Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Detroit was dependent on the auto industry. When they learned of the marvels of manufacturing overseas, they left, and Detroit was doomed. The same thing goes for Flint.
    This is generally what you'll find in most places that are experiencing serious urban decay. They depended heavily upon a particular industry, and that industry collapsed in that city and wasn't fully replaced by anything else.

Sometimes it's a manufacturing industry, sometimes it's based on resource extraction and the source dries up.

Deleted
    Detroit was dependent on the auto industry. When they learned of the marvels of manufacturing overseas, they left, and Detroit was doomed. The same thing goes for Flint.
    The wonders of capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    The wonders of capitalism.
    made in communist hellholes.
    two wretched serpents that deceive with half truths and play off each other in a macabre puppet show of bloody death.
    we are his...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPuK1vib_c

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    This is like creationists trying to smear evolution by calling it a religion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adarian View Post
    made in communist hellholes.
    two wretched serpents that deceive with half truths and play off each other in a macabre puppet show of bloody death.
    Well that escalated and got gloomy fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I was referring to the cities mentioned in the OP's opening question.
    Yes, and his point was that since the majority of cities are run by Democrats, both the good and the bad cities are run by Democrats. So saying "Democrats ruined these cities!" is stupid because obviously it's working elsewhere.

Your initial point about economics and demographics was spot on, but you just had to make it a left-vs-right issue. Oh no, we can't talk about an issue affecting whites, blacks, mexicans, democrats and republicans along with numerous other groups all below the poverty line without blaming some faceless man in a red/blue suit!
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2016-06-26 at 05:39 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    The auto industry wouldnt have left if it wasnt for the greedy unions forcing manufacturers forcing the companies to pay people with no skill jobs like installing windshield wipers $30 an hour and a lifelong pension after retirement

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Police disproportionately target blacks because blacks disproportionately commit crimes. To argue otherwise or shout racism is retarded, you can literally look at the numbers. Obviously this is because blacks are disproportionately impoverished for reasons stated earlier. The police being more lenient is an absurd solution to this problem.
    http://newsexaminer.net/crime/the-sh...rest-warrants/

Go take a read. And then explain why black defendents were 68% less likely to have warrants dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    And do blacks deserve reparations for being the target of illicit schemes by financial institutions? Sure, if they can make their case in a court of law then they are entitled to the legal recompense afforded them by the law.
    I imagine its rather difficult to afford a lawyer when you have no money because a bank pinched it from you. Government might help although a major political party freaks out when they do. Something about attacking "job creators".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Are you seriously asking why poorer areas have higher crime?
    How about asking WHY we let cities within our own country become so poor in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Lincoln should have never been. When the founders wrote the constitution that gave every man no matter what the skin color full liberty and freedom. Unfortunately we had a government that wanted to oppress people and keep people down. It still happens to this day.

It's sad to see with such a great idea as the US constitution that slavery existed, but man loves oppressing other man.
    That's because you got it wrong.

When our founding fathers wrote the constitution, in saying that "all men are created equal", they were actually only referring to white male property owners. Let's not forget that at least some of our founding fathers owned slaves, but let's also not forget that more than a few free blacks, owned slaves as well. In saying "all men are created equal", they were also excluding women.

- - - Updated - - -

Factory jobs start at $15 an hour, so...
    Only because wages for factory workers have gone down. Workers in the auto industry used to start at $25-30/hour, many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The auto industry wouldnt have left if it wasnt for the greedy unions forcing manufacturers forcing the companies to pay people with no skill jobs like installing windshield wipers $30 an hour and a lifelong pension after retirement
    Those greedy unions that insure a good wage and stable employment for you.

You should grow up and be like me. Own a small business and not have to worry about the dread "unions".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The illegal guns, drugs, and crime has to go somewhere.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post
    That's because you got it wrong.

When our founding fathers wrote the constitution, in saying that "all men are created equal", they were actually only referring to white male property owners. Let's not forget that at least some of our founding fathers owned slaves, but let's also not forget that more than a few free blacks, owned slaves as well. In saying "all men are created equal", they were also excluding women.

