we tell you to like it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Well, this is pretty typical of Legion development for me.... 1 step forward, 1d4 steps backward. Every cool thing I see, there's something like this, a bad change compounded by absurd reasoning.

The screenshot isn't too bad, but if they'd produced any actual reasoning it would help. "Well, not everyone knew about it, and yeah, we could let everyone know about it, but then you wouldn't see the world the way we want you to, and since we're objectively better than you, you have to like it the way we tell you to like it."
    Keep in mind that screenshot is looking down a hill with the UI hidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearly everyone I knew that seriously raided (including myself) always used it. If you were raiding and didn't, it was a disadvantage. YIt definitely helped being able to get a wider view during boss fights for sure. You could get by without it sure, just like you can get by without a lot of other things like enchants or pre-potting. But it was used by most raiders. If you only did pvp, questing, or maybe lfr, you probably wouldn't have used it.

My larger concern with the change is that I've noticed the camera is often zooming in close on it's own by default now. I don't need max zoom necessarily, we can survive with it toned down a bit even if it's not my preference. But don't have it zoom in by default close on it's own to where I'm constantly having to re-back up my view. At least it seems like it's that behavior on beta a lot right now.
    Last edited by Auxora; 2016-06-26 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    True... *shrug* I don't zoom out significantly further than that most of the time anyways, but I do know that the times I do, it's because it's because I need to see what's actually going on around me.

If I had any confidence that they'll design raids and dungeons around this new limitation, I'd be more ok with it... but they're implying they already did so, when there are definitely times you can't see anything unless you go beyond what the system would normally let you do. Like, for instance, as Kynlee said, if you're tanking or in melee and have a giant mob dominating the majority of your screen.

I've never used this feature in my 9 years playing wow, however I completely understand why people are annoyed about it being removed. Firstly this has been in the game since the beginning and some people are now totally reliant on this for how they play the game. Whether you use it or not is beside the point, if some people have used this feature for 10 years and now Blizzard are taking away an option they allowed for no good reason whatsoever. There is nothing in their justification for this change that really justifies the reason for it, they've decided to make the change for some reason they are not willing to say. Maybe it's for the facebook streaming stuff, maybe it's for some sort of e-sport spectator mode coming who knows but the reason he is giving is clearly rubbish. Just like their "lore" justification for karabor not being a home city, or "maybe Ashran is Farahlon".

As other people have stated in this thread, if their justification is competitive advantage then they should remove every addon that the general casual playerbase don't use that is giving people an advantage over them. Blizzard have clearly lost the plot at this point and they believe the playerbase is stupid, gullible and will buy any rubbish or lies they are fed.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Yup, also all screen comparisons that they took are uphill with huge chunks of terrain/NPC to fill the screen and lessen actual view distance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    True... *shrug* I don't zoom out significantly further than that most of the time anyways, but I do know that the times I do, it's because it's because I need to see what's actually going on around me.

If I had any confidence that they'll design raids and dungeons around this new limitation, I'd be more ok with it... but they're implying they already did so, when there are definitely times you can't see anything unless you go beyond what the system would normally let you do. Like, for instance, as Kynlee said, if you're tanking or in melee and have a giant mob dominating the majority of your screen.
    They also advertised aerial and mounted combat as major features of WoTLK, yet here we are. and new dances too.
    Well, lets hope that camera wont be that "smart" as the people in beta are reporting and be more smart and stay as we set it.
    Last edited by Gurg; 2016-06-26 at 04:13 AM.

Deleted
    So, how about that 21:9 in Overwatch?

How did that awesome decision work out for you guys because of competitive reasons, eh?