Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you talk in instances or PUG's?

Hey all,

Just curious to see what everyone here thinks about this. I've been lately dungeon spamming a lot and trying to get that social feeling out of it by talking in the chat. What I found is a lot of players don't really talk in /i or even respond when I do. Now, I must say I've been running low level dungeons with a new character and I feel like I have gotten fairly lucky because I have gotten a bunch of in-game friends during this experience.

I think it's a shame especially at low levels that people don't really talk in dungeons, but would rather speedrun through. Social aspect of the game is really something new players don't really get to see in today's PUG's. I have run into a few new players so far and managed to even help them understand some things better, also something that I don't see happening that much..

Do you talk in instances or PUG's? Do you just think that's total bs and everyone should just keep to themselves? Hit me with those opinions!

No, not really.
    I'm not inte thoes dungeons to make friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, not really.
    I'm not inte thoes dungeons to make friends.
    I am not blaming you and i do the same. But this is mainly what is wrong with wow now. People go into the dungeon and want it done rather before it starts. No time to talk to players and socializing like we did before when wow was great, community wise. And the fact that 9 out of 10 players you will never see again. Makes this game more and more into a singleplayer experience. At the current level i wouldnt mind blizzard to introduce solo lfr.

Yes, I do all the time. I'm a social butterfly.

I try to. But a lot of people simply ignore it. I love folks that play MMOs to ignore other people. Makes a lot of sense.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

Yeah, I always do, but there's guaranteed to be at least one person who absolutely refuses to talk. That's totally fine, I just don't fully understand why. I'm sure some of them may have an extreme social anxiety or there's a language barrier, but I doubt that's true of everybody.

LFD can be pretty dull, especially as you level, and having conversations with strangers makes them way more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    I am not blaming you and i do the same. But this is mainly what is wrong with wow now. No time to talk to players and socializing like we did before when wow was great, community wise.
    Sadly this is not a wow problem, it happens pretty much with most mainstream multiplayer games. Because way too many people get lured in and play to win and/or for a feeling of accomplishment (doing a quick dungeon and get the rewards; doing a quick raid and get some loot; do a pvp match to get some conquest; etc), and the same happens with many other (especially competitive/pvp) multipalyer games.

The moment players are playing not because they enjoy the gameplay itself (activity), mostly just the rewards (result), it's very hard to have a healthy community.

Now that's not to say there weren't people like that in Vanilla -> WotLK. But like you say, at least then the game mechanics helped people make sure they at least tried not to be awful to others in order to have people in their realm to do stuff with. In a sense, despite WoW easily being considered a mainstream game well since the start, it always behaved as small and close communities because of the realm system.

Realms are a mess when the game's hype starts dying and people start leaving, though.Playing with silent people (and the occasional people who'll actually be nice and/or have a small chat) is still better than having no one to play. Although arguably there would be better solutions.

Maybe someday we'll see a resurgence of those communities in some form - for instance if Blizzard implements legacy or pristine realms.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-06-26 at 10:57 AM.

Many suffers from autism,they dont even reply to whispers.

I say hello at first and then see what happens from there, when people aren't interested in talking (they usually aren't), trying to push them into it just annoys them...

No one talks in dungeons. When someone writes "Hi" I immediately try to kick him for breaking my immersion.

I usually say hello or something, then I just focus on playing instead of wasting time typing.

I mean idk. Generally just pull and keep pulling. I don't really have a reason to unless they ask a question or something. Never did back bc or wrath or anytime really. There never is reason. Getting gear and raiding is all that matters to me ill socialize with my guild if i feel like even doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must admit, I rarely come across people that spark my interest anymore. Most people only wanna talk about weird - Read: Not really funny stuff - and unless it sparks my interest I don't even pay attention to the party chat. It's in a seperate window for raid/party so I can click if off if I want too.

Talking in an instance / pug = instant votekick. Bad idea to talk.

Only if others talk first

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more inclined to talk I get grouped with people from my own server. But if others talk I join the convo if I can most of the time regardless.

-Enter dungeon
    -only reply with a hi there, if a hi was stated.
    EDIT: -i keep silent throughout the instance.
    -focus mode to finish dungeon quick and smooth!
    -when done, i say: cheers, have a great/good day/night.
    -leave dungeon.
    Last edited by Vimtu; 2016-06-26 at 11:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used to, not really anymore. Too many bots and some who just aren't mentally aware. So I keep to myself, if someone says something then yeah I might spark a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    I am not blaming you and i do the same. But this is mainly what is wrong with wow now. People go into the dungeon and want it done rather before it starts. No time to talk to players and socializing like we did before when wow was great, community wise. And the fact that 9 out of 10 players you will never see again. Makes this game more and more into a singleplayer experience. At the current level i wouldnt mind blizzard to introduce solo lfr.
    This was always how wow worked.
    I never had any intrest in talking to randoms in vanilla either.
    The game was not more "social" just becase you hade to spam the chat for 3-4 hours befor you got a tank.

People just remember the good stuff and somehow forget that the wow community has always been made up by people that aren't all that intrested in socializing outside of thier guild or small group of close friends.

Deleted
    Nope there is no point i will never see those guys ever again and there is no need for commucation at all as dungeons are so easy so you just rush trough them and leave.