Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Agreed. It also limits the overview of a battle, which would allow Blizzard MORE freedom in building raid mechanics and raid boss abilities and hinders the building of raid strategies. No general has ever fought a battlefield without a map overview of where the troops are supposed to be. Limiting Overview=Limiting war intelligence. And that's what max camera is all about in WoW.
    This isn't an RTS. You aren't playing as a general, you are playing as a soldier, and an average soldier doesn't usually have a luxury of bird's eye view of a battlefield.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    It's not meant to be a solution. It's just removing bandaid. A solution would be better encounter design that wouldn't require players to choose between full zoom or clipping through bosses ass.
    So in your mind, you think that from this point forward they won't make encounters that require you to zoomed out past max distance to actually see anything?

That's fine from this point forward, assuming they don't make encounters like the ones they have made for the past 8 years.

You have more faith in Blizzard then me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by WuxianLP View Post
    I don't see the issue with this.
    Yes, I play zoomed out, with most raid bosses at the cvar max, but with the new action camera options, we'll be able to
    see the whole bossmodel anyways. And that's what I wanted. I always wanted to have my character closer and that's now possible.
    If you wanna play close to you character there is no one forcing you to go max zoom....the pic that the Blue took is in a open field if he took one in a archimond or manoroth fight as melee you would have seen that that change is just a big pile of bull shit!!!
    They only change it cause of that new action cam option which is not practical anywhere outside questing or taking screenshot maybe.....and I for one will NEVER you that action cam cause it just gives me motion sickness!!

This might seem stupid but, consider the following:

The current maxcameradistance is either too small, too big, or just perfect.

It can't be "just perfect", because its entirely random setting and nobody considered the implications on raiding and other activities while introducing it.

If it's too small, then what maxdistance is ok? Should we be able to zoom out so much we see whole Stormwind or Orgrimmar in one screenshot? There is no limit to it, but, as Blizzard says, some limit MUST exist. And logically, this limit is probably the moment when the zoom-out begins to destroy immersion. Also, it rather isnt too small, as nobody till this moment complained the maxcameradistance should be increased.

Then it's too big. And that's the logical conclusion.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
    People are way too bored with the game and bitch and whine about everything, i doubt anyone would notice the difference otherwise. Sometimes i did zoomed out more that the game allowed by adjusting the slider how ever it was like 0.00001% of my play time and i play since 2004. I feel sorry for blizzard and the gaming industry in general, you have this generation of whiny people crying about everything.
    Exactly makes you think about some people, when they complain about something like this, I mean if it was a major game breaking problem then I might agree but it is not game breaking all it means is either people will have to get used to it or go off in a huff and find another game to play..

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    You can choose to use the old character models. Rendering your entire argument irrelevant.
    Which makes me think you didn't understand anything about my argument, because I'm still wondering what the hell do old models have to do with encounter difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by WuxianLP View Post
    I don't see the issue with this.
    Yes, I play zoomed out, with most raid bosses at the cvar max, but with the new action camera options, we'll be able to
    see the whole bossmodel anyways. And that's what I wanted. I always wanted to have my character closer and that's now possible.
    couldn't you zoom in before this? i don't get how it is somewhat different now

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Because using full zoom out gives advantage, which means everyone HAS to do it, which means that's what Blizzard has to design their encounters around.
    It's an advantage ANYONE can get though, with a simple google search. It's not like a resource few select can get but others cannot. Hell, give everyone that advantage by increasing the slider. Don't remove it from everyone when you have let it exist for years.

HAS? why? you only HAVE to, when you see the NEED to. And if you NEEDED to, you COULD get it. Easily. Where's the unfair here?

That logic is also flawed by the way. Anyone with a better computer or internet connection has an advantage over the others with worse. They don't seem to balance the game around this, do they?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Which makes me think you didn't understand anything about my argument, because I'm still wondering what the hell do old models have to do with encounter difficulty.
    Don't bother, it's just grasping at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melsiren View Post
    So in your mind, you think that from this point forward they won't make encounters that require you to zoomed out past max distance to actually see anything?

That's fine from this point forward, assuming they don't make encounters like the ones they have made for the past 8 years.

