Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If I restore my Hunter AFTER the pre-patch hits, will I still unlock the skins?

Title had to be snipped due to length.

Full question:

If I restore my Hunter, which is from pre-cata, after the pre-patch hits will it still unlock all the skins from those now un-obtainable quests from pre-cata and such? I realize that we might not know, but has Blizzard made any kind of statement on this?

I was thinking about unlocking the skins on my druid, deleting it to restore my hunter and getting it's skins unlocked, then 30 days later, restoring the druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Oh, I seemed to have left out information, which should be irrelevant. My hunter and druid share the same name and I don't feel like name changing my druid's name just to restore my hunter (which I have plans on deleting so that I can restore my druid a month later).

There, now that you have that useless information, can I get an answer now?
    Last edited by Lime; 2016-06-27 at 02:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Huh?????????

What are you even asking
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    Huh?????????
    OP has a hunter from pre-cata with completed quests no longer in the game. The new transmog system rewards the look of gear that your class can use from the quest rewards. OP is asking if they restore that deleted hunter, if they will still get the unlocked transmog gear from it.

And to that I have no idea OP. Also did what I say make it better or worse for people to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    OP has a hunter from pre-cata with completed quests no longer in the game. The new transmog system rewards the look of gear that your class can use from the quest rewards. OP is asking if they restore that deleted hunter, if they will still get the unlocked transmog gear from it.

And to that I have no idea OP. Also did what I say make it better or worse for people to understand?
    I mean, I get that, but why not just restore it now? Am I missing something?
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    I mean, I get that, but why not just restore it now? Am I missing something?
    Oh. I have no idea then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, I seemed to have left out information, which should be irrelevant. My hunter and druid share the same name and I don't feel like name changing my druid's name just to restore my hunter (which I have plans on deleting so that I can restore my druid a month later).

There, now that you have that useless information, can I get an answer now?

Deleted
    Surely if you restore it now they simply make you rename the restored character?

I mean I guess maybe not due to that potentially giving a free name change.. could always contact a GM though, they'd be happy to help I expect.

People do this kind of crap? Alrite.

The answer is yes.
    Bleh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caewyr View Post
    Surely if you restore it now they simply make you rename the restored character?
    Was this changed? It used to be ineligible for restoration until you changed the name of/deleted the character who is currently using that name. It'd only be flagged for a rename if another account had the name.

And regardless, I have a friend who's capped on the number of characters on his server. He'd have to delete just to make room, so he's in a similar position and he's also curious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    People do this kind of crap? Alrite.
    You're implying as if there's a logical reason not to do it. What you get by doing it: Unobtainable skins at the cost of not being able to play the deleted character for a month, which considering that it's just pre-patch, means that there really isn't a penalty.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post

Also did what I say make it better or worse for people to understand?
    I missed this, but that was way better, at least for me, and I'm the OP. I was going off things I thought a lot of people knew.
    Last edited by Lime; 2016-06-27 at 02:18 AM.

I would honestly be surprised if they restored your character from pre cata if youve continued to play since then. you obviously didnt care about the character so why would they reward you with unlocks from it lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinite View Post
    I would honestly be surprised if they restored your character from pre cata if youve continued to play since then. you obviously didnt care about the character so why would they reward you with unlocks from it lol.
    I'm making an assumption here about what you posted, so I might be wrong, but in case you didn't know, they made it so that players can freely restore any character from any point in time. It's not how it used to be where you had to hassle a GM or anything. It's a button on the character screen that has a 30 day cooldown. There are people who haven't stopped playing since vanilla, then posting screenshots of their vanilla characters.

the answer is probably yes. they're usually good about things like that.

From what I've seen on the PTR once you unlock an item's appearance it stays in your wardrobe, even if you delete the character immediately after. Kind of like achievements/feats of strength, they stay even if the character no longer exists.

