Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    We demand a do-over until the vote goes the way we want it to.

Democracy™

Quote Originally Posted by GaddafiDuck View Post
    It's not going to happen nor should it. If people cannot respect the democratic decision that was made (by the people) then perhaps democracy isn't for them, regardless of how many times those people will tell you otherwise.
    Results were very close. This is why you need that line in the law about what is absolute majority. Because technically even 1 vote could decide. Would you call that democratic?
    This referendum is not about whether Royal Family's dog's food should be paid from personal or goverment pockets, but something far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Nope I'm done you guys can clean up this mess on your own and I'm pretty sure a lot of other working professionals are thinking the same.
    Waaa waaa waaa ?

A lot of working professionals want this, myself included. Time to realise that you're not that special and maybe, just maybe, it's your perspective that needs broadening.

Funny thing is though wasn't it said that there would be no "do over" once the voting is done and the decision is made? Regardless if people "hadn't realized what they were voting for"

And talking of Scotland wanting another referendum, don't they need a 65% or higher "leave" count in order to be even considered for a leave uk referendum? Or had I read that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    And talking of Scotland wanting another referendum, don't they need a 65% or higher "leave" count in order to be even considered for a leave uk referendum? Or had I read that wrong?
    There's no requirement for that no, but the parties in favour of independence will wait until there's consistent polling showing roughly 60% or more before calling one. They have the mandate from the recent Scottish elections though and an independence majority in Holyrood (despite the SNP not having a total majority but the system was set up that way on purpose and the Greens also ran on a pro-independence platform. Also the Scottish Lib Dem members told their party not to stand against one and Scottish Labour don't seem deadset on staying in the Union)

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Look, if you wan't to go down this bullshit argument that requires 100% turnout for anything to be valid, fine; the Tory party was elected on 36% of the vote so they had no mandate to call a referendum.
    I didn't even attempt to go down that route, if people don't care enough about something to vote for/against it then they are not against it, they are not for it either but the point is that trying to appeal to people who are against it will not work on those who don't care.

Don't know how you can say most approve of
    I didn't, I said most "either approve of or don't care about", which is completely correct.

Oh Scotland's economy is diversified, it's not solely reliant on oil.
    But Salmonds financial calculations were, his plan for Scotland was basically "ignore all the experts, I know what I am doing, oil will pay for everything", then oil crashed in value.

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Shh, facts scare people away.
    It would seem so.

Deleted
    Seeing you see a lot of stupid people all around the interwebz talking about how sorry they are for their leave vote.. it might be a good think to do another one.
    That being said I don't care either way as it doesn't affect me as much as I am not living in the UK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I am not sure why people keep comparing our situation to Norway, the UK economy is $2.5 trillion larger - the Swiss economy is larger than Norway and the Swiss economy is about a quarter the size of the UK one.
    If you take away the city then it is comparable.

The city mostly doesn't do anything except make wreckless bets with taxpayer's money.

Yeah, as others have said, that referendum isn't legally binding, and I'm sure, Cameron just chickened out to not have to deal with the real decision. No matter how it goes, it is a sad day for democracy. It's really telling how all of the Brexiteers have gone silent. Really curious how this will pan out.

No matter what, Britain will still have to abide to european rules if they want to trade with the mainland. They will just lose their say (and their veto) in anything europe-related. They gave up all their privileges, and they will have a hard time to negotiate their exit. There is no winner in this, except maybe Frankfurt.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2016-06-27 at 09:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GaddafiDuck View Post
    It would be political suicide to reject it.
    Enough of the hyperbole, we had enough of it during the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    We should have a referendum about whether we should have another referendum.
    I suggest a referendum on your suggestion, which sounds very reasonable.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The petition was a joke started by someone who actually voted Leave. 4chan pranked it.
    PROUD TO BE CALLED A CONSPIRACY THEORIST

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Yeah, as others have said, that referendum isn't legally binding, and I'm sure, Cameron just chickened out to not have to deal with the real decision. No matter how it goes, it is a sad day for democracy. It's really telling how all of the Brexiteers have gone silent. Really curious how this will pan out.

No matter what, Britain will still have to abide to european rules if they want to trade with the mainland. They will just lose their say (and their veto) in anything europe-related. They gave up all their privileges, and they will have a hard time to negotiate their exit. There is no winner in this, except maybe Frankfurt.
    Paris. The sane decision would be Paris. I'm German and I wouldn't want Frankfurt to hold that much financial weight in one place.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Paris. The sane decision would be Paris. I'm German and I wouldn't want Frankfurt to hold that much financial weight in one place.
    Why not Dublin? English speaking country still in the EU with nice low corporation tax and tax loopholes for companies to take advantage of

Quote Originally Posted by Sethanon View Post
    Why not Dublin? English speaking country still in the EU with nice low corporation tax and tax loopholes for companies to take advantage of
    The majority of European population speaks German. *coughs*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethanon View Post
    Last time I went to Dublin majority were Brazilian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    The petition was a joke started by someone who actually voted Leave. 4chan pranked it.
    Yep, saw that on reddit this morning.

Beside, hosting a second referendum would be ultimately against democracy. The vote was made, the results were split - as expected - and now almost half of England is angry. But a bigger part wanted out and if you really prone individual liberty, you will accept it.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I didn't even attempt to go down that route, if people don't care enough about something to vote for/against it then they are not against it, they are not for it either but the point is that trying to appeal to people who are against it will not work on those who don't care.
    Ok fair enough but still, you can't extrapolate not voting to condoning. They might have favoured Remain but grew complacent knowing Scotland would return a heavy Remain vote.

But Salmonds financial calculations were, his plan for Scotland was basically "ignore all the experts, I know what I am doing, oil will pay for everything", then oil crashed in value.
    Actually his estimates of the price of oil were below those of the OBR so to say he ignored all the experts is incorrect. And oil wasn't going to pay for everything, it was and remains a bonus.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2016-06-28 at 05:48 AM.