Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Civil war? More like quiet imprisonment and / or slaughter.. the nutters that'd do so would stop real quick when they suddenly had to actually fight for their "right to secede" and the trucks full of magically produced food and gear stopped stopping by their stores.
    hey now the armed revolt in the middle of nowhere in Oregon showed that these people are to be taken "serious"
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2495329

Texas, are you guys in need of some sex toys?
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    hey now the armed revolt in the middle of nowhere in Oregon showed that these people are to be taken "serious"
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2495329
    They won't be bored, dildos for all!

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't they been trying to leave the US for like 150 years already, with no success?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I wonder what a bunch of bored men, in the middle of nowhere would use a giant bag full of dildos for....................................................................................... .......................................................................................... .......................................................................................... .......................................................................................... .......................................................................................... .................................

They also had a camera and streaming capabilities...
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.

I laughed more over the gummi penises that also came with the dildos. They were told to, quite literally, eat a bag of dicks.

Can Texas secede from the United States?

Delegates for the Texas Republican Party even recently debated adding secessionist language to the party's platform. But is it actually legal for Texas to leave the United States?

Simply put, the answer is no. Historical and legal precedents make it clear that Texas could not pull off a Texit — at least not legally.

“The legality of seceding is problematic,” said Eric McDaniel, associate professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin. “The Civil War played a very big role in establishing the power of the federal government and cementing that the federal government has the final say in these issues.”

It is also important to note that the European Union is a loose association of compound states with pre-existing protocols for a nation to exit. In contrast, the U.S. Constitution contains procedures for admitting new states into the nation, but none for a state to leave.

Texas declared independence from Mexico in 1836 and spent the next nine years as its own nation. While the young country's leaders first expressed interest in becoming a state in 1836, the Republic of Texas did not join the United States until 1845, when Congress approved the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas to the United States.

This resolution, which stipulated that Texas could, in the future, choose to divide itself into "New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas" is often a cause of confusion about the state’s ability to secede. But the language of the resolution is clear: Texas can split itself into five new states. It says nothing of splitting apart from the United States.

In the years after Texas joined the union, tensions over slavery and states’ rights mounted. A state convention in 1861 voted 166 to 8 in favor of secession — a measure that was then ratified by a popular vote, making Texas the seventh state to secede from the Union.

After the Civil War, Texas was readmitted to the Union in 1870.

If there were any doubt remaining after that, late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia set it to rest more than a century later with his response to a letter from a screenwriter in 2006 asking if there is a legal basis for secession.

“The answer is clear,” Scalia wrote. “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. (Hence, in the Pledge of Allegiance, 'one Nation, indivisible.')”

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    “The answer is clear,” Scalia wrote. “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. (Hence, in the Pledge of Allegiance, 'one Nation, indivisible.')”
    [/I]
    I wonder if that's why Puerto Rico doesn't apply for statehood (I think Puerto Rico is the one that ticks all the boxes to be a state); once you join us, you can never leave!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I suggested it because of the ideological similarities. An independent Texas would be the 10th largest economy in the world.
    Although without the backing of the US government and solidarity of the other states, I imagine many of those businesses that make it such a huge economy would jump ship as soon as Texas seceded.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Texas would leave... Mexico would invade to take it back....Texas would get the US to help again.... Umm... Texas goes sorry bad idea to leave.
    Pretty much. The cartels alone would destroy Texas without US power behind them which they wouldnt have because they left.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Texas has about 30 million armed and well-trained gun enthusiasts and probably closer to 50 million once the Texans living "abroad" in other states repatriate back home. If they seceded, the first thing they would do is raise a massive army and likely conquer the other 49 states who are scared of guns.
    Right, because armed civilians are now the same thing as an "Army". And can go toe-to-toe against an actual army, with tanks, and attack helicopters, and drones, and far more funding, training, equipment, and support than a ragtag band of rednecks with shotguns.

Keep dreaming.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Texas would leave, get a few rain showers, ask for national disaster funding, realize that they were cut off, and then want back in ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Texas would leave, get a few rain showers, ask for national disaster funding, realize that they were cut off, and then want back in ASAP.
    I'd like to see how they plan to defend their off-shore oil drilling, though I know the Texas navy is formidable.
    /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

In reality, Texas would suffer economically for a while, but soon be in a decent place once they get a hang of being their own country. Seeing as how people living here are most likely born in another state, folks would still be considered American.

It won't be all doom and gloom like folks like to scream, it just won't be as beneficial as staying.

While it's a stupid idea that couldn't happen, imagine how fucked the GOP of the 49-state USA would be in presidential elections.

In the Electoral College Texas provides 38 votes. There are 538 total votes, requiring 270 to reach a majority. Without texas there would be 500, required 251 to reach a majority. Roughly 206 votes can be considered safe, of which texas belongs. The GOP would lose about 18% of their safe votes. The GOP would effectively have to win every single toss up state to win.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    They should do it. They should also recruit most states south of the Mason-Dixon to go with them, with the ideological divide in this country we'd probably be far better off in the long run.
    And have the half of a million + men/women who died during the Civil War to be in vain?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    No way can any state in the United States leave.

But honestly who gives a fuck. I would actually love for them to leave and see what happens when they're gone.
    They would do well alone. But the US would not do as well without them. They have the second largest economy in the Nation and much bigger than a lot of other countries. But it is not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    While it's a stupid idea that couldn't happen, imagine how fucked the GOP of the 49-state USA would be in presidential elections.

In the Electoral College Texas provides 38 votes. There are 538 total votes, requiring 270 to reach a majority. Without texas there would be 500, required 251 to reach a majority. Roughly 206 votes can be considered safe, of which texas belongs. The GOP would lose about 18% of their safe votes. The GOP would effectively have to win every single toss up state to win.
    nah, they'd just push to make "the blacks" worth 3/5th's again

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    In reality, Texas would suffer economically for a while, but soon be in a decent place once they get a hang of being their own country. Seeing as how people living here are most likely born in another state, folks would still be considered American.

It won't be all doom and gloom like folks like to scream, it just won't be as beneficial as staying.
    Quite a few people who are there now enjoy the perk of no state payroll income tax I don't see a scenario where that wouldn't have to change immediately. Fortunately, the pro-secede crowd is, from my understanding, quite small... and the will of the entire state shouldn't be judged by it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Texas has about 30 million armed and well-trained gun enthusiasts.
    LOL... do tell, what site did you get this particular tidbit from?

I think this guy is from Texas.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    just merge to one this national borders are stupid
    If humanity makes it that far, yours will be the overall concensus centuries from now. Cooperation benefits humanity far more than competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Dfw here.
    I'm heading down there in about 2 weeks to visit a good friend (well, McKinney to be exact). You know, I've been there a few times in the past, and it seems that everything north of Dallas is just a mix of suburb, strip mall and highway. Any recommendations, I'm all ears. I do want to see Austin, but that won't happen on this trip...

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

I think this guy is from Texas.
    Are you trying to tell us that Texas is the birthplace of a lot of terrible music?

Not a fan of the song but the message is nice. I like Martina McBride's stuff for that reason, although I don't typically listen to country.