- - - Updated - - -

Only because wages for factory workers have gone down. Workers in the auto industry used to start at $25-30/hour, many years ago.
    I don't care. To me the US Constitution is universal in the United States. Whether you believe in God or mother nature our freedom is endowed by either. However government and other people who support tyrannical oppressive governments disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    I don't care. To me the US Constitution is universal in the United States. Whether you believe in God or mother nature our freedom is endowed by either. However government and other people who support tyrannical oppressive governments disagree with that.
    Well, I'm actually an anarchist, totally opposed to govt. micromanagement, and campaigning for Trump, so..

I was just pointing out the reality of our founding father's true intent.

"Bad" is relative. I'm sure a whole handful of people would rather be in Detroit than Fallujah.

And disenfranchised youth, white,black or brown, will lead to crime. Find a way to give youths hope and something to work for and you will cut out a large portion of crime in urban areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, you want an answer?
    Look at every page of this thread, and you see the reason..
    A country populated with about 50% idiots whose brains don't function any better than being the petting zoo of two parties and with that busy to blame each other for every mistake ever made, instead of shutting the fuck up and fixing the mistakes together.
    The other 50% are overwhelmed and wish they'd live on another planet, far from the idiots.

That's really about as close to the condensed "zeitgeist" in the country as it gets.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    A country populated with about 50% idiots whose brains don't function any better than being the petting zoo of two parties and with that busy to blame each other for every mistake ever made, instead of shutting the fuck up and fixing the mistakes together.
    Why do you live there if you hate Americans so much?

Democrats are the big reason.

They tax and regulate business and people out of the city.
    They don't crack down on crime.
    Democrat cities have, ironically (not really), more racist police.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblecrush View Post
    The cousin of cultural enrichment: melanin enrichment
    Are there any American cities in which the black side of town is NOT crime-ridden? It's not a racist question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Why do you live there if you hate Americans so much?
    You were completely missing the point.
    And no, I don't hate them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Are there any American cities in which the black side of town is NOT crime-ridden? It's not a racist question.
    There shouldn't be a black side, white side, brown side.
    Ghettoization has very nasty side effects.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I live in Chicago and the only really sketchy areas are on the south side. The rest of the city is totally lovely. I feel quite safe walking about almost anywhere. Very few neighborhoods have caused me to think twice- and most of the neighborhoods are not impoverished at all.

That is to say, most neighborhoods are well kept. Potholes in spring are like the commonest sign of dereliction; by summer they are usually paved over.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket22 View Post

I'd like to second this. And before I go any further, from what I personally see, what took place in Flint and Detroit was greed and corruption on both ends of the spectrum, with the little guy's taking a hit in the end.

That being said, union's are notorious for looking out for the higher ups in the unions themselves as well as the long term employees (who are typically active in the union) and often any downsizing effects the younger workers. When you couple this though with the older workers typically getting paid more but also working easier jobs (often they give those that are favored by the union easier work, and the young guy's deal with much more difficult tasks), problems start to arise. What's even worse is that the younger guy's have no advantage over working harder than the guy's who have been in the union's longer.

This ultimately leads to massive problems with production, and while I'm sure it's not the only reason, I can't help but feel it's a big part of the problems with the US auto industry, allowing other countries to rise to power.

I've seen some of the stuff personally, as I've had a variety of family members and relatives that have been in unions. My dad was literally able to show up to work, leave after an hour or two, come home and sleep, and get paid for 8 hours lol. Guy's would show up drunk to work and not get reprimanded. My brother in law was in the electricians union and if you didn't feel like doing a job, you could say "fuck you" to your boss, leave, and not get in trouble for it lol. It doesn't matter how big a business is, any business that allows that stuff for long will inevitably have problems and that's pretty much the case right now in America.

So it's not just these cities relying heavily on one industry that is the problem, there's a lot of stuff that leads up to those industries crashing that often do not get credit.