I've only seen 2 exceptions. First, anything that's bought with a special currency. For instance if you buy a tier chest with a token, it will add it to your wardrobe. If you sell the item back within 2 hours, you'll get the token refunded but the appearance will also be removed from your wardrobe. Same thing with BoP items you trade in groups. If you trade it within 2 hours of obtaining the item, it's removed from the wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinite View Post
    Max level characters have been getting saved for years now
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Was this changed? It used to be ineligible for restoration until you changed the name of/deleted the character who is currently using that name. It'd only be flagged for a rename if another account had the name.
    This hasn’t changed. After having read your problem, I created a lvl 1 and tried to restore one of my tbc (lvl 70 – haven’t played since then) characters. It stated I couldn’t do that, as I already own a character with that name. You can always try yourself though, if you don’t believe me.
    Also character restoration is not affected by active sub but just by restoration cd.

As for your main question: While I don't know if you get the mogs from deleted chars nor when the prepatch drops, I'd suggest the following:

If you don't play the druid currently or don't need the druid till prepatch, I'd delete it and restore the hunter now and keep it till prepatch drops and/or the restoration is off cooldown. Then you can still delete the hunter and restore the druid during prepatch/before launch. (Assuming the cooldown expires on inactive subs, too, but I don't know that either).

Yes, of course they will be added.

The system (unless they've royally screwed it up) will just look at that hunter like any other character once you log it in. Being deleted doesn't matter - items are added on login, and all your old quests and IDs will still be tied to that character.

Did this on my druid that I deleted in Wrath and I've had everything added on PTR/Beta.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

OP, you really want to just delete characters for months on end to restore them 30 days later, rather than just change the name?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    OP, you really want to just delete characters for months on end to restore them 30 days later, rather than just change the name?
    I think you might be overthinking this. My hunter, who I only want restored to unlock it's skins, will be the only character who will remain deleted after I unlock the skins. I don't even use that character.

Ideally, this is what it'll look like:
    - Prepatch hits
    - Log onto my Druid (who shares the same name as my hunter) to unlock it's skins
    - Delete Druid
    - Restore Hunter (Puts Restore on a 30 day cooldown)
    - 30 days later when I can restore again, I delete my hunter and restore my druid
    - I then carry on with my life and the hunter remains deleted forever

Doing that, my Druid will only miss 30 days after the pre-patch hits and the prepatch usually lasts for 1 month or longer, so I lose nothing out of doing it.

That sounds way better than spending $20 when I can essentially do it for free. If I was going to use my Hunter, then yeah, sure, I'd just change the name. But I just want those unobtainable skins it has, mainly for my other Hunter that's on another realm.

I think you might be overthinking this. My hunter, who I only want restored to unlock it's skins, will be the only character who will remain deleted after I unlock the skins. I don't even use that character.

Ideally, this is what it'll look like:
    - Prepatch hits
    - Log onto my Druid (who shares the same name as my hunter) to unlock it's skins
    - Delete Druid
    - Restore Hunter (Puts Restore on a 30 day cooldown)
    - 30 days later when I can restore again, I delete my hunter and restore my druid
    - I then carry on with my life and the hunter remains deleted forever

Doing that, my Druid will only miss 30 days after the pre-patch hits and the prepatch usually lasts for 1 month or longer, so I lose nothing out of doing it.

That sounds way better than spending $20 when I can essentially do it for free. If I was going to use my Hunter, then yeah, sure, I'd just change the name. But I just want those unobtainable skins it has, mainly for my other Hunter that's on another realm.
    I've actually done this before for a different reason, but if you make a ticket and ask a GM "Hey I want to restore this character but they have the same name as one of my existing characters so I can't restore them", they'll restore the deleted character and flag it for a rename for you free of charge. I did this with my warlock a while ago. I feel like it helps if you say "I intend to race/faction change later" so it seems less like you're cheating the system, though in my case I followed through so...

I mean, it doesn't exactly answer your question, but it gives you a roundabout to make the question irrelevant, so I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2016-06-27 at 08:15 PM.