Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    what point of mine do you think you disproved to get me to say something that I've believed about American culture for the last 10 years?
    what exactly have you believed for 10 years and what exactly does it have to do with this conversation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    But i bet stabbings, beatings, poisoning, drowning and any other way you want to think of went through the roof

Then you'd lose that bet, since all aspects of Australian violent crime have gone down or leveled out after the gun laws were fully implemented in the early 2000's:

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/violent%20crime.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    what exactly have you believed for 10 years and what exactly does it have to do with this conversation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    it's been great at keeping minorities off the streets, and that was the whole point of it.

the whole point of making certain guns illegal would be to take those gun owners off the street.

oh but gun owners are white people, and it would be "un-Ammerican" to incarcerate that many white people, amirite?
    ................./10char
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    When was the last time you heard about multiple killings by one person with a knife or a club or a rock? Yeah, I thought so.

You're right that serious background checks should be performed as they do in Australia, not this crap in the US where they simply look on a computer to see if you have an arrest history. In Aus, there is a 28-day cooling off period while they go and ask people who know you about your mental stability, domestic history, alcohol/drug problems, and so on. And if you do pass the requirements to get a license and a gun, if you do anything later that is reason to have them revoked, you will lose that license and the gun(s).
    Case in point, right here^ Let's just ignore people losing their damn minds and hyper focus on guns! That will prevent crazy people from hurting others in the future!

Australia has less than 5% of the total population of the US, spread out over roughly the same size land mass. Add to that fact you live in the Land of Nope, people have far more important things to worry about than having a gun.

If the girls had guns they could have shot their mom before their mom shot them. More guns please.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    If the girls had guns they could have shot their mom before their mom shot them. More guns please.
    Do you even understand what happened here? Three people died. Two of them at the hands of their crazy mother.

Why are you focused on guns still? Grow the fuck up and address the actual issue please.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Do you even understand what happened here? Three people died. Two of them at the hands of their crazy mother.

Why are you focused on guns still? Grow the fuck up and address the actual issue please.
    A gun-nut was an actual nut?

I'm focused on guns cause they could have saved lives! If the daughters had them to protect themselves from this psycho bitch mom, the mom would be dead and the girls would be alive, potentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    I'm focused on guns cause they could have saved lives! If the daughters had them to protect themselves from this psycho bitch mom, the mom would be dead and the girls would be alive, potentially.
    "Family argument becomes four-way shootout" would obviously be a much happier headline. They should all have been armed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Case in point, right here^ Let's just ignore people losing their damn minds and hyper focus on guns! That will prevent crazy people from hurting others in the future!

Australia has less than 5% of the total population of the US, spread out over roughly the same size land mass. Add to that fact you live in the Land of Nope, people have far more important things to worry about than having a gun.
    I guess you forgot about things like per capita, and percentage of population, etc? No mass shootings in 20 years since Port Arthur speaks for itself, when prior to the gun laws they had about 1 every year.

Not a real smart reply, when you totally missed the point that in Aus. they in fact do focus on "crazy people" or those who might have those tendencies. That's the whole point of the more thorough background checks and the waiting period.

I can't help but feel that guns for her was more about a feeling of power, rather than her second amendment rights, or her ability to protect her family.

When she finally snapped she used her power in a horrible way.

This just in. Someone does something dumb with a weapon! Someone uses this as fuel that religion and guns are bad!

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    So what that she had a gun? There are plenty of cases there this shit happens with a knife instead of a gun.

I can laugh at the irony of course. Having a gun to protect the family and ending up killing your family. But that's about it.
    It's a lot easier to avoid someone with a knife than it is with a gun. With a knife, you just have to stay out of arm's reach of them. With a gun, you have to stay completely out of sight and behind something strong enough to take the bullet for you.

I'm not saying you can't kill people with other things, but guns are designed with the explicit purpose of taking life from a distance. They might be used for sport (of which I've done) but the intent for them is to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    It's a lot easier to avoid someone with a knife than it is with a gun. With a knife, you just have to stay out of arm's reach of them.
    You should stop getting your info from TV movies and video games.

While the 21 foot rule is not iron clad, its a pretty good starting point why "staying out of arms reach" is pretty naive. Considering most people freeze up like a dumb animal in the wild.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

While the 21 foot rule is not iron clad, its a pretty good starting point why "staying out of arms reach" is pretty naive. Considering most people freeze up like a dumb animal in the wild.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it's still easy to get tagged with a knife. Someone can sprint at you a lot faster than you expect, but if it's an argument like this that gets heated and someone draws a knife and starts threatening you, gives you time to react? The girl who ran off and got shot in the back would almost definitely be alive right now.

And while some with more experience would wildly swing as fast as they can, someone inexperienced is probably going to go in for the stab or the single slash, which is easier to keep from hitting something vital.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

No point in trying to talk sense into these people, they've found their scapegoat. Let em have it.

Quote Originally Posted by iQ Superi0r View Post
    I don't know, but I have the impression that many of these gun lovers simply wait for an opportunity to use their guns, even when it is against their own family members. A 'heated argument' like described in the article was enough in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

If she only had a knife, the husband would have had a much better chance to stop her. A small weak women can kill her entire family with a gun, but with a knife that is a much more unlikely.
    If that was the case there would be no way anti guns would dare open their mouths to gun owners. Because we'd just kill you with our guns when you piss us off.

- - - Updated - - -

Please raise your hand if you would feel better if she had pushed them out of a window.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Please raise your hand if you would feel better if she had pushed them out of a window.
    So it makes you feel better that they were shot to death on a whim?

Interesting.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    If that was the case there would be no way anti guns would dare open their mouths to gun owners. Because we'd just kill you with our guns when you piss us off.

- - - Updated - - -

If you would do what you said, you would all end up in jail.
    And let me ask you this, do honestly believe, that she would be able to push both daughters AND husband out of the window like as if she has superpowers ?
    Are you seriously sugesting that ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    This just in. Someone does something dumb with a weapon! Someone uses this as fuel that religion and guns are bad!
    Pretty much.

Let's hit the check list.

Guns are evil.
    Religion is evil.
    White people are evil.
    The NRA is evil.
    Conservatives are evil.

Did I miss anything?

I mean, after the Hillary supporting democrat shot up Orlando, and it was spun as fault of conservatives, nothing surprises me anymore.