Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm heavily on the pro-regulation side of the gun issue, and I find no fault with what this woman did. If I found a strange man in either of my two children's bedrooms at night, I wouldn't hesitate to beat the hell out of him with whatever I had handy, my own personal safety be damned. Not trying to be an internet forum warrior here: chances are decent that that creepy stranger would overpower me, and the situation would quickly decline from there. But I'm a parent. I'd still try. And, like this mom, I wouldn't even pause to talk to the guy first.

One less deranged scumbag spreading destruction... until we find out he is a harmless, senile neighbor who gets confused and wanders off sometimes.

Bernie supporter down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Seems like too much force if he didn't threaten anyone
    are you freaking serious , you got to be trolling

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    Bernie supporter down.
    If you are going to make that joke just know that the joke is anyone under 30 are the self-entitled kids who want everything for free; this guy was a 59-year old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    If you are going to make that joke just know that the joke is anyone under 30 are the self-entitled kids who want everything for free; this guy was a 59-year old man.
    Age is a number. Maturity is a state of mind.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Beefsquatch View Post
    She handled it correctly, end of story. Anyone who thinks she used excessive force is a pussy retard.

I'll gladly take that infraction.
    If MMO-Champion had like buttons, I would like this so hard the East Coast would feel it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old man with a thing for the underage is Trump thing. Or does that only apply to incestuous circumstances?

I have to be honest, when I clicked into the thread I was expecting some tragic twist, like it was her husband back early from a business trip or she had that memory problem where you think people you know have been replaced with imposters.

A 59 year old man looking for a meal ticket in someone else's home, just sayin'.

if it happend as described then no issue.
    but it sound a bit fishy to me.
    will wait till more info is out before passing judgment.

She could him at gunpoint while calling the police, telling him to not move
    no, just no.
    the world doesn't work like that in the middle of the night when you catch an old man in your child's bedroom.
    Bother her and his state of mind will not allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by godgunner View Post
    if it happend as described then no issue.
    but it sound a bit fishy to me.
    will wait till more info is out before passing judgment.
    lol this guy ^

Deleted
    good riddance

Seems like too much force if he didn't threaten anyone
    Good grief, are you a parent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle...h_a_castle_law

Oregon has a Castle Doctrine that would allow for deadly force but it's not perfect (each state that has a castle law is slightly different per state) which is why they will determine if she will be charged.
    That doesn't point to the most relevant statutes.

ORS 161.219 is the limitation on deadly force.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/161.219

Clearly deadly force is okay if the intruder is attempting to commit a burglary. So what is a burglary? It would have to meet the minimum requirements for 2nd degree burglary found in ORS 164.215

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/164.215

A person must "enter or remain unlawfully in a building with an intent to commit a crime therein."

She is likely safe. But if it turns out he was drunk and lived nearby there could be a strong argument that it was a mistake and in that case she could be in trouble. Then her entire case would center around whether her belief that he was going to commit a crime in her house was reasonable.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2016-06-27 at 03:51 AM.

get fucked scumbag. he got what he earned.

I'm fine with her shooting and killing an intruder. The problem is that the vast majority of the time, its not an intruder that's shot. A kid finds it and shoots themselves or someone else, or an adult shoots the wrong person by accident or has a bad day and decides to kill some people.

Quote Originally Posted by b0928 View Post
    I'm fine with her shooting and killing an intruder. The problem is that the vast majority of the time, its not an intruder that's shot. A kid finds it and shoots themselves or someone else, or an adult shoots the wrong person by accident or has a bad day and decides to kill some people.
    that's not even remotely true. those are not a vast majority by any standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    She is likely safe. But if it turns out he was drunk and lived nearby there could be a strong argument that it was a mistake and in that case she could be in trouble. Then her entire case would center around whether her belief that he was going to commit a crime in her house was reasonable.
    At issue in almost any jurisdiction would be what a reasonable person standing in her shoes would have believed, so unless he had a fluorescent vest on with "if I'm in your house, it's probably because my drunk ass got lost", or some other evidence that would make it an unreasonable belief, don't think it would matter.