Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    And yet, it doesn't undermine democracy at all. Democracy has no time limit.
    So what? An endless cycle of referendums that drain money?

Deleted
    I'd prefer the results to stick, so that Scottland and Northern Ireland can retain strong reasons for their own independence. It's obvious from the polling results that the Scotts and the Irish opinions differ wildly from the English and Welsh, an impending Brexit within a Brexit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well, perhaps Scotland wants to be in EU more than it wants to be in UK - so they are legitimately right to have another referendum on the topic.
    And what if Scotland vote IN again? The SNP will demand another and another and another

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

Even before they won, by 1.9%, leavers were complaining about the vote being rigged because of pencils instead of pens.
    If every decision was automatically debated again at the end of the first we'd be stuck in limbo forever. Never doing anything. It'd be a terrible system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elderahn View Post
    I'd prefer the results to stick, so that Scottland and Northern Ireland can retain strong reasons for their own independence. It's obvious from the polling results that the Scotts and the Irish opinions differ wildly from the English and Welsh, an impending Brexit within a Brexit.
    So does North England and South England

a 51 49 vote on something as drastic as leaving EU

and you wonder why people want another vote?

shills

not only do you make an illogical claim without anything to back it up you must seem to think that your opponents are going to just up and fucking vanish, cause you did lose to a majority.
    so i have to ask, what have you been smoking?
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And what if Scotland vote IN again? The SNP will demand another and another and another
    They stay in, they don't need no new rules to have another go at it. Circumstances changed.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Because if leave lost the second referendum they'd demand a third. And if they won that remain would demand a fourth. It completely undermines democracy in every possible way. If democracy worked like that it would be pointless.
    Mm. In addition a lot of the signatures on the petition aren't even originating from real people, apparently. Or they're originating from people who shouldn't be voting anyway because they're not living in the United Kingdom/planning to go there anytime soon. For those who recall the ridiculous petition to ban Donald Trump from the United Kingdom it was very much the same scenario then, too. With people from Africa and Australia seeking to sign the petition too...despite it not applying to them at all.

Of course the biased mainstream media is not reporting on that particular aspect...to few people's surprise. It would be very silly for there to be a second referendum. What are they going to do with it? If Leave win it still won't be enough for those kicking and screaming about the result. If Remain win, that doesn't change the fact that the first result was in favour of Leave. Do we get a third? It's just pointless stalling/panic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    a 51 49 vote on something as drastic as leaving EU

and you wonder why people want another vote?

shills
    And how exactly would a second change anything?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    Keep calling for referendums until you get the results you want?
    Yeah, i guess that this is what ppl want tbh XD

probably the same way the first vote changed something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    probably the same way the first vote changed something?
    Im assuming you didn't read my OP

If a second referendum did occur two things would occur, either LEAVE wins again thus wasting time money resources or REMAIN wins and LEAVE demand a third referendum. If a 3rd referendum is refused an outcry far exceeding now will occur BUT if a 3rd referendum is allowed it completely devalues the entire democratic purpose

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Scotland voted IN by 51%, leaving half the country divided.
    Scotland voted IN on the pretense of promises and powers, NONE of which have ever been lived upto.
    Scotland voted IN because of a depraved campaign of fear and loathing.

Everything about our referendum sickened me to my core, and might have forever turned me against the "democratic" establishment we call the United Kingdom.

And unsurprisingly the EU referendum wasnt much different, you see documentaries surrounding North Korea and their militant efforts in propaganda, but by god is it any different here, its just more subtle.

If you dont realise how incredibly bad a situation Scotland, NIreland, Wales and the North of England are put in because of this EU decision, then you cant comment on the legitimacy of referendums.
    First of all, it was 55 % IN, as I am sure you know well.

Secondly the thing that sickness you about that referendum is that your side lost it, nothing more. I remember your temper tantrums after remain won.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are regretting their vote now they are starting to see the consequences.

Anyways, britain build itself a massive wall that it can no longer tear down, nor keep building. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
    Probably less so if you are a brit yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    If we end up having a second referendum then it'll be the worst thing to happen to democracy in a long time.

People will just whine and demand referendums for everything until they get their own way. The people signing that petition are petty and should be mocked.
    Referendums aren't legally binding, so holding one and making it binding is already a slap in the face of democracy.

Not to mention to pass laws and important matters legally it always requires a 2/3rd majority, for one partition to rule on it's own it requires 2/3rd of the majority. The fact that Brexit which essentially is one party, is 8% short of that 2/3rd majority, it theoretically means the vote is invalid. There's enough loopholes that can undo this referendum granted that there's a majority for it in the parliament.

And I'm fairly sure this will happen, there will be new elections before Cameron goes, and then seeing at how many people regretted it and how shit their economy has become over those months, it will make a lot of the leavers vote for pro EU partitions and the referendum vote will be undone (granted that the pro EU partitions get that 2/3rd majority).
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2016-06-26 at 01:46 PM.

Well considering there's 28% of people who didn't vote, I would say it's a fairly important matter and everyone should be voting. Plus what about all the people living abroad (EU and other countries) who didn't receive their postal vote?

There will be a second vote. It will almost certain be a win for remain at a bigger gap.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    People are regretting their vote now they are starting to see the consequences.
    That's the reason not to do the second one. They must own the consequences of their decisions. It's not a game, you cannot "save game". Allowing them to do it again will devalue referendums as everyone will know that it can be reverted if it doesn't work out immediately. The government in the future might even decline referendum requests on such grounds - "there's a risk it won't work out so we better not do it and roll our way".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Referendums aren't legally binding, so holding one and making it binding is already a slap in the face of democracy.

Not to mention to pass laws and important matters legally it always requires a 2/3rd majority, for one partition to rule on it's own it requires 2/3rd of the majority. The fact that Brexit which essentially is one party, is 8% short of that 2/3rd majority, it theoretically means the vote is invalid. There's enough loopholes that can undo this referendum granted that there's a majority for it in the parliament.
    No just no,

Where did you get your 2/3 majority from. That is the rule in USA, not Britain...
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by samus View Post
    There will be a second vote. It will almost certain be a win for remain at a bigger gap.
    Yes, after needless fear mongering and mainstream media bias.

What then? It would still leave Leave with one victory and Remain with a victory as well. Do we get a third vote in that scenario?