Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Yeah good idea and hopefully while she's on the phone the guy doesn't rush her and take the gun.
    ooor is armed himself and takes her down

Quote Originally Posted by b0928 View Post
    I'm fine with her shooting and killing an intruder. The problem is that the vast majority of the time, its not an intruder that's shot. A kid finds it and shoots themselves or someone else, or an adult shoots the wrong person by accident or has a bad day and decides to kill some people.
    The same White House ordered CDC study that found those 33000 or so accidental deaths estimated between 500k and 3.3m defensive gun uses per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    At issue in almost any jurisdiction would be what a reasonable person standing in her shoes would have believed, so unless he had a fluorescent vest on with "if I'm in your house, it's probably because my drunk ass got lost", or some other evidence that would make it an unreasonable belief, don't think it would matter.
    Right, I think I updated my post as you were in the middle of responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    At issue in almost any jurisdiction would be what a reasonable person standing in her shoes would have believed, so unless he had a fluorescent vest on with "if I'm in your house, it's probably because my drunk ass got lost", or some other evidence that would make it an unreasonable belief, don't think it would matter.
    All that aside, I'd easily vote not guilty on that jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Hana Song View Post
    Seems like too much force if he didn't threaten anyone
    Got to question SJW's like the above...

So when is the threat, after he's killed or raped the child? After he overpowered the mother and took her gun? etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post

So when is the threat, after he's killed or raped the child? After he overpowered the mother and took her gun? etc.
    "Even then he should be rehabilitated and have a second chance at life, so the child's death wasn't in vain!"

She could him at gunpoint while calling the police, telling him to not move
    Yeah, no. What happens if he's carrying too? It only takes a couple seconds to pull a gun. He could have also leaped at her, hit the gun away, and then killed her.

I am not a sjw, I don't believe in social justice
    Last edited by Hana Song; 2016-06-27 at 04:31 AM.

I am not a sjw, I don't believe in social justice
    You're defending a criminal on the basis he's a human being...

She could him at gunpoint while calling the police, telling him to not move

LOL

She did society a favor. I feel bad she has to clean the mess up though.
    PROUD TO BE CALLED A CONSPIRACY THEORIST

You're defending a criminal on the basis he's a human being...
    I don't think being in someones house should be enough to shoot them dead, I am not defending him

I am not defending him
    Could have fooled me...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think most gun control supporters are against guns being kept for home defense, they just want the market to be more regulated.

My dad owns 3 guns, my grandfather owns 2, I know numerous people who own guns. I don't have a problem with people owning guns, though I wish my family members only had 1, I have a problem with how easy it is to get a gun. Even though I was raised with a strong sense of firearm safety, I know that many aren't. The youngest member of my immediate family is 15, and he knows that guns are only strictly to be used as self/home defense.

Gun safety in the US sucks, as does gun regulation. The woman in the story did nothing wrong, but her story does not diminish the problem with guns in America.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The question here is how reasonable her belief that the guy posed an imminent threat to herself or her children was. That's going to come down to the details of the case and how the jury is feeling that morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Seems like too much force if he didn't threaten anyone
    Do not breed, you are already a danger.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

I don't think being in someones house should be enough to shoot them dead, I am not defending him
    Well, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah, no. What happens if he's carrying too? It only takes a couple seconds to pull a gun. He could have also leaped at her, hit the gun away, and then killed her.
    I get that.

But why confront him in the first place? That's what I'm not getting.

It says she and her children were out of the house. She comes home, notices him up in the bedroom, gets her gun from her purse and goes and shoot him.

He, too, could have been armed. Why not just call the police then? Christ. Not like he's going anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The question here is how reasonable her belief that the guy posed an imminent threat to herself or her children was. That's going to come down to the details of the case and how the jury is feeling that morning.
    No jury is going to go against a woman with 2 children who shot a trespassing man in her daughters bedroom at 1am.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I agree it is a pretty harsh punishment if he was just robbing the place and a tragedy if he happened to just be on drugs and in the wrong house. I think there's too few details about the situation for sure. Unless the guy was clearly unarmed with his hands up and at a distance though, I'd shoot him too because better safe than sorry. Of course, if this was the case it would be fairly easy to tell during investigation and she possibly could get in trouble depending on the state laws.

Point being, you don't know the details of their interaction so it's silly of you to conclude the guy didn't deserve it.
    I have no problems with robbers being wiped from the earth either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    One less deranged scumbag spreading destruction... until we find out he is a harmless, senile neighbor who gets confused and wanders off sometimes.
    Nah, it's just easier to shoot the guy instead of leaving the house and calling the police (resorting to violence only if he becomes threatening).

Are Americans really that scared of everything that your first reaction is to reach for your gun and shoot? Must be a shitty way to live.

Between 2003 and 2007, 3.7 million burglaries occurred in the US. Of those, a household member was present in about 1 million cases. Of those, the household member became a victim of violent crime in about 267,000 cases. In THOSE cases, the offender was known to the victim in 65% of cases.

So your odds of walking in on a stranger in your house is very low, and even if that happens, the odds of them actually victimising you are even lower.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/vdhb.txt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    No jury is going to go against a woman with 2 children who shot a trespassing man in her daughters bedroom at 1am.
    No such thing as something no jury would do
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.