Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reklia View Post
    I wasn't expecting this to turn into a hate topic for cats.

My cat has gone outside all her life. Happy or not I couldn't condemn a cat to staying indoors all their life. I couldn't deny a cat the fun and wonders of exploring nature. From when she was a kitten I've played with her regular, groomed her, fed her well and so on. With the fuss I give her she goes outside for about 5 hours a day and comes in of a night, though in the winter she stays in most of the day.

I do wonder about families that keep cats. I wonder if they are the type of cats who have a more vicious streak in them due to lack of attention. My cat doesn't bother with birds much unlike others in my area who seem more intent on their prey. I wont lie, my cat has killed roughly 4 in her 11 year life so far. I feed birds in return, and I admit you'll be thinking that sounds like a terrible idea with cats roaming doesn't it? I keep the feeders in small tree thats kept in check (and on a thin fence where cats couldn't run at birds or climb easily) with the area around it bare so the birds have a chance to get away. My feeders are the kind that catch most of the seed and the pigeons are the main culprit for cleaning it off the floor since they can't get at the feeders. Since I moved in a few years ago nobody fed birds. I can certainly see now a surge of them with quite a few nesting nearby.

But as someone mentioned in the thread earlier, prey that is caught is usually the weak and slow. It did sadden me when I found the corpses of birds but its just nature to me. A few years ago my grandmother developed a hatred for birds of prey because she witnessed a blackbird die from one. So it doesn't surprise me to see people hate on cats for doing their business in they garden, killing birds or scratching at things they own..

Whilst non cat owners would scoff at this if I saw another cat doing its business in my garden and I was too late to stop it I'd just accept it. However I could understand the frustration of someone who gets an abnormal amount of cats crapping and scraping plants. Whenever my cat wants to go out to poop or pee I encourage her to go out in our back garden, and to her credit usually does it there.

In short I don't agree at all with being called a terrible owner. There are however some people out there I believe who think a cat is just feed and let outside. I don't think of them as a pet, but a companion. After all, they say a cat owns you :P
    Hm...what's your nationality?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about "normal" Cats are an invasive species, they are responsible for so many bird deaths, and several species are endangered and extinct because of them. Cats shouldn't be outside it's not responsible.
    Normal = people from outside of america that dont rip their cats paws apart
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Literally everyone who has disagreed with me so far live in America. W/e, keep crying over tiny kitty poops and ripping poor innocent claws out, just stay away from the rest of us normal people.
    Europe is bereft of the street-crawling, cat-eating, perfectly-happy-around-people, crepuscular suburb dwelling canines known as coyotes, which are quite common throughout the United States.

So it's really not a matter of not wanting to stand in cat poop, it's a matter of not wanting your cat to be killed. Not by someone in a car that accidentally hits it, or by it getting lost, but by an animal that will actively hunt cats.

Not to mention the tremendously negative impact cats have on local bird populations.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    What the fuck are you talking about "normal" Cats are an invasive species, they are responsible for so many bird deaths, and several species are endangered and extinct because of them. Cats shouldn't be outside it's not responsible.
    What.

We always have our cats outside. Two out of our three cats are outside cats, the other one prefers to stay indoors. She goes outside, but doesn't go further than our backyard and even then, comes back inside after a short period of time. The other two go outside, stay in the backyard or a little bit further (We are attached to a bushy area with plenty of plants and trees to take cover in).

Our cats never really killed any birds. After 15 years I only remember 1 or 2 birds. They didn't even eat them. And a toad too, but I brought that guy back to what I thought was a nice area.

I don't know how it's overthere in the USA, but over here in the Netherlands, pretty much everybody who doesn't live in an appartment lets their cats go outside. I moved to the city, but I didn't want to take my cats with me from my parents home because overhere, they can't go outside, except my balcony. Keeping cats only inside is imo not responsible. They want (Most cats in my experience) to go outside.

Deleted
    Again can we STFU about this... RSPCA approve of outside and inside cats, I don't really care what America thinks as different ecosystem

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you even fucking know what an invasive species is? Because i highly doubt that. An invasive species is something like the big american squirrel which somehow ends up in europe and there takes away the living room for the normal suirrels that live their. Cats live in Europe for thausands of years but ofc a dumb amrican couldn´t even know something this easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Do you even fucking know what an invasive species is? Because i highly doubt that. An invasive species is something like the big american squirrel which somehow ends up in europe and there takes away the living room for the normal suirrels that live their. Cats live in Europe for thausands of years but ofc a dumb amrican couldn´t even know something this easy.
    In his defence cats in America are a newly imported invasive species, so perhaps that's why Americans have a NO OUTDOOR mindset

Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Normal = people from outside of america that dont rip their cats paws apart
    Say what you will about declawing, but it's not even half as bad as debarking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Cats in Africa and Eurasia aren't invasive because they've lived there thousands of years and have wild ancestors living there.

The Americas or Oceania though...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Say what you will about declawing, but it's not even half as bad as debarking.
    That's illegal here or very close to

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    That's illegal here or very close to
    I wish it was illegal in the States.

