More accurate to say that some players spend their game time doing what interests them, and that may not always or even often include things that make significant amounts of gil.

But saying it that way doesn't put you on the moral high ground, eh?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    More accurate to say that some players spend their game time doing what interests them, and that may not always or even often include things that make significant amounts of gil.

But saying it that way doesn't put you on the moral high ground, eh?
    More like they simply avoid making money at all costs. They do things like farm Ramuh for a pony, but will throw away or give away any of the orbs they get, then complain that they have no money.

These are the people willing to farm hunts for hours on end to get their unidentified items, these are the people willing to run ARF 20 times a day to farm esos for it, but when it came time to buy their HQ items, it never seemed to occur to them that gil was just another currency just like esos, poetics, and allied, and there are hundreds of ways to make it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalene View Post
    Which reminds me; where in Eorzea are you all from? As not all have a link to their lodestone character in their signature, as I thought it would've been nice if there was some Phoenix (EU) people hanging around here, as I might've seen you ingame.
    Balmung
    Gilgamesh

I'm not falling for the candy and van trick either.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Balmung
    Gilgamesh

But... I have delicious candy in my van..

And onto the gil making part: I, for one, quit in the middle of patch 2.1 due to shortcomings of gil and therefore couldn't even start the relic quest due to high demand for the materials, and of course, the materia needed at the time. Now that I have 5+ million gil at all times, I don't have that feeling of not being able to do something in the world.

"Had a bad day doing DF? Time to craft! Had a bad day socializing with others? Crafting time!" etc. The fact that crafting has more or less made ~70% of overall playtime during the day doesn't bother me at all. In fact, crafting is fun, it's fun gathering the materials and use them to craft powerful gear, which has the potential to draw millions in.

Therefore, if there's anyone on Phoenix who needs someone to craft an equipment or two for ~80% of MB price (rough estimate of material cost vs finished product), just hit me up and I'll do that for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Might as well add, as some of you might've seen from what I've been posting about lately, but crafting and (to a certain degree) gathering is a whole new game by itself. Meeting the thresholds and knowing when to abuse the "Good" and "Excellent" condition when using your abilities might make the difference between NQ and HQ.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2016-06-26 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added the bolded part.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about trying an EU server, but the lag might be too much.

US player.
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Balmung
    Gilgamesh

I hail from cactuar myself.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    I hail from cactuar myself.
    Same. Raisu Shamale is my name. Bite me if you have a problem with that name.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Same. Raisu Shamale is my name. Bite me if you have a problem with that name.
    And why would I have a problem with it my character is named Kyrin Kalani.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Well I didn't mean you specifically. A lot of people seem to do... for whatever reason.

I thought about trying an EU server, but the lag might be too much.

US player.
    I have an alt on Balmung and I play from the UK. About 70-100 MS so not that bad. Definitely feels playable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wee... all crafters at 60!
    Culinarian has been subsidized by Mogry quests.

Started on Siren during the craziness of the original launch, been on Faerie since my wife started playing a little over a year ago and she wanted to pick a different server than my other characters (I was only level 40 at the time, despite having originally started at launch...I took a fair amount of breaks and restarted during that time)...

Ended up in an active FC of good people after a couple months and been there ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Money is easier than ever to come by, even better for a non crafter non gatherer than it ever has been before. I've noticed there are some people who have just decided that they will not make money. Not that they can't, but they simply refuse to. Then when they actually need something that costs money (say, anima items) they endlessly bitch about how they don't have the money. These are often the people that will never bother to do anything like dailies for materia to sell, nor will they farm some primals to post primal items on the MB.
    truth. made 20 mil when materia was added to old beast tribes. made 1 mil a week from the grade 5s from weekly VA for awhile. gil has been so easy in HW and i don't craft at all.

Recently taking a look at Square Enix's website, I've seen FFXIV only sold in basic game+Heavensward package, with no option to buy just the "vanilla" game (unless I missed it, and it is there somewhere?). However, Steam is selling just the basic game, and here's where my question comes in: if I'd buy the game from Steam, will I be able to activate it/create an account same as everyone else, and buy Heavensward from SE later and not Steam? (and would I be able to download the non-Steam client from SE?)

Also could someone say, what's the deal with "items behind real money paywall" talk a few pages ago?
    (to sort of explain why I poke around here now and then, while not being a player, I'm trying to follow the information about the game a little, so that if I quit WoW for good, I can make an informed enough decision if to buy FFXIV or not)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoneq View Post
    Recently taking a look at Square Enix's website, I've seen FFXIV only sold in basic game+Heavensward package, with no option to buy just the "vanilla" game (unless I missed it, and it is there somewhere?). However, Steam is selling just the basic game, and here's where my question comes in: if I'd buy the game from Steam, will I be able to activate it/create an account same as everyone else, and buy Heavensward from SE later and not Steam? (and would I be able to download the non-Steam client from SE?)
    Did some research on Reddit and I've heard rumours about it. Apparently, it seems that Steam & Windows have two different "licenses", think of it as buying FFXIV for Xbox (currently not able to, in this case just hypothetically) and PS4; they can't have any direct interaction with the expansions of the opposite version.

