Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question [Movie] Independence Day 2

Can't find a thread, search function bad or movie is? Is it at least watchable?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I thought it had already come out in the US...still not out in Europe either

so
    much
    hate
    http://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/1202316...gence-spoilers

more balanced view

I loved it.

I left the theater feeling the same way I did when I left the theater after watching Independence Day.

My only issue is that it really isnt a 3D movie. IMAX for sure. IMAX 3D, no.

Eh. It was 'okay'. Kinda boring, meaningless and full of cartoon characters. Okay CGI spectacle for the $5 matinee we paid.

I just went to see it today and I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it better than the first movie. The actors playing the young people were not very good actors. They were just eye candy actors for teenagers to like the movie. The people cast as the older people in the movie were decent actors. Was nice to see Brent Spinner (data from star trek) in the movie again. This movie is not as deep as 2001 space odyssey but it had a lot more too it than the first independence day movie. It was pretty cool to see what happened to the world after the first movie learn more about the aliens. If you liked the first movie, I think you will like this one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Eh. It was 'okay'. Kinda boring, meaningless and full of cartoon characters. Okay CGI spectacle for the $5 matinee we paid.
    $5!!!!

Man, I wish we had those, matinees in NY are $10.

Worst movie Ive seen in theaters in years. Definitely a cash grab. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    $5!!!!

Man, I wish we had those, matinees in NY are $10.
    Yea, it's a pretty nice movie theater. $5 all day Tuesday, $3 kids/$5 adults before 10AM, $4 kids/$6 adults after 10AM thru 6PM, $6 kids/$8 adults after 6PM. $10 large popcorn and drink with unlimited free refills. All 4K digital projection too.

Love this place, we can walk to this theater- it's like 6 blocks from my house.

As a result, we see almost every movie released.

Yea, it's a pretty nice movie theater. $5 all day Tuesday, $3 kids/$5 adults before 10AM, $4 kids/$6 adults after 10AM thru 6PM, $6 kids/$8 adults after 6PM. $10 large popcorn and drink with unlimited free refills. All 4K digital projection too.

If that's the case, I'd love to hear your "beat/lost" critique of this movie. I don't want to make it binary, but I'm at a loss of better terminology.

What movie have you seen (in this type of category) that is better this year, what is worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    If that's the case, I'd love to hear your "beat/lost" critique of this movie. I don't want to make it binary, but I'm at a loss of better terminology.

What movie have you seen (in this type of category) that is better this year, what is worse?
    I am unsure by what you mean by "beat/loss". However, I think Captain America Civil War was the best action spectacle film so far this year.

I actually keep a running list of all the films, books, records and video games per year.

2016 films as I saw and rated them:

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 5/10
    The 5th Wave 2/10
    Kung Fu Panda 3 6/10
    Finest Hours 2/10
    Hail!, Caesar 7/10
    Regression 6/10
    Pride & Prejudice & Zombies 4/10
    Deadpool 6/10
    The Witch 9/10 *
    10 Cloverfield Lane 7/10
    Zootopia 6/10
    London Has Fallen 3/10
    Batman v. Superman – 7/10
    Everybody Wants Some 9/10 *
    Pee-Wee's Big Holiday 8/10
    Hardcore Henry 6/10
    Criminal 2/10
    Eye in the Sky 7/10
    The Jungle Book - 9/10 *
    Green Room 9/10 *
    The Invitation 9/10 *
    Eye in the Sky 7/10
    Demolition 2/10
    The Huntsman: Winter's War 2/10
    Barbershop: The Next Cut 5/10
    The Boss 1/10
    Sing Street 5/10
    A Hologram for the King 1/10
    Miles Ahead 6/10
    Elvis & Nixon 4/10
    Keanu 6/10
    Captain America: Civil War 8/10
    Money Monster 6/10
    The Nice Guys 9/10 *
    X-Men: Apocalypse 3/10
    The Lobster 8/10
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 5/10
    The Conjuring 2 9/10 *
    Warcraft 6/10
    Now You See Me 5/10
    Finding Dory 5/10
    Independence Day 2 4/10
    The Shallows 6/10
    Tickled 5/10
    Free State of Jones 3/10
    Neon Demon 8/10
    Pop Star 2/10
    Neighbors 2 1/10
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 4/10
    Central Intelligence 3/10
    Me Before You 2/10
    Princess 6/10
    Mapplethorpe: Look at the Pictures 7/10
    DePalma 7/10