It's seem like and inhumane practice. If you can't care of a dog, rehome it, don't mutilate it. If a neighbor complains about the barking, hire a dog trainer, don't mutilate it.

People are responsible for 99% of the animals which go extinct, we should stay inside 24/7.

I have 2 cats, both neutered. One of them stays inside whole day and the other one spends the whole day outside. When we first got him we'd try to keep him inside but he'd tear the whole house apart and try to sneak out every chance he'd get. Maybe we suck as owners but ever since we let him outside he's the sweetest thing ever.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

I wish it was illegal in the States.

It's seem like and inhumane practice. If you can't care of a dog, rehome it, don't mutilate it. If a neighbor complains about the barking, hire a dog trainer, don't mutilate it.
    Debarking is actually less cruel than declawing.

A SUCCESSFUL declawing causes early arthritis spine issues, constant pain from walking (for their lifetime!), behavioral problems (not wanting to use litterboxes due to pain; aggression due to not being able to properly defend themselves) and increased aggression due to both pain and having to resort to biting rather than striking to alert people that they're unhappy.

Declawing is a horrible practice, only dwarfed by those that have "happy outdoor cats" that shit in everyone's yard, destroy property, and end up dead to cars and wild animals. Your cats aren't going out to be social - cats are solitary creatures, they don't flock in happy cat herds. Getting near another outdoor cat just increases their chance of feline HIV, infections, and various wounds from fighting. Good reward for socializing, I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Debarking is actually less cruel than declawing.

A SUCCESSFUL declawing causes early arthritis spine issues, constant pain from walking (for their lifetime!), behavioral problems (not wanting to use litterboxes due to pain; aggression due to not being able to properly defend themselves) and increased aggression due to both pain and having to resort to biting rather than striking to alert people that they're unhappy.

Declawing is a horrible practice, only dwarfed by those that have "happy outdoor cats" that shit in everyone's yard, destroy property, and end up dead to cars and wild animals. Your cats aren't going out to be social - cats are solitary creatures, they don't flock in happy cat herds. Getting near another outdoor cat just increases their chance of feline HIV, infections, and various wounds from fighting. Good reward for socializing, I guess.
    RSPCA disagrees

Hm...what's your nationality?
    English my good sir

RSPCA disagrees
    This quite clearly from an American perspective.

My car was destroyed because we had 5-10 "happy outdoor cats" in our neighborhood. Most of those happy outdoor cats were severely malnourished and constantly pregnant, leading to more cats. They destroyed the paint on my car because I didn't have a cover for it - and I mean destroyed. Even the SIDES have cat scratches going down them from those fuckers slipping off the car. Not to mention the dogs constantly eating cat shit because they'd come to OUR backyard and shit in it, then puking in the house from it.

When I get a new car the first outdoor cat I see by it gets trapped and to the shelter. Second time, a shelter 50 miles away in another city. Third time, a bill to the owner and the cat sent to the same shelter. Outdoor cats are a fucking menace.

Deleted
    This quite clearly from an American perspective.

My car was destroyed because we had 5-10 "happy outdoor cats" in our neighborhood. Most of those happy outdoor cats were severely malnourished and constantly pregnant, leading to more cats. They destroyed the paint on my car because I didn't have a cover for it - and I mean destroyed. Even the SIDES have cat scratches going down them from those fuckers slipping off the car. Not to mention the dogs constantly eating cat shit because they'd come to OUR backyard and shit in it, then puking in the house from it.

When I get a new car the first outdoor cat I see by it gets trapped and to the shelter. Second time, a shelter 50 miles away in another city. Third time, a bill to the owner and the cat sent to the same shelter. Outdoor cats are a fucking menace.
    What's from an American perspective? RSPCA or your opinion?

What's from an American perspective? RSPCA or your opinion?
    My opinion on outdoor cats - we have a lot more predators here, and tend to be in non-rural areas with said predators as well.

I have no problem with rural barn cats. They're doing a job. I have a massive problem with people that live in the suburbs and let their cats "roam free in nature" - that's not nature, that's my fucking yard and car, and I'd thank you to keep your shitty practices to your own yard.

Deleted
    My opinion on outdoor cats - we have a lot more predators here, and tend to be in non-rural areas with said predators as well.

I have no problem with rural barn cats. They're doing a job. I have a massive problem with people that live in the suburbs and let their cats "roam free in nature" - that's not nature, that's my fucking yard and car, and I'd thank you to keep your shitty practices to your own yard.
    Well yeah I can acknowledge America having a different stance than Europe for obvious reasons, the issue is European and American members nrealising we have different views

Well yeah I can acknowledge America having a different stance than Europe for obvious reasons, the issue is European and American members nrealising we have different views
    Most of y'all aren't likely to have a car either, right? So you don't know the horror.. I should show you a picture of the trunk of my poor car

I let my cat outside all the time. She was a stray and doesn't like being kept indoors. When she goes outside she either sits at the windowsill watching people or me, stretch out in the sun on the concrete walkway to my house, or go sit in a tree and watch everyone. One thing that drives me nuts is she will want in to use the litter box then ask to be let outside right away after.