Say you purchase A Realm Reborn (FFXIV 2.0 'vanilla') on steam and wish to purchase the next expansion on the homepage of SE. As it stands right now, the key would be deemed void if it was to be spent on a steam account, unless you've purchased ARR on steam and wish to upgrade via steam.

I personally bought my version of ARR in store at launch and later upgraded (expansion) using their site.

Also could someone say, what's the deal with "items behind real money paywall" talk a few pages ago?
    (to sort of explain why I poke around here now and then, while not being a player, I'm trying to follow the information about the game a little, so that if I quit WoW for good, I can make an informed enough decision if to buy FFXIV or not)
    Although I do not know the context of this case, I would presume it's the talk about aesthetics from the Mogstation store.
    They are a bit notoriously known for hiding stuff which you could at one time obtain, free of charge, and then selling it after some time have passed for ~5-20€ (varies on region & most notably steam regional location).

For instance, the last picture below is a set you could obtain in late 2013/early 2014, which mimics Lightning's armor in the Final Fantasy XIII (13) series. Coincidentally, since I played from start to ~half a year after the initial relaunch of FFXIV (now known as FFXIV: ARR), I obtained the gear set without having to put a dime into it, however, when it became available in the mogstation, it caused a sudden influx in characters glamouring (transmog for WoW players) the set.
    I felt like a special snowflake, glamouring it onto my crafting gear the whoel 2015, only to drop it due to me losing that 'title'.

Spoiler: 

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Wee... all crafters at 60!
    Culinarian has been subsidized by Mogry quests.
    Also, congratulations.
    Now to start crafting tons to revitalize the MB market.

I highly recommend you to start gathering materials for the Seafood Stew (obviously different on the German client; star 1 recipe with +12% CP (40 max) & +4% Control (25 max) (NQ version)) and craft it. It sells like hot bread even though it's seafood stew.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2016-06-27 at 09:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, congratulations.
    Now to start crafting tons to revitalize the MB market.

I highly recommend you to start gathering materials for the Seafood Stew (obviously different on the German client; star 1 recipe with +12% CP (40 max) & +4% Control (25 max) (NQ version)) and craft it. It sells like hot bread even though it's seafood stew.
    Thanks.
    Maybe I'll give it a shot, if I can be arsed to farm the blue scripts for the mastery books.

Although I do not know the context of this case, I would presume it's the talk about aesthetics from the Mogstation store.
    They are a bit notoriously known for hiding stuff which you could at one time obtain, free of charge, and then selling it after some time have passed for ~5-20€ (varies on region & most notably steam regional location).
    The "free of charge" items are obtained in game, or the Mogstation? (so if I buy the game, should I be checking the 'station for free stuff every so often?)

10+ Year Old Account
    The "free of charge" items are obtained in game, or the Mogstation? (so if I buy the game, should I be checking the 'station for free stuff every so often?)
    In game. take the Lightning outfit/hairstyle as an example. It was part of a one time cross over event. (Me thinks it had to coincide with the Release of FF XIII for PC).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok to put it another way.

Every year wow updates items like the Brewers mug and the headless horseman mount.all holiday rewards are roughly the same

In ffxiv EVERY years holidays have new items.

Like last year we got a flying broom mount.

Now Instead if making them unobtainable they pit them on he Mogstation

3-5 dollars for accessories/outfits

10 Dollars or so for outfits and a race change potion

15 for an outfit WITH a hairstyle

Mounts are about 20 dollars. Now two or three are shop exclusive with exclusive skins and music(so e mounts have special music)

All the prices are cheaper then wows cash shop

A race change is 10 for instance a server change is 18 AND let's you transfer EVERY character from one server to another(in WoW terms you could say transfer 11 characters from Gilneas to malfurion fir 18)

Most things are obtained in game and you get a free account bound(as in every characterizes one) race change potion.

You get more bonuses the longer you subscribe ranging from costumes fir glamor to mounts and pets

Everything is cosmetic the closest to an advantage is extra retainer's which just means more items on the market iard(AH) Abd more bank space(which is supposedly being doubled next expansion)

Oh and a thing called ventures

But those are minor advantages and barely Wirth noting.

All in all I find ffxiv system much better

YAY 60 Miner! Got lucky on getting my pickaxe too. First adamantite I collected was rated at exactly 530!