* = Potential Best of the Year films.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-06-26 at 11:18 AM.

i would definitely go more often at those prices. Matinees are $11 here, $14 regular, $16 3D, and $19 IMAX. So I basically have to pick and choose even if I wanted to see the film.

edit: I actually only saw 3 of those films in a theater

10+ Year Old Account
    It was entertaining. And it was cool to see how technology and the people changed since the last one. Even with the nostalgic callbacks it was ok at best. Not nearly as fun as the first and the ending so obviously setting up #3 was pretty bad.

Deleted
    it was awful in comparison to the first one (which I watched again this morning prior to watching ID4:2 this afternoon).
    The main cast with the exceptions of those in the first movie where completely forgettable, The story line was predictable (more than expected), and humour (what little there was) felt forced. The only saving graces it has going for it is the special effects where fantastic, and that the four main cast members from the first movie carried everyone else.

I know you are meant to suspend belief when you watch films but some of the things I found wrong with it

• Sound in space - Seriously, Engine noise and other things in space just would not happen
    • a 3000km spaceship landing on earth with no geological effects happening, seriously they could have added some geological effects and no, knocking the flag over of the roof of the white house does not count
    • Alien Queen the size of a sky scraper Seriously... could they not come up with a more original idea, instead of one ripped from either monsters, cloverfield etc.
    • No amazing speech from a leader, just a cheesy one line from the female president

This film could have been so, so much better if they had gotten a halfway decent cast together, or even if the cast in the film where not so damn boring and wooden. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film for the most part and it did start out really strongly, but when it came down to the last half of the film it got plain boring. There where no surprise moments, and the only "main" character that got killed off Jasmin on the building was a tiny bit part which had zero emotional effect on the audience, and the buddy humor that made the first one so great to watch, was completely absent.

I can only hope that the 3rd one will look back at the mistakes of the second, the highlights of the first and come up with something worth while.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am unsure by what you mean by "beat/loss". However, I think Captain America Civil War was the best action spectacle film so far this year.

I actually keep a running list of all the films, books, records and video games per year.

2016 films as I saw and rated them:

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 5/10
    The 5th Wave 2/10
    Kung Fu Panda 3 6/10
    Finest Hours 2/10
    Hail!, Caesar 7/10
    Regression 6/10
    Pride & Prejudice & Zombies 4/10
    Deadpool 6/10
    The Witch 9/10 *
    10 Cloverfield Lane 7/10
    Zootopia 6/10
    London Has Fallen 3/10
    Batman v. Superman – 7/10
    Everybody Wants Some 9/10 *
    Pee-Wee's Big Holiday 8/10
    Hardcore Henry 6/10
    Criminal 2/10
    Eye in the Sky 7/10
    The Jungle Book - 9/10 *
    Green Room 9/10 *
    The Invitation 9/10 *
    Eye in the Sky 7/10
    Demolition 2/10
    The Huntsman: Winter's War 2/10
    Barbershop: The Next Cut 5/10
    The Boss 1/10
    Sing Street 5/10
    A Hologram for the King 1/10
    Miles Ahead 6/10
    Elvis & Nixon 4/10
    Keanu 6/10
    Captain America: Civil War 8/10
    Money Monster 6/10
    The Nice Guys 9/10 *
    X-Men: Apocalypse 3/10
    The Lobster 8/10
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 5/10
    The Conjuring 2 9/10 *
    Warcraft 6/10
    Now You See Me 5/10
    Finding Dory 5/10
    Independence Day 2 4/10
    The Shallows 6/10
    Tickled 5/10
    Free State of Jones 3/10
    Neon Demon 8/10
    Pop Star 2/10
    Neighbors 2 1/10
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 4/10
    Central Intelligence 3/10
    Me Before You 2/10
    Princess 6/10
    Mapplethorpe: Look at the Pictures 7/10
    DePalma 7/10

* = Potential Best of the Year films.
    This is...what... I don't even....