You have more faith in Blizzard then me.
    In the past, they have successfully addressed issues with good design rather than band-aid. One example would be increasing bag size vs reducing the amount of junk you carry in bags. They did already say multiple times that raid encounter mechanics are getting overly complicated and bloated. Perhaps this is a step towards changing their raid design philosophy.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I forgot about the max distance console command for I think several expansions now. I won't notice a darn thing.

It's an advantage ANYONE can get though, with a simple google search. It's not like a resource few select can get but others cannot. Hell, give everyone that advantage by increasing the slider. Don't remove it from everyone when you have let it exist for years.

HAS? why? you only HAVE to, when you see the NEED to. And if you NEEDED to, you COULD get it. Easily. Where's the unfair here?

That logic is also flawed by the way. Anyone with a better computer or internet connection has an advantage over the others with worse. They don't seem to balance the game around this, do they?
    It's not about not being able to do this, it's about blizzard not wanting to designing their game around maximum zoom distance.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account

And how is it good design that to get the "best" option you have to do research outside of the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    In the past, they have successfully addressed issues with good design rather than band-aid. One example would be increasing bag size vs reducing the amount of junk you carry in bags. They did already say multiple times that raid encounter mechanics are getting overly complicated and bloated. Perhaps this is a step towards changing their raid design philosophy.
    Only time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

People WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over exaggerating this as an issue.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    This might seem stupid but, consider the following:

The current maxcameradistance is either too small, too big, or just perfect.

It can't be "just perfect", because its entirely random setting and nobody considered the implications on raiding and other activities while introducing it.

If it's too small, then what maxdistance is ok? Should we be able to zoom out so much we see whole Stormwind or Orgrimmar in one screenshot? There is no limit to it, but, as Blizzard says, some limit MUST exist. And logically, this limit is probably the moment when the zoom-out begins to destroy immersion. Also, it rather isnt too small, as nobody till this moment complained the maxcameradistance should be increased.

Then it's too big. And that's the logical conclusion.
    It is stupid. The choice of max camera distance isn't binary, too big or too small (the 3rd choice of "perfect" is subjective and can be anything in between big or small, therfore, not even considered). There is a slider. It can be way up (to a point Blizzard deems as maximum) or down (first person perspective). We have the way up choice limited. With no compelling reason why. A player should be able to choose HIS optimal way of playing a game that is built around a MMO world> It's not Diablo or Starcraft or HotS, where the more information of the game world radically changes the gameplay.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I weren't unsubbed I would unsub for this.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Hopefully they will consider the amount of players in favour of keeping the console distances what they want and keep it as it is, those who never used it obviously had no issues, those who use it get to keep it. They dont need to waste a single minute of their time on this. If those playing at max distance want to play up close and personal they can at any given wish. 100% waste of time, energy any money wasted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geschan View Post
    I don`t think that the reduction in camera distance is really that bad of a thing.
    Most boss encounters are fought in closed rooms where the camera was limited thanks to the ceiling anyway.
    It is still possible to zoom out far enough to watch the whole raid.

What I personally find astonishing is the amount of hatred and toxicity in the answers to the post.
    Are people really believing that attacking watcher and calling him an idiot will make blizzard revert the change?
    Worked for flying didn't it? Also, they (as a company) need to expect a certain amount of vitriol if they insist on pushing through half thought out ideas that make no sense or contain any value other then being a pain in the ass.

Hmm, okay, more options are better, no question there.
    I totally fail to see why the slider should not go the full way to 4.0 if the main concern really would be to
    give equal options to everyone.

But testing between Live and PTR shows that I am currently using 2 on Live and it works just fine for me.
    And an the PTR the acutal limit is 1.8999999761581 or 1.9.
    The difference between 2.0 and 1.9 really is no big enough issue for me to file a complaint.

Earlier Versions of WoW allowed way less thru the Interface.
    And the diffence between 2.0 and 4.0 is less than I expected.

What is the value you are currently using on live?
    /run print(GetCVar("CameraDistanceMaxFactor"))

More annoying for me are all the places with a rather low ceiling that force the camera way closer to the char.
    And these won't be changed.