10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    I can imagine Blizzard working with more than just one or two major studios.
    i imagine it will depend on the terms of the contract they signed with legendary entertainment
    Hi

I don't see how Blizzard doesn't still have rights to the cinematic universe when they're also producers, you even see their logo in the movie. If they DID sign away all movie rights and Legendary doesn't want to make another, Blizzard could just buy back the rights and make their own films seeing how they have their own film studio now.

BOM just updated with estimates for the weekend:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm

Domestic: $43,886,470 10.6%
    + Foreign: $368,300,000 89.4%
    = Worldwide: $412,186,470
    Last edited by Faier; 2016-06-26 at 03:55 PM.

Oops... even $450M is quite far-fetched with those exponential drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Faier View Post
    BOM just updated with estimates for the weekend:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm

Already beat Pacific Rim which is getting a sequel(starring Finn/John Boyega from Star Wars) and it had 30M more than Warcraft's budget(PR-$190M, Warcraft $160M). Warcraft still has Japan, Argentina, Chile to go. A sequel is looking more and more likely
    Last edited by tangocash; 2016-06-26 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    Already beat Pacific Rim which is getting a sequel
    Pacific Rim had 2,5 times the domestic box office of Warcraft.

Hell, even ID2 domestic opening weekend is more than all the Warcraft after 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2016-06-26 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Pacific Rim had 2,5 times the domestic box office of Warcraft.
    Warcraft is different in that it doesn't need to rely on US numbers as much because Legendary is owned by China where most of the money is being made. It's still a Chinese produced movie in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, even ID2 domestic opening weekend is more than all the Warcraft after 3 weeks.
    Yeah, it's to be expected as a nostalgic sequel. It's funny though if you look at the audience scores on RT. Warcraft-80% liked it. ID2-40% liked it. I saw ID2 last night and it was the worst movie I've seen in theaters in a long time.

Deleted

ID2 is precisely the reason why we can't trust people saying

"Warcraft failed on US box office because we, americans, don't like retarded war movie with bad acting and no story".

What an hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uh, ID2 lost to Finding Dory. The people who went to see it are mostly fans of the original(which was a major blockbuster). Warcraft just doesn't have as many fans in the US. Neither one did all that well in their first week, but ID2 did better based on it being a sequel to a movie many have fond memories of.
    "Fan" is not exactly the word I'd use to define people interested in Pixar movies. Those are family movies if I can put it that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    They relied too much on adding visual candies like Stormwind, Goldshire and other places which tell nothing to the audience. Meanwhile, they even failed to explain who Lothar, Gul'dan, Blackhand are. What is the structure of Azerothian or Orcish societies? Who commands whom and on which authority? You know, the things that audience needs to know.
    Lothar is the leader of Stormwind's military. This was clearly shown and explained several times, from the very first scene he was in.

Gul'dan is the leader of the Orcs. This is clearly shown and explained several times, from the very first scene he was in.

Blackhand is the leader of the Orc military, sort of Gul'dan's second in command. Again, clearly shown and stated several times.

The structure of Azerothian society is clearly shown to be a number of kingdoms led by kings, Stormwind's being Llane Wrynn. Not exactly a complicated concept.

The structure of Orcish society is a conglomeration of tribes/warbands. The tribes are led by chieftains (like Durotan), the entire Horde army is led by Blackhand, and they all basically serve Gul'dan.

None of this is complicated or confusing. Anyone claiming otherwise is either stupid or pretending to be stupid to confirm a pre-determined position. The movie is not a failure, because it's making bucketloads of money worldwide, user ratings on IMDb and similar sites are high, fans of the franchise are overwhelmingly happy with it (a first for game adaptations), and Rotten Tomatoes aggregate scores are not the be-all end-all of film quality. There are "top critics" who gave it good reviews, including the New York Times. Why is that opinion worth less than the opinion of three clickbaity web-only trolls?
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    This is why the movie did so well in China

So AWESOME
    You know despite this just being a commercial, it has some very high quality CGI

Deleted
    Is that commercial in 4k? Cuz I needs that

10+ Year Old Account
    Already at 412 mill it could easily reach 450 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Already at 412 mill it could easily reach 450 at this point.
    Apparently still got 6 more markets coming and its still doing decent in Europe

We WILL hit $450m

I am really hoping the 40 or so minutes that were cut from the film are added for the DvD and that pulls things together a little better. If there is a sequel I hope they learned from the mistakes with pacing. It will make for a much better film next time.

I also feel like if they can get the point where they are telling the story of Arthas they can really pull in people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faier View Post
    Never thought wow movie would earn double the budget, but now it is economic profitable according to conventional wisdom, and yet still it have a bit left in the cinemas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Apparently still got 6 more markets coming and its still doing decent in Europe

We WILL hit $450m
    Those 6 markets will each contribute maybe a million. But yes, we will hit 450 with those and counting in the fact that it's been out for two weeks in most markets and will go away from the theaters in maybe 2 months. Heck, even I plan to watch it at least one more time, maybe two (if my certain 2 friends decide they have the time to watch it), when I get rid of my exams 2 to 3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Every movie has an exponential drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Those 6 markets will each contribute maybe a million. But yes, we will hit 450 with those and counting in the fact that it's been out for two weeks in most markets and will go away from the theaters in maybe 2 months. Heck, even I plan to watch it at least one more time, maybe two (if my certain 2 friends decide they have the time to watch it), when I get rid of my exams 2 to 3 weeks.
    Today the movie has been out 1 month in Denmark (and other countries) so... but its still doing good here, but is ending screenings next next week

Deleted
    How much has Warcraft sold in Europe? From portugal to iceland to russia, surely if we count it all, it won't look so grim?

Anyways, does anyone know where I can buy a decent-sized Chinese poster? I tried Amazon but they had no bigger than 40cm which I feel is too small..