Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Star Trek: Enterprise appreciation thread

I'm a fan of perhaps the most unpopular of Star Trek shows. One of the main criticisms of the show was that the lead ship, the NX-01, was compared to another design called the Akira class. While there are of course some commonalities when looking at the vessel from a top view, from most other angles, it reminded me more of my favorite FASA design, the USS Loknar...

Anyway, I thought if you liked or hated the show, this could be a place for discussion on it. If there's another thread that's already done this, then I apologize in advance.

My problem isn't so much with the show itself, but that Enterprise didn't feel like Star Trek. The aesthetic was that of a NASA spacecraft with dozens and dozens of switches, buttons, and displays covering the walls and messy wires hanging from the ceiling, solely devoted to exploration; as opposed a homely mobile cruise ship that was so advanced it could do anything and could compartmentalize all of it's machinery behind the walls in a way you hardly even notice you were on a ship if it wasn't for the big windows everywhere. The ship hierarchy acted more as a strict military division as opposed the laid back and flexible family of the previous ST series. The stories - like some of DS9 and all of Voyager - were rehashes of the plots ToS experimented with and TNG perfected. The one thing I will give Enterprise credit for, was the season 3 Xindi plot; it was the first time Star Trek did something original since the Dominion War, except the entire season was dedicated to it instead of it being a recurring episode plot. But that's the problem; at that point, Enterprise ceased being the adventurous, eye opening Star Trek series we had come to know about racism, Your Terrorists are Our Freedom Fighters, and family aesops and instead became a stereotypical war plot about alien seals committing acts of space terrorism because of reasons as an excuse for action.

The characters were generally uninteresting; the only memorable character I can specifically recall was... um... well... my point exactly.

IMO, Enterprise felt more like a alternative show to then simultaneously running Battlestar Galactica as opposed to more Star Trek material.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2016-06-26 at 01:00 AM.

I personally genuinely loved the series. Well, let me state: I've loved Seasons 1-3. Season 4 has me going meh.

Also, when they changed the opening music in Season 3, that really pissed me off.

I know I'm in the minority... and I didn't watch this first run as I should, but I really liked it.
    Last edited by Sicnus; 2016-06-26 at 01:08 AM. Reason: words

The whole idea of the temporal cold war and such being introduced in the series was quite intriguing, but they could have gone further with it. I enjoyed the series for the most part, but I never really cared about the characters and there was too many expositional episodes.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    My problem isn't so much with the show itself, but that Enterprise didn't feel like Star Trek. The aesthetic was that of a NASA spacecraft with dozens and dozens of switches, buttons, and displays covering the walls and messy wires hanging from the ceiling, solely devoted to exploration; as opposed a homely mobile cruise ship that was so advanced it could do anything and could compartmentalize all of it's machinery behind the walls in a way you hardly even notice you were on a ship if it wasn't for the big windows everywhere. The ship hierarchy acted more as a strict military division as opposed the laid back and flexible family of the previous ST series. The stories - like some of DS9 and all of Voyager - were rehashes of the plots ToS experimented with and TNG perfected. The one thing I will give Enterprise credit for, was the season 3 Xindi plot; it was the first time Star Trek did something original since the Dominion War, except the entire season was dedicated to it instead of it being a recurring episode plot. But that's the problem; at that point, Enterprise ceased being the adventurous, eye opening Star Trek series we had come to know about racism, Your Terrorists are Our Freedom Fighters, and family aesops and instead became a stereotypical war plot about alien seals committing acts of space terrorism because of reasons as an excuse for action.

The characters were generally uninteresting; the only memorable character I can specifically recall was... um... well... my point exactly.

IMO, Enterprise felt more like a alternative show to then simultaneously running Battlestar Galactica as opposed to more Star Trek material.
    I actually enjoyed the series, precisely because it was a different angle of Star Trek. I don't believe that it not being a polished, perfected, space faring ship is a reason to dislike it. The Federation had to start somewhere, as did early ship design. It was run in a military fashion because that is exactly who would be charged with exploration during its infancy. Creature comfort and aesthetics are not a military concern either, so the ship layout worked. That was the charm of the series, they didn't really know what they were doing, where they were going or who they were encountering. They didn't know if the ship's systems would work as intended, hell at one point they seemed like they weren't even sure they would ever make it home in one piece.

Obsviously there is one thing that could be pointed at, and that was the technology. It was much harder to make things look older the TNG, even harder to make it look older then ToS, but that's just because of real world advancements. Its funny because the ToS tech looks much older than Enterprise despite it not being so.

I have to agree with Valyrian. The show didn't feel like Star Trek. I thought it was okay sometimes but it usually felt pretty boring and cheap or something.

It didn't have shit on Voyager imo and certainly not on any of the other series.

I loved enterprise. The characters seemed way more reachable. I didn't like Reed or Mayweather. I loved the other characters. Shran was a great character.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

IT was trash. A shit in the face of fans in an effort to get a new audience. A trend with CBS/Para in the last 15 years. Fuck fans who have help to keep alive the franchise in an effort to get people who have no care for it to buy a movie ticket.