I haven't gone to that many movies in the last 5 years combined. Even with all my disposable income and no dependents. I just don't see that many trailers that spark my interest. I think maybe you should go into filmmaking, Fencers. It seems to be a interest of yours, even with the cheap theater.

Had one of those nearby when I was in college. Got movies about a month after release. Pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    This is...what... I don't even....

I haven't gone to that many movies in the last 5 years combined. Even with all my disposable income and no dependents. I just don't see that many trailers that spark my interest. I think maybe you should go into filmmaking, Fencers. It seems to be a interest of yours, even with the cheap theater.

Had one of those nearby when I was in college. Got movies about a month after release. Pretty cheap.
    I enjoy art- I listen to many, many records too. I play most major game releases. I read about two books a month, we go to plays, musicals and the opera too.

If one follows my posts in the Metal thread, they know I see A LOT of concerts too. Almost two a week. I have tix to about a dozen upcoming music concerts on my desk. Which does not include the play and musical tix either- Hamilton!

I love the arts and enjoy discussing film, books, music, etc. I have written for several newspapers, a few zines and half a dozen online zines and am a moderator of three arts & entertainment forums.

So yeah, I'm pretty engaged with new media, arts, etc.

My local theater only plays first run films BTW.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-06-27 at 04:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this movie worth the $5-12 I might spend on going to see it. Don't mind cheesy blockbusters cause its the season, just want to know if its bad or not. Actually haven't heard much about the movie, seems like a lot of people I know are holding out on it like I am. It actually seems like there wasn't much marketing for the movie outside of of the initial reveal. Weird. I've seen more marketing for Ghostbusters (and TMNT), which are just the current iterations of respectably cheesy blockbusters than this movie.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I liked it, didn't love it. ID4 was one of my favorites, I can watch it on a loop. This one... I didn't like seeing literally EVERY old character (other than Big Willy), it was rather pointless. I did like seeing Robert Loggia there though, and that credits nod to him. You definitely have to suspend reality to watch this, but that's what you need to do anyways for most summer blockbusters.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    snip
    The cast was definitely a problem. No one had the kind of personality and charisma that Will Smith had in the first one. Everyone was fairly bland and with the story being predictable and not that interesting, there wasn't anyone who could carry the movie instead. The death of Jasmin really felt like they were just trying to pull in some emotion from the audience but it didn't work. It did give the new Captain Hiller a chance to act and show how it affected his character but he wasn't up to the task.

I don't agree with you about the lack of an amazing speech, I actually liked that they didn't try to top the first one. The general who got sworn in as president - his name escapes me at the moment - did have a little bit of a motivational speech, and President Whitmore had another small speech as well. But the speech from the first movie was so well done and so iconic that I think if they had tried to top it or give a big speech like that again it would only looked poor in comparison. Not trying to do that was one of the good decisions I think the writers/producers made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Is this movie worth the $5-12 I might spend on going to see it. Don't mind cheesy blockbusters cause its the season, just want to know if its bad or not. Actually haven't heard much about the movie, seems like a lot of people I know are holding out on it like I am. It actually seems like there wasn't much marketing for the movie outside of of the initial reveal. Weird. I've seen more marketing for Ghostbusters (and TMNT), which are just the current iterations of respectably cheesy blockbusters than this movie.
    Honestly, No.
    it may be THE summer blockbuster disaster movie (so far), but it is certainly not worth going to watch it at full cinema prices. I would honestly steer clear of this turkey until it comes out on blu ray, then watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still got to go and see this movie, hearing bad things, but I cannot say no to Jefff - uh - uh - uh - Goldblum
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I liked it for what it was. But they tried way to hard to make it into what the first one was. I mean I felt like i was watching the same movie with different actors. You could have removed the original cast and gotten the same feeling. For someone who's never seen the first its probably pretty good. To me it was just "Meh" It really needed that "Steven Hillard" character that Will Smith was...

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff Goldblum was every bit as good as he was in the original though. Thankfully.
    Science the shit out of it!