I hold the smallest glimmer of hope that the new show MAY be something long time fans can get behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I loved enterprise. The characters seemed way more reachable. I didn't like Reed or Mayweather. I loved the other characters. Shran was a great character.
    Shran was the only good part of that show. Of course he was played by the impeccable Jeffery Combs, a man who has done so much good in Star Trek.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Season 1: cancer. None of the actors seemed comfortable playing a Star Trek character, and it showed.
    Season 2: Actors got better, but wtf is Xindi?
    Season 3: FUCKING XINDI!?!??!
    Season 4: Now this is Star Tre..... Oh it got cancelled. This episode is interesting... What if Zekrom Cochran attacked the Vulcans who made first contact instead of befriending them... Oh this is just a federation goes full Nazi fan fic. Season finale better be good! Oh, it's just Riker, AGAIN, doing some inconsequential shit on the holodeck.

Real talk though, although it was definitely unorthodox, the intro sequence was great.
    Last edited by Chetnik; 2016-06-26 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I hold the smallest glimmer of hope that the new show MAY be something long time fans can get behind.
    Not a chance. People now don't have the patience for that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Not a chance. People now don't have the patience for that shit.
    Never the less, I will cling to that small glimmer until its snuffed out....which will likely be the case.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    I think Star trek: Enterprise would have worked if it was a totaly sepeart IP. A buch of not so perfect people flying around in a spaceship, and somtime do questionable moral decisions. Now it did feel why are Battelstar Galactic in my Star Trek....

Also the whole Xindi plot, we are a super secret organization. Earth do not know about us hence they will not look for us. So we send a miniature death star to burn Florida so they will know about us and will be very motivaded to look for us....
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2016-06-26 at 06:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved it, up until the end. That final episode pissed me off sooooooooo much. I mean, that's definitely a good way to end a series that you have absolutely no plans on continuing, but ugh, I hated it so much I actually gave the entire DVD collection away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    I loved it! My favourite Star Trek series, well, it's a tie between Enterprise and Voyager! <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    My problem isn't so much with the show itself, but that Enterprise didn't feel like Star Trek.
    In a very real sense, it wasn't supposed to feel like Star Trek. One of the goals of the show was to depict a transformation/transition into the world of Star Trek from a more familiar world.

- - - Updated - - -

Another hit the series took from a lot of established Star Trek fans was the opening theme song. I do agree that the song wasn't instantly likeable, however it did grow on me. Personally, I would have preferred The Calling's "Wherever You Will Go" ... which was used in the promos for the show prior to the airing of the pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetnik View Post
    Season 1: cancer. None of the actors seemed comfortable playing a Star Trek character, and it showed.
    Season 2: Actors got better, but wtf is Xindi?
    Season 3: FUCKING XINDI!?!??!
    Season 4: Now this is Star Tre..... Oh it got cancelled. This episode is interesting... What if Zekrom Cochran attacked the Vulcans who made first contact instead of befriending them... Oh this is just a federation goes full Nazi fan fic. Season finale better be good! Oh, it's just Riker, AGAIN, doing some inconsequential shit on the holodeck.

Real talk though, although it was definitely unorthodox, the intro sequence was great.
    The intro for that episode was better though (except for the fake moon landing)

But yeah the series were pretty much garbage but tried to get better toward the end but nowhere near TNG season 3+ or DS9. When they knew that they were going to get cancelled, I guess they made that episode just for fun's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I'm a fan of perhaps the most unpopular of Star Trek shows. One of the main criticisms of the show was that the lead ship, the NX-01, was compared to another design called the Akira class. While there are of course some commonalities when looking at the vessel from a top view, from most other angles, it reminded me more of my favorite FASA design, the USS Loknar...
    I thought the show was bloody awesome. Just too short.

The casters were all very likeable and the storylines were pretty well. I didn't like the whole Xindi arc, but the classic trek episodes were very cool. Dear Doctor was one of my favourite episodes, just like Data's Day, as it describes life on the ship more than any other. I could do with less planets and more... what was the Voyager's episode... Below Deck? That one was brilliant, too!
    Last edited by Slant; 2016-06-27 at 12:36 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Garbage show. First episode was mehh. Then all downhill from there. Didn't bother to watch after the first season finale. Didn't think they would make a show worse than Voyager. I was wrong.

TOS? God-tier

TNG? Likewise

DS9? last 2 seasons were good; Dominion war and Pah wraiths FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Garbage show. First episode was mehh. Then all downhill from there. Didn't bother to watch after the first season finale. Didn't think they would make a show worse than Voyager. I was wrong.

TOS? God-tier

TNG? Likewise

DS9? last 2 seasons were good; Dominion war and Pah wraiths FTW
    If you didn't watch past the first season how do you know the rest of it was garbage
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If you didn't watch past the first season how do you know the rest of it was garbage
    Ok then, let me rephrase: garbage show as far as I watched. Didn't entice me to watch further.